Traded Matt Rosa [traded to Gold Coast for #31]

Remove this Banner Ad

If we could get a good pick for Rosa we should've done so before trading Sinclair to Sydney.
If we can use Rosa to get back close to first round and get Giles as a downgraded, but reasonable and cheap third ruck option, then this would be a massive win. We will have improved our best 22, at the expense of a little depth and somehow managed to keep a good pick.

That's right.

Call it what you want. Events have persuaded him to seek a trade after eschewing free agency and signing a new deal last year. That's quite a dramatic turnaround.

If cash is the driving force, he could have bailed at the end of last season and joined the highest bidder as a UFA.
And since he signed a contract, the team has seen a dramatic turn around, with a number of players having jumped over him in the pecking order. Now the club has recruited in two more players that also jump over him. I think we can agree to disagree, cause 'cracking the shits' would never come into my thinking when considering Rosa's motivations for requesting a trade. It is just a little too simplistic.

And since he signed a contract, the team has seen a dramatic turn around, with a number of players having jumped over him in the pecking order.
Yeah. That's what I said.

Now the club has recruited in two more players that also jump over him. I think we can agree to disagree, cause 'cracking the shits' would never come into my thinking when considering Rosa's motivations for requesting a trade. It is just a little too simplistic.
He's so dissatisfied with his place in the pecking order that he wants to leave while contracted. Like I said, call that what you want.

Pretty clear that Rosa want out because he has been pushed out of the 22. IMO he is a great depth player but with him being able to pretty much just walk to wherever he wants next year we should get something for him while we can. If WC see a player like him walk out I reckon we would like to see a similar or better player come in. If we were to package up Rosa with picks 36&37 for picks 16 and 43 from GC I would be pretty happy. May give us the currency to make a play for someone like Rich...

Pretty clear that Rosa want out because he has been pushed out of the 22. IMO he is a great depth player but with him being able to pretty much just walk to wherever he wants next year we should get something for him while we can. If WC see a player like him walk out I reckon we would like to see a similar or better player come in. If we were to package up Rosa with picks 36&37 for picks 16 and 43 from GC I would be pretty happy. May give us the currency to make a play for someone like Rich...
Or Callum ArChee

Or Callum ArChee

Ah Chee would definately be around the mark at that pick but would need to be developed before he would make an impact. Rich on the HBF and rotating through the middle would be an immediate improvement of our team. Would prob come in at the expense of butler or ellis. Prob just a pipe dream but given he will be a FA at the end of next year if Brisbane aren't convinced they can get him to re-sign it could be a possibility (or we could wait a year and have him walk to us). All hinges on whether he would be up to the move...

I would hope that the club is doing everything it can to get Matt to change his mind. It's been said previously by others, if we bring in Redden and Jetta at the expense of Selwood and Rosa, we've not really improved the club, just the starting 22. That's only a marginal win.

Rosa is a lot more use to us as a 22-25 player, and he'll play a lot of minutes next year.

Will be interesting if the Suns end up throwing 19 at the Weagles to get the deal moving.

Maybe 19 for Rosa & Weagles 2016 2nd Rd?

Gets them back into the 1st Rd of the draft.

You do that and we choke ourselves With excitement to accept

Edit: just noticed the 2016 caper...

Less enticing - but good deal nonetheless

Will be interesting if the Suns end up throwing 19 at the Weagles to get the deal moving.

Maybe 19 for Rosa & Weagles 2016 2nd Rd?

Gets them back into the 1st Rd of the draft.

Probably. We are only using two picks plus a rookie upgrade so 3 second round picks are pointless.

Ending up with 19 and 38 would be ideal.

If eagles get a first round pick for a guy with 2 years left then they wouldve walked away with the biggest steal ever and id hope they stopped complaining about Selwoods compensation
I rate Rosa over Selwood. Adapted much better to the change in game plan. Great team player with heart. Will be sad to see him go but understand he is doing the best to prolong his career at senior level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's fantasy.

Rosa is worth a late 2nd round pick at best. We're dumb to entertain trading him.

Package him with 37 for an upgrade is better than what the AFL will hand us next year. Look at what we got for Selwood, next year Rosa will get pick 70 if we are lucky.

If Gold Coast are keen and they have something that makes our list better grab it now. Remember we have Redden, Jetta and Duggan to come into our midfield last year plus Nelson and EMac down back.

Do you think we will be better off next trade period?

Is he structurally that important? No.

Equally, Rich could be acquired as a free agent in 12 months.

If it's GC chasing Rosa, surely they'd offer pick 31 or 35.

Given we've already got 36 and 37, we'd have to be looking to package 2-3 of these picks for an upgrade. Maybe for an early 20s pick that GWS get from Carlton?

That's the most likely - 31 or 35.

I can't see 16 coming into it unless we chased your 2016 Rd1.

Ie. GC 16 + 35 for Rosa + WC 2016 Rd1.
Rosa equivalent value of pick 33'ish on points.

Don't think that would happen though unless there was a kid in this years draft you were really keen on around 16'ish.

Or another option could be both GC 31 + 35 for Rosa + WC 2016 2nd Rd?
Rosa equivalent value of pick 32'ish on points.

How would that be worth our while?

Massive risk if we have a shit year in 2016.

Why do we need to involve a second-rounder from 2016 when we already have 36 and 37 for this year's draft?

Moreover, why would we trade to acquire two more picks in the 30s?

I'd have thought WC would be trying to package Rosa and picks (or just picks) for something closer to 20. Picks 36 and 37, for example, are equal in points value to pick 18.

Last edited:
That's the most likely - 31 or 35.

Rosa equivalent value of pick 33'ish on points.

Don't think that would happen though unless there was a kid in this years draft you were really keen on around 16'ish.

I couldn't imagine us ponying up next year's first rounder....

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Matt Rosa [traded to Gold Coast for #31]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back