Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 2) - Full Support of the Board

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm more concerned the whole side is wasting under Nicks..
We will eventually pay the price for this decision of extending Nicks when we lose players we should be keeping.

Sacking Nicks wouldnt have lost us any players, but keeping him is more likely to have.

We will eventually pay the price for this decision of extending Nicks when we lose players we should be keeping.

Sacking Nicks wouldnt have lost us any players, but keeping him is more likely to have.
Also, hinder us attracting players too.

We’ve signed up a truck load under Nicks.
How much of that is because Nicks had them fooled with where we were going? We’ve seen what he’s like with the media, he’s Hinkleys dodgy used car salesman apprentice, he’s untouchable in the media even though they criticise key aspects of his coaching.

How would the young players have reacted to Curtins treatment? Being told they need to learn the A teams values? How they aren’t ready as they’ve got stuff to work on whilst we have spuds getting games in the seniors? Nank being made sub for Smith? ****ing up our gameplan to blow our season? Blaming the players and never taking responsibility? Missing the finals again?

His swarmy routine will only last so long and I suspect the players would be having huge reservations about him.

Can’t say who, senior or junior, but from a family member, the player doesn’t rate Nicks as a bloke and that was this year.

How much of that is because Nicks had them fooled with where we were going? We’ve seen what he’s like with the media, he’s Hinkleys dodgy used car salesman apprentice, he’s untouchable in the media even though they criticise key aspects of his coaching.

How would the young players have reacted to Curtins treatment? Being told they need to learn the A teams values? How they aren’t ready as they’ve got stuff to work on whilst we have spuds getting games in the seniors? Nank being made sub for Smith? ****ing up our gameplan to blow our season? Blaming the players and never taking responsibility? Missing the finals again?

His swarmy routine will only last so long and I suspect the players would be having huge reservations about him.

Can’t say who, senior or junior, but from a family member, the player doesn’t rate Nicks as a bloke and that was this year.

I'd say there would be a few.

I reckon we signed up heaps of players because our list is crap, we had heaps of cap space as a result and struggled to attract anyone worthy of that cap space.

Nicks having good bloke vibes helped, but I think it's mostly due to having money to retain players for once.

Now retention was only part of our cultural issues, we also had problems with attitude and entitlement. Personally I still have question marks over whether Nicks made much headway fixing the entitlement of senior players in the squad

I reckon we signed up heaps of players because our list is crap, we had heaps of cap space as a result and struggled to attract anyone worthy of that cap space.

Nicks having good bloke vibes helped, but I think it's mostly due to having money to retain players for once.

Now retention was only part of our cultural issues, we also had problems with attitude and entitlement. Personally I still have question marks over whether Nicks made much headway fixing the entitlement of senior players in the squad
Especially with Laird, this year moving front and centre to the head of the Entitlement Mt Rushmore!

Personally I still have question marks over whether Nicks made much headway fixing the entitlement of senior players in the squad
I think it’s clear he hasn’t, but this problem is much bigger than Nicks unfortunately. It’s almost like the club got sick of the senior players revolting against their coach they decided it’d be easier to just hire a guy who’d mollycoddle them

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nicks after close losses despite leading late:

"I am incredibly proud of the group. They showed a lot of heart. We never gave up."

Mitchell today, asked if he's proud of the effort:

"Errr... *dismissive chuckle and shake of the head"... I'm not ready for that yet. I'm enormously frustrated and disappointed. We held them for three quarters but you have to do it for four quarters. We lick our wounds and move on."

Players reflect their coach.

I think it’s clear he hasn’t, but this problem is much bigger than Nicks unfortunately. It’s almost like the club got sick of the senior players revolting against their coach they decided it’d be easier to just hire a guy who’d mollycoddle them
I'm not sure he mollycoddled all of the players - he turfed Brad Crouch and Atkins pretty quickly - but he did seem to play favorites. Those in his "it group" have been heavily favoured

Nicks after close losses despite leading late:

"I am incredibly proud of the group. They showed a lot of heart. We never gave up."

