Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 2) - Full Support of the Board

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We should have started cataloguing all his bullshit, would be good to shove back at the club.

But it’s not a lie if you believe it ;)
Nah I reckon it's a lie as in he doesn't believe it, but said it to deflect

The thing is from a list point of view he’s not entirely wrong, there has been some significant progress.

Thilthorpe: Unfortunately lost most of the year, but has been brilliant since his return, is poised for a breakout 50+ goal year next year.

Rachele: Despite the haters, has put together a very consistent year as a half forward and has had some really high class moments. Still a level to go up, but building consistency for a third year player is huge.

Dawson: Not as good of a year last year, but I think we’ve probably found what his best role is as an onballer/utility. I think his marking has actually gone up a level which adds a unique dimension.

Soligo: Been brilliant, probably won’t be an elite mid but made the step to being a very good one and will likely stay there for a long time.

Michalanney: I think we’re seeing more of the offensive elements of his game start to build.

Taylor: been impressive from limited opportunities.

Rankine: Started to make the jump to being in the elite players of the competition.

Worrell: Very good this year, broken arm came at the worst time unfortunately.

Nankervis: Performing very consistently off half back.

Dowling: has hardly put a foot wrong in the AFL side

Fogarty: after a poor first month has had probably his longest run of consistent performances.

Sholl: has become a very good wingman, and improved on his deficiencies.

The issue is, a lot of these things have happened in spite of Nicks.

Would Agree with most the individual player call outs outside of Rachele. Really struggle to think of his 2024 season as a whole as something that's progressed in a positive direction.

Great game last night but for the large part, really struggled to get going - don't think that fault sits entirely on his shoulders either for that matter.

Would Agree with most the individual player call outs outside of Rachele. Really struggle to think of his 2024 season as a whole as something that's progressed in a positive direction.

Great game last night but for the large part, really struggled to get going - don't think that fault sits entirely on his shoulders either for that matter.

Here is my issue with this statement:

I don’t disagree that Rach has had some bad moments this year. However, a lot of people, on this board, people I talk to, and even the media, are watching those moments and translating them to mean he is playing poorly, not progressing or even as far as he’s a bust or should be traded.

He has put together a very consistent year, averaging 14.6 disposals, 3.6 marks, 3 inside 50s, 1.4 goals, 0.9 assists and 5.6 score involvements. All of those numbers are above average for a small forward.

If you also look back, and not focus on one or two bad moments, there are very few games where you would actually say he performed badly across the whole game. I’d say probably the Brisbane and Hawthorn away games and that’s it.

Is it really so hard for some people to believe we’ve had two really crap coaches in a row? Pyke was crap. Nicks is crap. The two are not mutually exclusive.

Let’s not get distracted here.
No, Pyke was decent strategic coach who had us tracking for a flag til he was Birdbrained.

If you listen to him & Nicks talk, it's chalk & cheese.

Pyke has a very high IQ... Nicks not so.

Last edited:
Will be interesting to see the clubs response if Curtin leaves.

Pretty obvious Nicks doesn't like him. Yesterday was an insult to Curtin. Where is the incentive to stay when WCE/Freo come for him.

It will be 100% Nicks fault if Curtin leaves.

Will the club continue to back in Nicks if this happens?

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

The thing is from a list point of view he’s not entirely wrong, there has been some significant progress.

Thilthorpe: Unfortunately lost most of the year, but has been brilliant since his return, is poised for a breakout 50+ goal year next year.

Rachele: Despite the haters, has put together a very consistent year as a half forward and has had some really high class moments. Still a level to go up, but building consistency for a third year player is huge.

Dawson: Not as good of a year last year, but I think we’ve probably found what his best role is as an onballer/utility. I think his marking has actually gone up a level which adds a unique dimension.

Soligo: Been brilliant, probably won’t be an elite mid but made the step to being a very good one and will likely stay there for a long time.

Michalanney: I think we’re seeing more of the offensive elements of his game start to build.

Taylor: been impressive from limited opportunities.

Rankine: Started to make the jump to being in the elite players of the competition.

Worrell: Very good this year, broken arm came at the worst time unfortunately.

Nankervis: Performing very consistently off half back.

Dowling: has hardly put a foot wrong in the AFL side

Fogarty: after a poor first month has had probably his longest run of consistent performances.

Sholl: has become a very good wingman, and improved on his deficiencies.

The issue is, a lot of these things have happened in spite of Nicks.
Bang on 💯

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bar Steven Rowe (who has seemingly been silenced), there is not one single ex player that speaks out. Mediocrity runs through this club’s veins. Where’s our Warren Tredrea? Who is going to call out the treatment of Curtin for instance? How nice it must be for nicks and co to have zero accountability.

Pretty obvious Nicks doesn't like him. Yesterday was an insult to Curtin. Where is the incentive to stay when WCE/Freo come for him.

If you have supporters that dont begrudge him leaving then the coach is completely untenable.

You can see West Coast putting a monster offer in front if him.... Like $1m a season level of offer....

Curtin has been completely Nicksed.... A real real shame.

We should have started cataloguing all his bullshit, would be good to shove back at the club.

But it’s not a lie if you believe it ;)
I'm starting to think Nicks's talent for bullshit might be his only talent. The fact that people take for granted that he's a "good bloke". There is an earnestness to the guy that makes people think he's well meaning but delusional and not a cynical operator just lying his arse off.

No, Pyke was decent strategic coach who had us tracking for a flag til he was Birdbrained.

If you listen to him & Nicks talk, it's chalk & cheese.

Pyke has a very high IQ... Nicks not so.
as someone who literally worked with the man, I disagree.

Edit: should qualify this in that it takes a lot to be a senior coach and I’ll give you a bone in that boy did don pyke have negative points in the charisma and people skills department which would be overshadowing any “IQ” you may speak of. I just didn’t see much of it.

Nobody's bigger than the club..
but Curtain could be a BIG part of it!
Nix.. more of a blip.

Our next premiership coach
Matthew Nicks

102 games coached over 5 seasons.
36 wins

the 36 wins include
6 wins against North Melbourne
5 wins against West Coast

Bar Steven Rowe (who has seemingly been silenced), there is not one single ex player that speaks out. Mediocrity runs through this club’s veins. Where’s our Warren Tredrea? Who is going to call out the treatment of Curtin for instance? How nice it must be for nicks and co to have zero accountability.
I don't listen to Triple M but Vince & Jarman were scathing (that same weekend Rowey tee'd off) Not sure if they've keep the pressure on though.

I disagree. We had massive cultural issues when Nicks came on board. Our kids wouldn’t stay and we couldn’t get decent players here. Under Nicks the kids want to stay and we brought in Dawson and Rankine. He brought us through the teething pains, but now we need someone to do the toilet training.
I hope that ‘kids’ want to stay. Remains to be seen I’m thinking.

Was Kingsley ever in the mix for the AC job. If yes, we chose poorly

Indiana Jones GIF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back