Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 2) - Full Support of the Board

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The larger problem is he didn't seem to have a plan for Crouch getting gassed. It was just throw him in and hope it works out. He's going in with a known risk of Crouch tanking himself half-way through a game because he hasn't played a game of football in 10 weeks and just basically hoped it'd work out. And we're saying Curtin is a mid now, so it's not like there wasn't a clear swap available for them to make, he just didn't want to drag an experienced player off, but basically had no other choice by the end.

Bruhn got off the chain in that 3rd quarter matched up on Crouch. 11 disposals, 7 contested, 5 clearances and a goal.
That third quarter was when we made our comeback though, wasn't it?.. Nicks didn't want to change something that was working. He said as much in his presser. And I kind of get that. The problem was by the time it wasn't working it was too frigging late. There SHOULD have been a plan to get Curtin on to replace Crouch at the halfway mark of that third quarter. Regardless of the status of the game (and obviously not allowing for any earlier injuries and assuming Crouch was running out of legs). Nicks' has done that before so it wouldn't have been a new concept.

That third quarter was when we made our comeback though, wasn't it?.. Nicks didn't want to change something that was working. He said as much in his presser. And I kind of get that. The problem was by the time it wasn't working it was too frigging late. There SHOULD have been a plan to get Curtin on to replace Crouch at the halfway mark of that third quarter. Regardless of the status of the game (and obviously not allowing for any earlier injuries and assuming Crouch was running out of legs). Nicks' has done that before so it wouldn't have been a new concept.
Plan and Nicks should never be used in the same post. :think:

This is where Nicks contradicts himself. Our run was in spite of Crouch getting torched in the third, and Nicks himself saw that by moving Keays in there, who was instrumental in getting us going. He also acknowledged in his presser that we got done in stoppage ground ball gets.

So on the one hand, he sees we're getting done midfield in ground ball so injects Keays. Good move. But then he keeps the bloke who was getting done in the rotation. Illogical.

That one circumstance tells you all you need to know about Nicks. He is wedded to "seniority", lacks clarity in his decision making and completely lacks trust in young players.

I agree he thought we could hold on but he still should have seen his man management issue

It's baffling that some games he openly says about the sub ' we managed his time ' yet failed to plan for a fatigued Crouch after 2 months off

The larger problem is he didn't seem to have a plan for Crouch getting gassed. It was just throw him in and hope it works out. He's going in with a known risk of Crouch tanking himself half-way through a game because he hasn't played a game of football in 10 weeks and just basically hoped it'd work out. And we're saying Curtin is a mid now, so it's not like there wasn't a clear swap available for them to make, he just didn't want to drag an experienced player off, but basically had no other choice by the end.

Bruhn got off the chain in that 3rd quarter matched up on Crouch. 11 disposals, 7 contested, 5 clearances and a goal.
bu-bu-bu-buh-buh-buttttt you cant just bring on a skinny teenager

I absolutely do. There's no other explanation for what they did on the weekend.

bill gates vest GIF by South Park

Look I think both coaching panel AND players failed under that extreme pressure in the end. But I think Curtin's treatment was more to do with not wanting to throw the "not yet 3 gamer" kid in the mix and put that huge amount of pressure on his shoulders. He clearly still doesn't trust the kids. We know that about him. We fought back to be in front at 3/4 time. He really wanted the win. Hindsight (and many of us at the time) says, bring the fresh legs in. His gut told him to trust the few experienced players we had. His gut was wrong. What I'll be interested to see now, is how Curtin is treated this week.

I don't think there's any malice in it.

