Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 2) - Full Support of the Board

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nicks is what he is.

And the next coach will be what he will be.

But please, Crows fans, for the love of God, direct your vitriol to the right people.

How many coaches & CEOs do we need to go through before people realize what the source of the problem is?

Your right but really it's Roo who is to blame. Olson would be kept up to date but the rest have very little input into any football decisions. Given the football knowledge of some of them that is probably a good thing.

But they knew what the problem was and was going to fix it!!

They did fix it according to Nicks, according to him the structure was supposedly back to what it was last year.

It's the players lacking confidence and using the ball poorly that's apparently the issue 🤮

Nicks has completely mismanaged preseason and selection. It's the reason we sit where we do. We should be sitting on at least 2 wins.

So your view is that Max was confused by an overload of instruction and was making a poor decision when he missed an easy kick inside 50 hitting up a player who would have had an uncontested marking opportunity? It wasn't even a decision issue, what he was trying to do was fine, it was just a basic skill error.

What you're saying is definitely happening, but it doesn't explain everything that is going wrong. Even if everything was in perfect alignment with the gameplan you still have to execute basic skills.

That said if you want to blame the coach for people missing basic kicks that's fine. Personally I don't think there's much Nicks can do about it, but there's other things he should be able to fix.
As an example when players are confused their brain can freeze and their bodies tighten up

Ie he may have the action to kick but either holds the kick or over kicks or even between ball drop and kick miscues

tl:dr he certainly could be overthinking

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As an example when players are confused their brain can freeze and their bodies tighten up

Ie he may have the action to kick but either holds the kick or over kicks or even between ball drop and kick miscues

tl:dr he certainly could be overthinking
You've probably got players thinking "If I take this option am I gonna get chewed out in the review on Monday?"

Well due to technical difficulties I didn't get to see Coachman's honourable loss.

But based on my review of the game score line it appears I can award Coachman 2 quarters this week. This makes it a grand total of 5 good quarters in 4 games.

But were we really in with a shot of winning the game? I don't think we were. Melbourne looked for the best part of the first quarter to stuck in 1st gear while Coachmans band of merry teenagers had the happy clappers cheering away with their knitting needles as they piled on the points. Then Melbourne from what I could tell, dumped the clutch in the 2nd and 3rd, flattened the accelerator and like Verstappen passing an Alpine did it with virtual ease before simply settling back into maintaining a lead.

But then as Coachman does best, he bandied together his group of teenagers, revved them up for one final quarter assault as he threw every trick in his book to get an honourable loss.

For those playing at home, I've nicknamed Nicks 'Coachman' in tribute to the club rating him a supercoach as he continues to lead the way by coaching those troublesome teenagers many still believe we have to honourable loss and tight defensive efforts. Scoring, who needs it,....its overrated right?

Listening to Silvers on 5AA, he’s acknowledged ball movement needs to improve but again going down the players are out of form, we had pressure put on internally and made some changes, expect a response.

All players don’t go out of form without something being wrong, how about putting it on the coaches?

Silvers has no choice but to publicly back Nicks as he is the hired face of the board. So all Silvers can do is tow the company line unfortunately.

But you are right.

As ive always said, either they are playing to Nicks game plan or they aren't playing it at all. Either way Nicks is at fault.

We need to not * about now and actually bottom out..don't piss fart around getting cheap wins,.just secure the number 1 pick, sack this fraud and be done with it.

The floor is 17th. You won’t be finishing last.

Given the relative closeness of three of the losses, it will embolden him (Nicks) to believe that things will turn, if they stick to the process etc etc.

He’ll be out the door at the end of the year (sooner) if things keep going as they are. Expect a major, instantaneous improvement once he does go. He could drive some improvement himself by selecting the right side (promoting/giving more opportunities for younger players), changing the midfield mix, abandoning this “defensive” garbage and reinforcing the need for positive, attacking football.

We are poor across all aspects of the club. Anybody remember this AFC article?

It's a puff piece put out by the club, but holds some key information:

The article talks of how he spent more time in the midfield group during the preseason.

“I think myself, Izak (Rankine) and Luke (Pedlar) will have a pretty fluid rotation through there which I think will be very exciting, we all bring similar strengths and work together really well."

So the club releases an article about how Rachele will play more midfield. Rachele confirms this and talks about his expectations for more midfield time in 2024. He spent a lot of time in the midfield in the first 7 rounds of 2023.

Then we start the season - Rachele gets a total of 2 CBA's in the first 2 games in bad losses and our midfield is labeled "Vanilla".

Prior to the Free game this article comes out.

His direct quotes:

"I'd like to inject myself in at times, especially when you have those quarters on the weekend when you're not getting a lot of the ball"
"I'd like to go in there a little bit more and not just help myself, but help the team a bit more as well"

How did Nicks respond to this. Quite simply by giving him ZERO CBA's the next two weeks and we are now 0-4.

Are we starting to see the first real rifts between the lovable Matty Nicks and the playing group? Would imagine Rankine, Pedlar and Rachele are all not too happy right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back