Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 2) - Full Support of the Board

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The larger problem is he didn't seem to have a plan for Crouch getting gassed. It was just throw him in and hope it works out. He's going in with a known risk of Crouch tanking himself half-way through a game because he hasn't played a game of football in 10 weeks and just basically hoped it'd work out. And we're saying Curtin is a mid now, so it's not like there wasn't a clear swap available for them to make, he just didn't want to drag an experienced player off, but basically had no other choice by the end.

Bruhn got off the chain in that 3rd quarter matched up on Crouch. 11 disposals, 7 contested, 5 clearances and a goal.

5 free kicks for as well - 5 in one quarter!!
and most of those weren’t against Crouch

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

That's not true. He'd had a sub plan before and used it. I don't understand why they didn't this time?
A sub plan is pretty much the dumbest plan you can have.
An injury can happen in the first minute of the game, so you better have someone who can run out a full game.

Emergence of Rankine and Soligo as midfielders and Taylor, Nankervis and Dowling as quality AFL players (I think Cook will be as well) but I wouldn't give much credit to Nicks though as he only gave them opportunities due to injuries and didn't play Nankervis immediately despite showing he is AFL quality late last year.

Jury still out in some of those making it I think. I doubt Nank is in the team next year if all available wing/hbf are fit and firing
Dowling and Taylor definitely showing signs though.

The irony of the contempt shown on this board for our season (completely justified) is that we get one more crack at a high draft pick in a strong midfield draft.

There have been plenty of comments on here regarding the ceiling this squad has because we haven’t drafted an A grade mid. So injuries that have undoubtedly impacted our season have been a blessing as we get one more crack at the draft. Hamish better not stuff it up

I assume it's a typo and you're arguing that the first 6 weeks are what we should be looking at?

His best CBA numbers for the year are rounds 11 and 14 where he had 48% against WCE and 26% against Sydney. In those games he had 13 touches (kicked 2.1) and 10 touches (kicked 1).

CBA numbers aren't the be all of midfield time, just very hard to see it with raw stats otherwise.

Still find it hard to believe you could view this year as a success for Rachele, perhaps my expectations were too high.

You said his numbers were down on last year.

If you take out the first six weeks of 2023 where he was given consistent midfield time, and only compare his numbers from last year playing primarily forward with this years numbers playing primarily forward he has actually improved in most key areas.

The camp definitely was an issue.

It didn't have to be a huge issue, but it became one due to the club handling it really poorly and trying to cover it up.

I completely understand why some players were aggrieved and felt like the club had let them down because the club 100% let the players down.

As for being disrespectful to Burton, that guy was a maverick who singlehandedly caused the club to implode while his mate Roo ran a protection racket to cover up for his incompetence which made it 10 times worse. Calling the guy Bird brain is letting him off lightly.

You have to remember there have been a lot of players retire from the system since the camp and not one has come out to bag Burton or Pyke. So please, do tell where you got your evidence from?

Jury still out in some of those making it I think. I doubt Nank is in the team next year if all available wing/hbf are fit and firing

The irony of the contempt shown on this board for our season (completely justified) is that we get one more crack at a high draft pick in a strong midfield draft.

There have been plenty of comments on here regarding the ceiling this squad has because we haven’t drafted an A grade mid. So injuries that have undoubtedly impacted our season have been a blessing as we get one more crack at the draft. Hamish better not stuff it up

Agee re Nank. Goes ok. But doesn’t have the weapons that say a young Brodie Smith had.

Ultimately the best cultures are a winning one.

We are the opposite of a winming culture.

I think we've all worked at places where the boss/manager was TOO nice - and it most cases, it isn't a good thing.

People take the piss, don't work as hard, needed decisions aren't made, hard discussions avoided, etc.

A culture of performance and accountability can still be a friendly and caring one (as it should be), but a 'too nice' culture can rarely result in high performance.

You have to remember there have been a lot of players retire from the system since the camp and not one has come out to bag Burton or Pyke. So please, do tell where you got your evidence from?

But if Betts is critical about it in his book isn’t that implicitly criticising Birdman and Pyke?

Not sure we will ever know the full truth but certainly not well handled by the club (lack of crisis management) and the Pyke and Burton interview was about as cringeworthy as it gets

Agree Hamish needs to deliver. How do you rate his last 3-4 years? Both ND’s but also PSD (Nank) and freebies like Murray, Hinge, Keane etc

If true he pushed for Danger over Ebert then there’s a chance he doesn’t go Draper if available at our pick. Just get it right though….

This is where Nicks contradicts himself. Our run was in spite of Crouch getting torched in the third, and Nicks himself saw that by moving Keays in there, who was instrumental in getting us going. He also acknowledged in his presser that we got done in stoppage ground ball gets.

