Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 2) - Full Support of the Board

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Progress?

Points per game 82.35
Points against per game 82.50
Winning percentage (incl draw) 37.5%

Points per game 95.34
Points against per game 81.6
Winning percentage 48%

What metric have we improved in this year?

The amount of blatant BS that this club continuously pumps out to cover up their failure is ridiculous.
"REbUILdS arEnT AlwaYS liNeAr"

The usual damage control.

Apparently the next hardwick even though he only took 3 years to make finals. Delusional idiots.

Last edited:
Pyke the smarter individual and better coach. Clearly stronger IQ.

Nicks the friendlier culture builder which only gets you so far.. Stronger EQ than Pyke. Also worked as a stockbroker (sticking up for my brothers) so perhaps not a complete dimwit either but a couple of cogs down from Pyke who I thought was the smartest coach in the league
I don't really buy this argument about being a culture builder.

You're a culture builder when you win. Luke Beveridge by all accounts is a nut case, but as a fan I'd certainly take the culture he's built over what Nicks has done here.

Pykey was a million times better than Nicks. He made a massive mistake giving birdbrains the authority to lead that camp, but I still rate him as a very good coach.

Progress?

Points per game 82.35
Points against per game 82.50
Winning percentage (incl draw) 37.5%

Points per game 95.34
Points against per game 81.6
Winning percentage 48%

What metric have we improved in this year?

The amount of blatant BS that this club continuously pumps out to cover up their failure is ridiculous.
Emergence of Rankine and Soligo as midfielders and Taylor, Nankervis and Dowling as quality AFL players (I think Cook will be as well) but I wouldn't give much credit to Nicks though as he only gave them opportunities due to injuries and didn't play Nankervis immediately despite showing he is AFL quality late last year.

Last edited:

You're a culture builder when you win. Luke Beveridge by all accounts is a nut case, but as a fan I'd certainly take the culture he's built over what Nicks has done here.

Pykey was a million times better than Nicks. He made a massive mistake giving birdbrains the authority to lead that camp, but I still rate him as a very good coach.

The camp was not the problem. I think this has been well established. But someone on Eddies side took it upon themselves to trash the club in the media which became the cancer. And calling Brett Burton that is highly disrespectful.

You are right on your other points though. Remember the Club rated Pyke and wanted him to stay on.

Who has the quote from Tex where he says playing under Nicks is great because Nicks doesn't worry about whether you are late to meetings. If that isn't a major red flag 5 years in I don't know what is.

Although I am sure that the relaxed fun approach to football has nothing to do with us winning only 5 of the 18 games that were decided by 6 points or less in the past 3 seasons.

Last edited:

firstly, i agree 100% with with your last sentence about Pyke>Nicks.

Re culture, will agree to disagree as I think its a real thing and you need to build and entrench habits - the behaviours, and process based on holistic values and vision - rather than just purely look at the now. 'Just' winning doesnt necessarily create a long term sustainable future. This is true for both sporting organisations and business (who may maximise short term profit at the expense of sustainable long term growth and profits)

There is a balance required and Nicks has effectively had the youngest and most inexperienced team (or close to) over the last couple of years and we have shown to be not far off. Players are playing for him and re-signing like never before (inc gun interstate MLB kids on LT contracts - Soli, Rachele, Worrell is contracted until he becomes a FA). Frustrating year certainly with lots of close losses (to gun teams - Pies, Lions and Cats away and Lions, Dons at home) and a few outlier shocking losses (Tigers, Horks x 2)

Why are all these interstate kids re-signing in your view? It has never happened before under previous coaches IIRC.

Emergence of Rankine and Soligo as midfielders and Taylor, Nankervis and Dowling as quality AFL players (I think Cook will be as well) but I wouldn't give much credit to Nicks though as he only gave them opportunities due to injuries and didn't play Nankervis immediately despite showing he is AFL quality late last year.
plus Worrell and I would argue Keane in defence. Also Sholl will be top 5 in B&F has shown he is a solid winger for us going forward. Fog has shown more this year and glad he has stepped up. Little glimpse of our next elite player TT in recent weeks after Rankine showed anyone who questioned him (you know who you are :) ) of his absolute elite qualities with Kingy calling him a coming top 3 player in the league and I think he is our best player for the rest of this decade.

