Matthew Lloyd. Possible Forward Coach (OP updated with audio)

Would you want Lloyd as a goal kicking coach?

• Yeah, bring him to Collingwood

Votes: 35 85.4%
  • Nah, let him go to Essendon / St Kilda

Votes: 6 14.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I would love Lloyd to help Cloke....shit, it could not be worse.
Lloyd can be an arrogant shit, but damn he was good.

I thought he and Hird had an out; am I wrong???????

I like Lloyd. But I think what the Hawks are doing seems more beneficial.

Recruiting players that can kick the ball and building a gameplan around those skill which in turn allows them to have easier shots on goal?

We have been one of the most inaccurate goal kicking teams consistently for more years than I can remember now

If Lloyd even increases our accuracy slightly that will win us games.

Make it happen

I'm with you, we clearly miss so many gettable goals. It almost cost us a flag too.

The problem also now is that we don't have the zone after kick ins so we're no longer locking the ball in our forward line. So not only do we miss, we then see other teams clear our forward line easily putting our backline under pressure.

Must say why we have moved away from that to more one-on-one has me baffled.

Sorry It was a failed attempt at a joke. It was meant to show Warwick Capper naked with only a stop sign in front of him. Can't get the link to work.
images

Last edited:
Re Cloke, are his problems in his action or in his head?

Can he improve his kicking at this age?

So many questions!!

Clokes issues are not going to be solved by employing some former rooster who could kick straight. If free advice from BT or Daics can't help him why pay some former essendon terd to do the same.

Re Cloke, are his problems in his action or in his head?

Can he improve his kicking at this age?

So many questions!!

I think he can, Cognitive Behavioural therapy can work wonders and I'd be surprised if that wasn't the result of his improvement on the second half of the season.

As for the OP, bring him in. Confidence through structure and repetition couldn't hurt.

I think he can, Cognitive Behavioural therapy can work wonders and I'd be surprised if that wasn't the result of his improvement on the second half of the season.

As for the OP, bring him in. Confidence through structure and repetition couldn't hurt.

What do you charge per hour?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm with you, we clearly miss so many gettable goals. It almost cost us a flag too.

The problem also now is that we don't have the zone after kick ins so we're no longer locking the ball in our forward line. So not only do we miss, we then see other teams clear our forward line easily putting our backline under pressure.

Must say why we have moved away from that to more one-on-one has me baffled.
We are seeing the physical repercussions now of our few years of manic forward press. It's EXTREMELY taxing - both physically and mentally to impose that sort of pressure for 100% of game time and to keep it up all year.

Burnout seems to be the cost, our players just seemed to end up with empty tanks.

Also other teams worked out the press and used it against us.

Hence the change in game plan AND the change in the player list, neither was up to the rigours of current day football needs.

Hawks are crediting a big part of this years flag to fixing goal kicking.

Yeh while they sit back and laugh as all the clubs spend big on goal kicking coaches, while underpaying or removing coaches that matter e.g ruck coach.

Main components of goal kicking...

1. Kicking technique
2. Consideration of prevailing conditions - angles, wind direction and swirl, distance etc
3. Psychology
4. Practice
5. Other

1. Kicking technique. Consistently guys whose opinions I'd trust, say his ball drop is from too high and it does appear this way, esp when you watch Hawthorn's Jaryd Roughhead, similar big left footer, kick the ball. Trav's ball drop arm is stiff and his run up seems overly long the experts say, and it's hard to disagree with that.

Whether it's too late to change all that now, who knows. Are there many precedents of guys that age and stage changing their kicking style. They tried a lot with Nick Reiwoldt, not sure if you'd say that was a success or not?

Bucks has the best kicking style going around - surely if anyone is motivated to help Trav, and is a master at this skill, it's Bucks.

2. Prevailing conditions. This is where Lloyd was pretty savvy ( as well as having a very sound kicking technique) He was a pioneer with the throwing the grass in the air, which shows he was very aware in that area. A couple of chats could easily pass on that awareness - it doesn't sound that complicated to be honest.

3. Psychology. Well, I'd love to know how much our Marcelle Marceaux impersonating psychologist has talked with Trav re this, as it appears a huge area with him. You can see the angst written all over his face and it's a widely held view, again hard to disagree with, that he goes OK from 55m out when no-one expects him to kick it, than 15m out on a slight angle where he chokes up. This is probably an easier area to make strong gains than technique.

4. Practice. I think the nearer you simulate match conditions when practicing the better. It shit's me to tears, that goal kicking practice at training does not do this.
Yes they kick from different angles and distance, but never have I seen a man jumping up and down on the mark like on match day. It's a small difference some would say, but why have any difference at all I'd say back.
Goal kicking is a critical part of the game - and a specific major deficiency for us as we all know. So why short cut things here, when it could be so simply overcome.

5. Other issues - the new wrestling rules have given way too much licence for the grapevine like fullbacks to hold Trav down. He has to get better at demonstrating that he's being held without overplaying it and has to use his tank more get free from these clingons.
Call me one eyed all you like, but Trav gets nothing from the umps and because of that, he has to go about things differently, cos it ain't working well enough as is.

3. Psychology. ... and it's a widely held view, again hard to disagree with, that he goes OK from 55m out when no-one expects him to kick it, than 15m out on a slight angle where he chokes up.

Curiously, Anthony Rocca had exactly the same issue as this ---^

Lets bring him in. I think it's a bit late to correct clokes technique as I believe it is mostly in his head. But Lloyd would have a wealth of knowledge which he could pass onto our next generation of talls (Moore, Gault etc) and he could be alot more than just our kicking coach with helping the young guys out with their leading patterns, body work, positioning etc.

Some people can kick, some people cannot. How long have we been saying this about Cloke? Are you suggesting we havn't had a competant goal kicking coach at the club for the 9-10 years Travis has been at the club?

Jesse White is a good kick of the footy at goal
Jamie Elliot is a good kick of the footy at goal
Ben Reid showed in the back half of last season he was a good kick at goal
Tim Broomhead has showed he is a good kick of the footy
Jarryd Blair, Alex fasolo, Dayne Beams (obviously not next year) have all been good kicks of the footy at goal.

There has been plenty of good goal kickers at the club, Travis Cloke is just a terrible kick at goal, thats all there is too it. The only way he could improve would have to be biomechanically which I would assume there is much more experienced and qualified people than Matthew Lloyd to observe and make the required changes, and again to suggest the club has not been working on that with Travis over the past 10 years would have to be moronic, or the club is moronic for not doing so.

I would say the problem is more within the structure, if there was some way you could view where our scoring shots came from in comparison to the top couple of teams, I would think the problem would lay there. Maybe Champion Data has an image of this in their book? I don't know, I don't have it but that is the first place I would be looking.

Disagree. Missed so many gettable goals during the season. It was all the more frustrating coz he barely got a ****in kick!

Remove this Banner Ad

Matthew Lloyd. Possible Forward Coach (OP updated with audio)

Back