I think we don't know what to do with him as we drafted him as a KPD (due to missing out on Petty) but now he looks more at home as a midfielder. He also has different attributes to what we almost exclusively look for in a mid (think Laird, Crouch, Berry, Soligo, etc), so that probably hurts him in their eyes too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Look I think both coaching panel AND players failed under that extreme pressure in the end. But I think Curtin's treatment was more to do with not wanting to throw the "not yet 3 gamer" kid in the mix and put that huge amount of pressure on his shoulders. He clearly still doesn't trust the kids. We know that about him. We fought back to be in front at 3/4 time. He really wanted the win. Hindsight (and many of us at the time) says, bring the fresh legs in. His gut told him to trust the few experienced players we had. His gut was wrong. What I'll be interested to see now, is how Curtin is treated this week.
How many times has he made the wrong decision? I would need more than two hands to count. You’d think after trusting his favourites every time and them failing him every time that he would realise to do the opposite, but nope, he’s a complete dud.

About 3/4 of the way through we did, but that was when Geelong pushed the lead out to it's biggest at one point. It got worse before it got better coming out of half time.

Screenshot_20240805-143928.png

His stats have improved on last year if you take out the first six weeks where he played significant midfield minutes.

Not his fault Nicks has taken that role (that he was really good in) away for no good reason.
I assume it's a typo and you're arguing that the first 6 weeks are what we should be looking at?

His best CBA numbers for the year are rounds 11 and 14 where he had 48% against WCE and 26% against Sydney. In those games he had 13 touches (kicked 2.1) and 10 touches (kicked 1).

CBA numbers aren't the be all of midfield time, just very hard to see it with raw stats otherwise.

Still find it hard to believe you could view this year as a success for Rachele, perhaps my expectations were too high.

"Matthew Nicks may not realise it but the last four matches of this season may be the most important of his young coaching career. Regardless of the result in Geelong, there must be a clear blueprint for the future. There must be optimism."

- Graham Cornes

There is no optimism. He's done.

"Matthew Nicks may not realise it but the last four matches of this season may be the most important of his young coaching career. Regardless of the result in Geelong, there must be a clear blueprint for the future. There must be optimism."

- Graham Cornes

There is no optimism. He's done.
Young career? Graham he went past you this year and you still have a better record

I think Curtin played and played as the sub due to no SANFL

There was no plan to utilise him until it became too late

He will play out the season in the SANFL - because development and tank is important
I would happily take a bet that Curtin will play at least 2 of the remaining 3 games in the AFL (barring injuries).

Would you seriously put money on him playing out the remainder of the season in the SANFL?

I would happily take a bet that Curtin will play at least 2 of the remaining 3 games in the AFL (barring injuries).

Would you seriously put money on him playing out the remainder of the season in the SANFL?
Is that 2 FULL games out of the remaining 3, though? Or sitting on the bench and maybe playing a combined total of one full quarter of AFL football?

The way Nicks used him on the weekend, I was wondering if Curtin was actually injured and we were repeating the Tom Lynch sub fiasco from the GWS game a few years back.

Is that 2 FULL games out of the remaining 3, though? Or sitting on the bench and maybe playing a combined total of one full quarter of AFL football?

The way Nicks used him on the weekend, I was wondering if Curtin was actually injured and we were repeating the Tom Lynch sub fiasco from the GWS game a few years back.
I think everyone agrees it was crap on the weekend. Is anyone arguing otherwise?

I would say he will likely start this week and play at least 2.5-3 quarters, esp if playing around the ball. He could well be subbed out again if his fitness base isn’t yet up to running out a game (not sure if this point has been discussed/considered and perhaps it’s not an issue).

But at this stage I would think likely Curtin plays the last 3 AFL games averaging at least 2/3rds of a game across the 3 games.

I think Curtin played and played as the sub due to no SANFL

There was no plan to utilise him until it became too late

He will play out the season in the SANFL - because development and tank is important

I agree. I doubt he plays this week because they don’t know where to play him. No way they will start him in the centre square - Won’t take that risk - and so where else do you play him? Maybe a wing
I would be surprised if he doesn’t finish the year off playing full time mid in the Sanfl and then they will work out how to integrate him into the side next year

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I agree he thought we could hold on but he still should have seen his man management issue

It's baffling that some games he openly says about the sub ' we managed his time ' yet failed to plan for a fatigued Crouch after 2 months off

Crouch had majority of his touches in the second half - he can’t have been too fatigued

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back