Mitchell today, asked if he's proud of the effort:

"Errr... *dismissive chuckle and shake of the head"... I'm not ready for that yet. I'm enormously frustrated and disappointed. We held them for three quarters but you have to do it for four quarters. We lick our wounds and move on."

Players reflect their coach.
This is fine

For a while

But it can get draining for both players and coaches

But I agree soft pedalling doesn't work either

Give me standards anyday

Will be interesting to see the clubs response if Curtin leaves.

Pretty obvious Nicks doesn't like him. Yesterday was an insult to Curtin. Where is the incentive to stay when WCE/Freo come for him.

It will be 100% Nicks fault if Curtin leaves.

Will the club continue to back in Nicks if this happens?

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app
It's actually starting to appear to me that the club is perhaps pushing his inclusion against the will of Nicks

And Nicks response is (sub)

Against Port I felt Curtin was okay, seemed like he was still adjusting to the pace of the game, but not disgraced. We then sub him.

Against Brisbane he had a shocking half, I agreed with subbing him then, don’t want to kill his confidence, but we needed to back him in for the third game to give confidence.

Against Hawthorn he was subbed in for junk time, got busy but hard to judge.

We then give him four minutes against Geelong.

Where is his chance to adjust to AFL, feel in the game and start to show what he’s got?

Or does one bad half of footy mean everything we drafted him for and strong performances in the reserves is irrelevant?

****ing disgraceful coaching.

Curtin simply has to play a full game next week.

Against Port I felt Curtin was okay, seemed like he was still adjusting to the pace of the game, but not disgraced. We then sub him.

Against Brisbane he had a shocking half, I agreed with subbing him then, don’t want to kill his confidence, but we needed to back him in for the third game to give confidence.

Against Hawthorn he was subbed in for junk time, got busy but hard to judge.

We then give him four minutes against Geelong.

Where is his chance to adjust to AFL, feel in the game and start to show what he’s got?

Or does one bad half of footy mean everything we drafted him for and strong performances in the reserves is irrelevant?

****ing disgraceful coaching.

Curtin simply has to play a full game next week.
I’d love to hear the opinion of one of the Nicks supporters regarding Nicks treatment of Curtin, it’s almost as if they couldn’t come out and say anything critical of Nicks

Here is my issue with this statement:

I don’t disagree that Rach has had some bad moments this year. However, a lot of people, on this board, people I talk to, and even the media, are watching those moments and translating them to mean he is playing poorly, not progressing or even as far as he’s a bust or should be traded.

He has put together a very consistent year, averaging 14.6 disposals, 3.6 marks, 3 inside 50s, 1.4 goals, 0.9 assists and 5.6 score involvements. All of those numbers are above average for a small forward.

If you also look back, and not focus on one or two bad moments, there are very few games where you would actually say he performed badly across the whole game. I’d say probably the Brisbane and Hawthorn away games and that’s it.
Grab his stats form last year and there's no improvement, basically backwards. That's the disappointing thing given from all reports he was having a very strong pre season.

Grab his stats form last year and there's no improvement, basically backwards. That's the disappointing thing given from all reports he was having a very strong pre season.

His stats have improved on last year if you take out the first six weeks where he played significant midfield minutes.

Not his fault Nicks has taken that role (that he was really good in) away for no good reason.

as someone who literally worked with the man, I disagree.

Edit: should qualify this in that it takes a lot to be a senior coach and I’ll give you a bone in that boy did don pyke have negative points in the charisma and people skills department which would be overshadowing any “IQ” you may speak of. I just didn’t see much of it.
Pyke the smarter individual and better coach. Clearly stronger IQ.

Nicks the friendlier culture builder which only gets you so far.. Stronger EQ than Pyke. Also worked as a stockbroker (sticking up for my brothers) so perhaps not a complete dimwit either but a couple of cogs down from Pyke who I thought was the smartest coach in the league

Progress?

Points per game 82.35
Points against per game 82.50
Winning percentage (incl draw) 37.5%

Points per game 95.34
Points against per game 81.6
Winning percentage 48%

What metric have we improved in this year?

The amount of blatant BS that this club continuously pumps out to cover up their failure is ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back