So on the one hand, he sees we're getting done midfield in ground ball so injects Keays. Good move. But then he keeps the bloke who was getting done in the rotation. Illogical.

That one circumstance tells you all you need to know about Nicks. He is wedded to "seniority", lacks clarity in his decision making and completely lacks trust in young players.

Murphy is the baffling selection and the one Nicks needs to justify leaving on the ground when we had Curtin on the bench.

Interesting stats

Murphy plays a high half forward / wing connection type role with stints in the forward pocket.

• has only kicked 7 goals this year. Ranking 12th for avg goals per game.
  • has only had 8 games of over 10 disposals, Best is 16 disposals.
  • He applies very little forward pressure averaging just 3 tackles a game.
  • Ranks 14th for contested possession
  • 14th in score involvements

If I was to pinpoint why he is selected its because his job is to be the linking out the back player the wingman coming out of defense can kick to and he kicks it to our leading forwards in turn. The sceptic in me thinks he had McHenry on the other side trying to do the same thing. The blue print I believe is the role Tom Lynch used to play.

The question that comes to mind is

Is that position irreplaceable? Is Murphy doing a good enough job?

The answer is no. Not even close.

The body of evidence that Murphy has provided indicates that this is the best he will ever get. 100 games and you cant even rely on him to kick a goal as a forward. So if you arent looking for him to contribute to goals you must be looking for him to be a link in the chain of score involvements.

Tom Lynch in 2017 ranked 2nd. Murphys best return in the same role is ranking 12th in 2023.

So lets talk context.

Crows are 15th on the ladder. We are 13th in scores for and 10th for scores against. I struggle to see how playing Murphy is a necessity.

You could play Murphy for 100 games straight in the midfield of the Sanfl and he will get over 20 possessions a handful of times at most. Curtin does it just about every game. Excluding the games he was in deep defence. So Curtin knows how to win the ball and beat his opponents. Most of all he is big bodied and has height.

So with all the context of this year, why would you opt to keep a player performing the way Murphy does compared to putting Curtin on who has an enormous upside and if he plays a full game, is likely to have way more impact around the contest than Murphy.

The next media conference with Nicks should be all about this selection. Why is Murphy getting games when his stats dont stack up to AFL standard and its at the expense of a young player the Crows need to pump games into.

Murphy is the baffling selection and the one Nicks needs to justify leaving on the ground when we had Curtin on the bench.

Interesting stats

Murphy plays a high half forward / wing connection type role with stints in the forward pocket.

• has only kicked 7 goals this year. Ranking 12th for avg goals per game.
  • has only had 8 games of over 10 disposals, Best is 16 disposals.
  • He applies very little forward pressure averaging just 3 tackles a game.
  • Ranks 14th for contested possession
  • 14th in score involvements

If I was to pinpoint why he is selected its because his job is to be the linking out the back player the wingman coming out of defense can kick to and he kicks it to our leading forwards in turn. The sceptic in me thinks he had McHenry on the other side trying to do the same thing. The blue print I believe is the role Tom Lynch used to play.

The question that comes to mind is

Is that position irreplaceable? Is Murphy doing a good enough job?

The answer is no. Not even close.

The body of evidence that Murphy has provided indicates that this is the best he will ever get. 100 games and you cant even rely on him to kick a goal as a forward. So if you arent looking for him to contribute to goals you must be looking for him to be a link in the chain of score involvements.

Tom Lynch in 2017 ranked 2nd. Murphys best return in the same role is ranking 12th in 2023.

So lets talk context.

Crows are 15th on the ladder. We are 13th in scores for and 10th for scores against. I struggle to see how playing Murphy is a necessity.

You could play Murphy for 100 games straight in the midfield of the Sanfl and he will get over 20 possessions a handful of times at most. Curtin does it just about every game. Excluding the games he was in deep defence. So Curtin knows how to win the ball and beat his opponents. Most of all he is big bodied and has height.

So with all the context of this year, why would you opt to keep a player performing the way Murphy does compared to putting Curtin on who has an enormous upside and if he plays a full game, is likely to have way more impact around the contest than Murphy.

The next media conference with Nicks should be all about this selection. Why is Murphy getting games when his stats dont stack up to AFL standard and its at the expense of a young player the Crows need to pump games into.
I would have Rachele play Murphy’s role.

Murphy is not AFL standard.

He has the Footy IQ to read play and get into position. This is what Nicks means when he talks about non statical role. The issue is his lack of ability to get the ball in hand to benefit from this positioning. Or even impact defensively.

I think Murphy will make a great Coach, maybe not head but Assistant level because of his IQ.

And that is why Nicks likes him out there. Murphy does a lot of talk out there. He is kind of a coach on the ground. And I bet Nicks relies on this.

