Which player has had the better career?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Pavlich
Career goals 489, Riewoldt 473
Career games 256, R 219
All-Australian x6 02,03,05,06,07,08
2007 Season arguably his best 381 disposals,203 marks, 72 goals, 15 brownlow votes, 22 games

Riewoldt
Career goals 473
Career games 219
AA x4, 04,06,08,09
2009 Season arguably his best 413 disposals, 231 marks, 78 goals, 15 brownlow votes, 24 games

Very close either way. Last few years of career my determine the outcome. It's liking asking who's a better 3km runner when both are neck and neck with a lap to go. Just wait for the final lap.

Don't really care. Both overrated, and both on the decline.

Riewoldt for consistency, Pavlich's best was better.

They're no Cam Mooney that's for sure...

For all those people saying reiwoldt is a better forward than pav, arent they supposed to kick goals?...Reiwoldt can't be trusted to kick for goal 20 out dead in front.

He's Nick Holland with a bigger tank and more courage.

Bingo! Roo could potentially be just as versatile as Pav. That he plays the most difficult position on the ground with such aplomb in that he's rarely beaten, surely isn't a negative.
Insane comment.

The absence of evidence is not evidence.

"Just because he hasn't done it, doesn't mean he couldn't have done it". Talk about a logical fallacy......

Reiwoldt is the definition of a one position player. Don't get me wrong he is brilliant at that one position but even as a forward he lacks flexibility. Very fit, leads well and takes marks consistently on the chest. Run, lead, mark, early 2000's model CHF. He doesn't have the strength nor in close contested ability to be a KPB. He doesn't have the ground level ability or hands in close to play on ball (lacks the ability to apply defensive pressure around stoppages but so does Pav). He doesn't have the agility in traffic, and is too slow to play on the wing.

Pav not only has the accolades, but has done it often as a lone hand. Nearly as good purely as a KPF, he has undoubtedly got Reiwoldt covered with his ability around the ground.

BTW Pav was not played in other positions because he was down on form as a forward. Pav played down back early then Mid/HFF under coaching instruction from Connoly and won AA honours straddling defensive, midfield and forwardline roles. He then continued mostly as a forward till a point where Freo's midfield became that hungry for another big body around stoppages that Harvey moved him there first temporarily then semi permanently. Playing this role he had very good 2009 and 2010 seasons. Still managed to lead Freos goal kicking in both years whilst spending a lot of time in the middle.

2011 saw him drop off a bit where he alternately struggled and played well as a more permanent midfield fixture. Definitely the strains of workload and niggling injuries were effecting his body and his size also made applying defensive pressure around stoppages difficult (for a player not that naturally inclined). Still managed to win Freo's B&F.

Moved back forward in 2012 and after a period of adjustment is again close to the best KPF in the comp.

As for consistency it is amazing to think that if not for 2004, he would have gone on an unbroken run of AA spots for 7 years from 02 to 08 (AA in 20002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008). Outside of these he has arguably only had a couple of average seasons.

Lastly if HAD agrees with you then I am sure that I am right. ;)

Insane comment.

The absence of evidence is not evidence.

This works both ways mate and is exactly the point I was making. Just because there's no evidence of Reiwoldt playing down back doesn't mean it constitutes evidence that he couldn't. That he excels in arguably the toughest most important position on the ground and doesn't need to play elsewhere is not a negative against Reiwoldt - no matter how versatile Pavlich plays it.

FWIW I don't agree with your assessment of Reiwoldt. In fact, I think it's laughable to suggest he couldn't hold down, say CHB with aplomb, after tearing it up as a CHF for so many years. He has all the attributes you'd need to nail playing in the easier position - has a great motor, reads the upfield play as well as any big man, reads the flight of the ball very well and keeps good body position in a contest, is a terrific mark, is courageous in going back with the flight and generally has very good awareness. I reckon he'd be perfectly suited as a CHB, probably less so as a FB, but given his play reading ability, body positioning and pace off the mark, there's every chance he'd cut it here too. As a midfielder I reckon Roo would do very well as a wingman with his motor and ability to provide a target; maybe less so in the middle, but you never know how he'd truly adapt.

Pav not only has the accolades, but has done it often as a lone hand. Nearly as good purely as a KPF, he has undoubtedly got Reiwoldt covered with his ability around the ground.

Sorry, but IMO Roo is quite easily the better KPF. I agree Pav is better at ground level ... around the ground, I'm not so sure you can make that statement with the confidence you have. Reiwoldt does some of best work out of the F50 and around the ground, although admittedly it's usually from in front of the ball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Matthew Pavlich v Nick Riewoldt

Back