Matthew Richardson set to annouce retirement

Remove this Banner Ad

"It's never easy walking away from something that you've loved doing for so long, but I consider myself fortunate to have played at such a great club as Richmond in front of such wonderfully loyal, passionate supporters," Richardson said.

Abolsute legend, my favourite player ever!

I can't beleive it. I am shocked. I've never known a Richmond team without Richo.
It will never be the same with out him. A little part of football has just died.
I don't know what else to say

I would like to congratulate Matthew on being an awesome player for us :thumbsu: My favourite Tiger player, it wont be the same going to see the tigers play. Thanks for busting your gut for us, pity we wernt successful for you !!!

Thought id share a great richo story that just happened. My girlfriend just rang me to tell me to call her younger sister who is only 10 and is nearly as big of a Richmond supporter as me and console her about the big fella retiring. Although she occasionally called him 'Matthew Richmondson" when she was younger, she loves the big fella with all her heart and is apparently in hysterics that her favourite player won't be on tv anymore. Such is the all reaching power of the mighty richo man.

This man has carried this football club with nothing but passion in a time where the club has given him nothing in return. He's an epic in this club's history with Dyer and Hart - some will call it hyperbole but in my opinion he has been this club for the best part of 20 years.

It seems so empty and cliche in words but I'm emotional right now - I have never felt more affiliation to a person I've never met than Richo. What a warrior.

Definition of a footballing inspiration.

Edit: I should add that I was not old enough to see Hart and not remotely close to Dyer but in terms of influence during a particular period of time, Richo could surely not be topped.

A true club champion of the highest order. He deserves to leave in dignity and not fxxxk around next year being half fit.... the CLUB is greater than any player no matter how good.

Now maybe them damn kids on our list will bloody wake up...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is a dark day for the Richmond FC.

It really effing sucks.

He brought so much to a club who were so crap for so many years.

He was the light at the end of the very, very dark tunnel.

I can only hope he is still with the club in some capasity as he is TRUE Yellow & Black.

Richo, what a champion you are.... you have given all Tiger supporters such sensational memories.... I wish him all the best and I hope he stays with the club in some capacity....although not as goal kicking coach!!!

Shattered, just, shattered. We all know he had to retire at some time, but not by injury. Would've been awesome to give him a fairwell game.

We love you Richo, and we always will. Enjoy the retirement you legend.

Devastated to hear Richo is finishing up! What a champion he has been for Richmond over the years. Can show a lot of players what putting your heart and soul into a club really means. Best of luck for the future!

Remove this Banner Ad

Matthew Richardson set to annouce retirement

Remove this Banner Ad

Back