BIGGEST disappointments (besides injuries to young key players) are Pedlar and Jones after good years last year. And still not winning a handful of close games

Re culture, will agree to disagree as I think its a real thing and you need to build and entrench habits - the behaviours, and process based on holistic values and vision - rather than just purely look at the now. 'Just' winning doesnt necessarily create a long term sustainable future.
?? But this is Nicks 100 % . His values are cliche ridden drivel. Its our DNA, Im proud of the team. We came up against a better team

What tosh. They mean nothing and have no value

Standards? Ok What standards would they be? Miss training thats ok . Senior player - SANFL isnt your area . Being the best at your job? '' I will learn from that' well no dont make the mistake in the 1st place

You can hug as many players as you want for as long as you want but you wont be successful - BECAUSE THE PLAYERS WILL TAKE ADVANTAGE OF YOU
There is a balance required and Nicks has effectively had the youngest and most inexperienced team (or close to) over the last couple of years and we have shown to be not far off. Players are playing for him and re-signing like never before (inc gun interstate MLB kids on LT contracts - Soli, Rachele, Worrell is contracted until he becomes a FA).
Show any 20 yr old a lot of money and they will sign. I dont necessarily see LT contracts as being a sign of good culture. One could argue its counter-productive to good culture as players can get lazy and others may be resentful
Why are all these interstate kids re-signing in your view? It has never happened before under previous coaches IIRC.
We had a hierarchy system in place for a long long long time where even a McLeod was put onto 1 year contracts once he turned 30 and the 25 yr olds were given the gold - thats why its never previously happened

Plus LT -5 to 7 year contracts were not happening or monster Buddy deals

Get back to me when one of these players doesnt break his contract early

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The camp was not the problem. I think this has been well established. But someone on Eddies side took it upon themselves to trash the club in the media which became the cancer. And calling Brett Burton that is highly disrespectful.

You are right on your other points though. Remember the Club rated Pyke and wanted him to stay on.
The camp definitely was an issue.

It didn't have to be a huge issue, but it became one due to the club handling it really poorly and trying to cover it up.

I completely understand why some players were aggrieved and felt like the club had let them down because the club 100% let the players down.

As for being disrespectful to Burton, that guy was a maverick who singlehandedly caused the club to implode while his mate Roo ran a protection racket to cover up for his incompetence which made it 10 times worse. Calling the guy Bird brain is letting him off lightly.

Last edited:

That's not actually "improvement" though, yes there's been some development and some individual improvement this year, but there's been no overall improvement from 2023.

Ultimately the best cultures are a winning one.

We are the opposite of a winming culture.

Thinking about it now too, doesn't Crouch straight in after 2 months off highlight the double standards Nicks has.

Soligo with 3 weeks on a modified program near the end of pre-season? Can't run out a game, better make him sub.

Matt Crouch out for 2 months and illness the week before? Straight back in, mate.

plus Worrell and I would argue Keane in defence. Also Sholl will be top 5 in B&F has shown he is a solid winger for us going forward. Fog has shown more this year and glad he has stepped up. Little glimpse of our next elite player TT in recent weeks after Rankine showed anyone who questioned him (you know who you are :) ) of his absolute elite qualities with Kingy calling him a coming top 3 player in the league and I think he is our best player for the rest of this decade.

BIGGEST disappointments (besides injuries to young key players) are Pedlar and Jones after good years last year. And still not winning a handful of close games
Good points on the others, if anyone can't see the list has significantly progressed this year despite the shit selections and decision are blinded by their hatred of Nicks. The next senior coach will have a lot to work with.

Thinking about it now too, doesn't Crouch straight in after 2 months off highlight the double standards Nicks has.

Soligo with 3 weeks on a modified program near the end of pre-season? Can't run out a game, better make him sub.

Matt Crouch out for 2 months and illness the week before? Straight back in, mate.
Look I agree, however we have such a void in experienced players, there has to be an exception sometimes. Crouch was ok. Certainly wasn't the liability I thought he could have been. The handling of Curtin was the mistake here, not the inclusion of Crouch (IMO).

Look I agree, however we have such a void in experienced players, there has to be an exception sometimes. Crouch was ok. Certainly wasn't the liability I thought he could have been. The handling of Curtin was the mistake here, not the inclusion of Crouch (IMO).
The problem is Nicks philosophy is experience = success.

It doesn't work like that. You actually have to be good too.

The larger problem is he didn't seem to have a plan for Crouch getting gassed. It was just throw him in and hope it works out. He's going in with a known risk of Crouch tanking himself half-way through a game because he hasn't played a game of football in 10 weeks and just basically hoped it'd work out. And we're saying Curtin is a mid now, so it's not like there wasn't a clear swap available for them to make, he just didn't want to drag an experienced player off, but basically had no other choice by the end.

Bruhn got off the chain in that 3rd quarter matched up on Crouch. 11 disposals, 7 contested, 5 clearances and a goal.

That's if you believe Soligo was genuinely managed in round 1

I'm still going with he selected the same team on purpose that won in the pre-season match against West Coast a few weeks prior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back