He is just not skilled enough to play AFL footy.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree Hamish needs to deliver. How do you rate his last 3-4 years? Both ND’s but also PSD (Nank) and freebies like Murray, Hinge, Keane etc

If true he pushed for Danger over Ebert then there’s a chance he doesn’t go Draper if available at our pick. Just get it right though….
That was rendell in 2007. Ogilvie was not here. You’re thinking off when Ogilvie wanted English but Pyke wanted midfield speed so Ogilvie picked Gallucci

But if Betts is critical about it in his book isn’t that implicitly criticising Birdman and Pyke?

Not sure we will ever know the full truth but certainly not well handled by the club (lack of crisis management) and the Pyke and Burton interview was about as cringeworthy as it gets

We know what Eddies issues were and like anyone he is entitled to his feelings and his opinions and from what I understand Pyke and the club from Eddies perspective dismissed his feelings on the matter. He also was unhappy about being removed from the leadership group the year before he left. I think whats been lost around the anti camp rhetoric is that it was built around building the players resilience. Some players bought in others didnt.

As for a critique of Burton and Pyke by extension. Well not really. Eddie also isnt the mouth piece for the Crows squad either. One players experience is just that. Some loved Pyke others didnt. I know I didnt like all my coaches but others I loved. Same would go for Burton. Without players coming out and saying anything, we will never know. I know of some Crows premiership players who hated Blight with a passion and wanted him gone (circa 1999) not the premiership years. So what does one players feelings generally mean in the larger context.

Agee re Nank. Goes ok. But doesn’t have the weapons that say a young Brodie Smith had.
Pick 14 vs what was basically pick 1 in the rookie draft (Preseason draft)....Luke Nankervis has been an absolute super pick all things considered. Still likely to get better given he's only 21 games into his AFL career.

I would have Rachele play Murphy’s role.

Murphy is not AFL standard.

He has the Footy IQ to read play and get into position. This is what Nicks means when he talks about non statical role. The issue is his lack of ability to get the ball in hand to benefit from this positioning. Or even impact defensively.

I think Murphy will make a great Coach, maybe not head but Assistant level because of his IQ.

And that is why Nicks likes him out there. Murphy does a lot of talk out there. He is kind of a coach on the ground. And I bet Nicks relies on this.

He is just not skilled enough to play AFL footy.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Wouldnt high footy IQ players do something clever though. Murphy is too black and white. Cook has done better things on a footy field than Murphy. Murphy has had some good games but it averages out to 1 in every 10 games is a good one. Dowling has gone past him as far as impact on games go and thats a 112 game player v 8. Taylor is on the same level. These guys are rookies. There is no way a 112 game player should have less impact on games than rookies. But here we are.

I agree about Rachele. Curtin could be very dangerous in that role too. Just dont understand it.

4 kicks and 11 handball, 90% in defensive half. He was seagulling because he was gassed.

I'm a Crouch fan, but agree.

Bringing him straight back in and playing a full game was always a risk - you'd think the idea was to sub him out relatively early (halfway through the third or something).

That was rendell in 2007. Ogilvie was not here. You’re thinking off when Ogilvie wanted English but Pyke wanted midfield speed so Ogilvie picked Gallucci
Ogilvie started at the Crows in 2006 under Rendell after coaching Tassie to the Division 2 U18's flag in 2005 I'm almost certain.

Cameron is a champion, he ran rings around Murray and then Worrell went to him who he also ran rings around.

Who does this journalist think would have been a better match up, Butts injured? God forbid Keane? Borlase?
That's very true, we had two very underdone players to choose from. However, there was no plan to minimise his impact. Why not use Worrell in the Stewart role rather than have him matching up, for example? We just went in with the old school man on man matchup and then, ya know, blame the players...

That's very true, we had two very underdone players to choose from. However, there was no plan to minimise his impact. Why not use Worrell in the Stewart role rather than have him matching up, for example? We just went in with the old school man on man matchup and then, ya know, blame the players...
I'm not blaming the players or the coaches....Cameron is a champion, it wasn't the 1st time he's been unstoppable and it won't be the last.

Cameron is a champion, he ran rings around Murray and then Worrell went to him who he also ran rings around.

Who does this journalist think would have been a better match up, Butts injured? God forbid Keane? Borlase?
That was Camerons equal highest goals kicked for the year, equaling against North rd 5.

Last week he kicked 2 goals against North and 1 the previous week against the Bulldogs.

Are you suggesting the list of key defenders Hamish has compiled, despite using pick 6 on one, aren’t good enough to stop Cameron achieving his highest goals for the year?

Or are you using the Nicks excuse whenever we’ve been unable to stop a player “they were too good”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back