Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 2) - Full Support of the Board

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

So what happens next week against Carlton at the Marvel Stadium?

We don’t make finals.

We don’t take the game on. That is on the coach and his game plan.

Now interestingly I heard Campo say before the game, they focused principally on defence with little offence planning occurring. Well if that is the case, that is poor preparation for a season. Yes, focus on defence but you need to kick goals to win.

Nicks is in the classic death spiral of all failed senior coaches and backing in experienced players that aren't getting it done. He's probably trying to work out how to fit Sloane into the side right now.

RnyY158.jpeg

Nicks said he’d worked it out

Nicks said he’d fixed it

He hasn’t

Proves he didnt know how to fix it

And will never know

Has to go

He’s stuffed it

Credit to 5AA, they brought that up - Nicks said they've identified the problem(just one?) and addressed it...

Sure as hell did not look like it today.

The only times we looked half decent was when Sog or Rash were having a crack at the game.

I don’t think you can say that. On what basis are they individually out of form?

That the entire team is confused, without system, poorly led - how is that a player is out of form

That’s just a convenient excuse to point the finger away from the coaches

When everyone starts in round 1 like crap, that’s not form.

The entire forward line can't kick multiple goals, including last year's AA KPF and 2 x sub 6 draft picked small forwards. Yep, it's definitely individual players that are failing. Not to mention the failed pick 11 that is Pedlar. Definitely it's the players letting us down.

I don’t think you can say that. On what basis are they individually out of form?

That the entire team is confused, without system, poorly led - how is that a player is out of form

That’s just a convenient excuse to point the finger away from the coaches

When everyone starts in round 1 like crap, that’s not form.
Pinning everything on the coach is fine in a 'the buck stops here' sort of way. Nicks is ultimately responsible for the performance of the team, and I think some of our skill errors are related to not having a clear sense of what to do, which is a gameplan problem.

But for example tonight when Michalanney had the ball in a ton of space after Dawson set him up and just missed a 20 metre pass into the forward 50 and kicked it straight to a defender - that is not gameplan related as far as I'm concerned. Last year he nails that pass, and this is not a spot where he doesn't have a target or doesn't know what to do or is under a ton of pressure. So for me that's form, or you can call it confidence or whatever you want. This has been happening a ton, especially against Fremantle which was some of the worst skills I've seen from Adelaide since the spoon year.

Still warrants the question of what has happened of course, but last year guys like Dawson, Michalanney, Hinge etc. are not missing some of the kicks they've been missing this season. We've got a bunch of issues and on top of that some of our stronger players are playing quite poorly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pinning everything on the coach is fine in a 'the buck stops here' sort of way. Nicks is ultimately responsible for the performance of the team, and I think some of our skill errors are related to not having a clear sense of what to do, which is a gameplan problem.

But for example tonight when Michalanney had the ball in a ton of space after Dawson set him up and just missed a 20 metre pass into the forward 50 and kicked it straight to a defender - that is not gameplan related as far as I'm concerned. Last year he nails that pass, and this is not a spot where he doesn't have a target or doesn't know what to do or is under a ton of pressure. So for me that's form, or you can call it confidence or whatever you want. This has been happening a ton, especially against Fremantle which was some of the worst skills I've seen from Adelaide since the spoon year.

Still warrants the question of what has happened of course, but last year guys like Dawson, Michalanney, Hinge etc. are not missing some of the kicks they've been missing this season. We've got a bunch of issues and on top of that some of our stronger players are playing quite poorly.

Players confused by system, confused by overload of instruction often hesitate, make poor decisions and as a result execute poorly too

Brodie Smith just said Nicks post match feedback to the group was “a step in the right direction”

Seriously, what a loser

Players confused by system, confused by overload of instruction often hesitate, make poor decisions and as a result execute poorly too
So your view is that Max was confused by an overload of instruction and was making a poor decision when he missed an easy kick inside 50 hitting up a player who would have had an uncontested marking opportunity? It wasn't even a decision issue, what he was trying to do was fine, it was just a basic skill error.

What you're saying is definitely happening, but it doesn't explain everything that is going wrong. Even if everything was in perfect alignment with the gameplan you still have to execute basic skills.

That said if you want to blame the coach for people missing basic kicks that's fine. Personally I don't think there's much Nicks can do about it, but there's other things he should be able to fix.

Skills are also the responsibility of the coach, either to improve them or to not select players with poor skills

So your view is that Max was confused by an overload of instruction and was making a poor decision when he missed an easy kick inside 50 hitting up a player who would have had an uncontested marking opportunity? It wasn't even a decision issue, what he was trying to do was fine, it was just a basic skill error.

What you're saying is definitely happening, but it doesn't explain everything that is going wrong. Even if everything was in perfect alignment with the gameplan you still have to execute basic skills.

That said if you want to blame the coach for people missing basic kicks that's fine. Personally I don't think there's much Nicks can do about it, but there's other things he should be able to fix.

Players overthink for a reason. And overthinking is absolutely a huge cause of basic skill errors

Because 1 single skill error in a match doesn’t matter, it’s a trivial data point

When those same skill errors permeate and repeat across the team, across the match and across the season - that’s a team overthinking; and that’s why you noticed them, it’s why we all notice them

And it’s why interim coaches usually get a sudden, dead cat bounce when players are freed up to not think, just go out and play fast

Those players are being overloaded in response to the poor start, even more than usual. And maybe that was the problem in preseason?

No one seems to know what they’re supposed to do because they’ve got too many instructions and rules to abide by

Crazy to think we're still paying for Burton/Roo's horrible tenure.

We chose a rookie coach on the back of him being a good bloke - because the Club was so utterly ****ed we needed to find somebody to try and make everybody feel better about the place.

Now we've got a good bloke first time coach, who's only strength appears to be that - being a good bloke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back