Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 3) - The Biggest Loser

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

We will know after the first game. Can be generous and give him 3. But if we aren't at least 2-1 and looking like a finals team, then will need to cut him immediately and let Murray Davis take the reins. Hell, I'd even let Scott Burns finally show whether he can be a senior coach.

We will know after the first game. Can be generous and give him 3. But if we aren't at least 2-1 and looking like a finals team, then will need to cut him immediately and let Murray Davis take the reins. Hell, I'd even let Scott Burns finally show whether he can be a senior coach.
you're kidding yourself if you think we'll get rid of him after 3 games

we're probably kidding ourselves thinking he'll go next year should we fail again..

I don’t think we’re in total opposite views, but just judging from different sets of rules.
If a teacher gets his class from an F to a D on average, some would still view it as a fail, where some would see it as a pass mark for the teacher’s credentials.
As you know, I was a teacher of Maths and English, mostly Years 10-12.
I saw myself as a motivator and explainer, and kind of a vacuum cleaner ie I drew the dust (performance) out of students who didn't realise they were 'dusty' (capable).
I don't believe that teachers get their classes from an F to a D on average --- nor would I view that as a success. It's the students who improve themselves, not the teacher improving the students.
The (good and bad) grades belonged to the students, not me. I focussed on engagement/connection ==> motivation, humour/fun in class and making students think by asking manymany questions.
Students cannot hide if the teacher is at them to think and participate.
Furthermore, I did not 'control' students as much as ask, expect and sometimes demand that they control themselves. In Years 10-12 they're developing adult traits. SELF-control is vital.

It's a matter of getting the best out of students and sometimes that best is a C.
Here's the thing --- does Nicks get the best out of the players on his list?
I would say a hard NO.
The other thing I’d like to say is that with the serious fail this year, some can see genuine reasons (eg. plethora of injuries) while others are seemingly ignorant of this fact, while some are minimising its impact on the teams overall performance.
Yes, we had injuries to key players in 2024, as well as suspensions to our most dynamic and driving player who needs to show some self-control in 2025. After 2023 with those injuries in 2024, our best finish was probably going to be 9th to 11th.
Under Nicks, the depleted Crows finished 15th.
With respect to injuries, probability-wise, we’re less likely to be hit severely the following year and even if so, we have more improved players next year who can cover for injuries.
Yeah/nah. Injuries are decided by chance and some luck/bad luck eg an awkward landing ==> ACL, an extra effort ==> hammy, a clash with an opponent (or even a teammate!) ==> broken ribs and a lacerated spleen etc.
We're just as likely to be hit by injuries as any other year.
So this is one factor where next year, the “excuse card” cannot really be used. Pretty much I don’t see anymore excuses now for 2025, barring worldwide disasters.
I presume you mean "excuses" for Nicks?
With injured key players returning + Cumming/Pealtling/ANB + Pick 4 + natural improvement and maybe a change of attitude (Pedlar), I'd say 10th is base minimum expectation in 2025 without Nicks doing anything differently.
If Nicks cleans up his Selection processes, stops playing favourites and develops some Game Day nous then Finals are possible, but will he?
I doubt that Nicks takes any responsibility nor accepts any blame. If it's not his fault, then he's absolved <== and that's what's happened. He and the Club have blamed injuries and the players' failing.
According to the Club and Nicks wasn't Nicks, it was them (players not executing and injuries).

That is the problem, because it is NICKS, imo.
Lastly, I’m saying “I’m giving Nicks mid-2025 to see whether he can be a serious coach”, isn’t the exact opposite of those on here saying “Nicks is total trash, he’ll never get us anywhere noteworthy”. I’m still sitting on the grey zone rather than the black and white ones.
I gave Nicks until we were 0-4 in 2024 and could see that:
--- he assumed we'd make Finals in 2024, (it was yet to be done, not a fait accompli)
--- he assumed the Forwards would do as well without Rahilly ("AFL Coaches Association Assistant Coach of the Year Award went to JAMES RAHILLY for his work as forwards coach at the Adelaide Crows in the 2023 season")
--- he assumed Tex would kick another 70-odd goals
--- he drilled defence, defence, DEFENCE into the players resulting in a shite, slow, chip-chip Game Plan. It looked to me like the players resented it (I dunno, could be wrong there) and that they were totally confused and devoid of flair and direction.
After the 0-4 start I wanted Nicks gone, but he'd all ready been extended by 2 years!
Ridiculous.

Nicks is so bad that it would almost be better not to have a senior coach at all.

Nicks is so bad that it would almost be better not to have a senior coach at all.
Look, that’s ridiculous. Sorry, but he’s not that bad. He’s a good man manager, but is sorely lacking in the game day/tactical nous department. I’m hoping this new fella coming in to oversee the other coaches will help him focus. And if not, out he goes.

Look, that’s ridiculous. Sorry, but he’s not that bad. He’s a good man manager, but is sorely lacking in the game day/tactical nous department. I’m hoping this new fella coming in to oversee the other coaches will help him focus. And if not, out he goes.

I'd like a coach who is proficient in game-day tactics

Yeah, but he's such a nice guy...

I wonder what would happen.

I guess Dawson and Tex would get together and work out what to do on gameday, with some input from... Burns?

Ew.

Maybe it could be better not having a coach.

I think Jenny is fairly close to the reality. Nicks has helped create a culture that is relational. People like being around the club. He is obviously a peoples person and that is his strength. He needs the humility to acknowledge his limitations and draw on those who are much more strategic and can make the hard calls. It is also incumbent on those who provide oversight to remind him of this and of his need to seek, sift and act on the right advise. If he can do this, and I believe reviews have taken place so am sure things are in place, he can help produce a spike from the emerging list that we have and considerable talent that we have just brought in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is not only sorely lacking in the game day/tactical nous department but he's also sorely lacking in the talent identification/selection department.

He shouldn't be anywhere near a senior coaches chair.

How is he a good "man manager"?
What does this look like?

Didn't seem to manage his men very well at all when we lost. How did he do good with the Rachele situation?

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 3) - The Biggest Loser

Back