Matthew Richardson set to annouce retirement

Remove this Banner Ad

The longer it took Richo to decide to play the more likelyhood he was going to retire. Even so, it still hurts to hear of his retirement.

There has always been a debate the Richo should be called a Champion or a Legend. I can say now in my eyes and so should be anyone who is associated with the RFC that Richo is a Legend of the club. Sure he may not have kicked the most goals in the games history, won a brownlow or in a premiership team (and if there was any natural justice in the world he would of). But there is no doubt that no other player has come as close to bleeding thier clubs colours then Richo.

He is one of the few shining lights and the brightest of the lights the club has had over the last decade and a half. Dispite year after year when we failed to make the finals and poor performances Richo never let the cancer that has taken over the club infect him. He continued to play his heart out for the club, be there for us the supporters and just never said die. Nobody loves the club more than Richo.

I encourage all Richmond supporters to take Richos example and continue to love the club in the obvious bleak few years to come and continue to battle on. If we do we may eventually once again return to our rightful place in the competition - the premiers.

Great career Richo! It's a sad day for my family, I really wish we could have had more success in your time, but you made going to the footy on all those trying days worth it, you never gave up and only injury has stopped you now.

It's sad because I don't think another person will wear the jumper with such passion and pride again.

You're one of a kind:thumbsu:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO RICHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

youre an absolute legend...

tiges are gonna be useless without richo

farewell to a legend
richo put the rich in richmond, richmonds only half a club now

Completely devastated

Richo you are the heart and soul of the club. You gave us your very best each time you went out on the ground.
A champion of the club that will be dearly missed.
Thank you for giving us all those wonderful memories.
A true gentleman of the game. Hope you have every success in the media and continue to stay close to the footy club.
One of the greatest players to put on the yellow and black jumper. Wished we could of had sent you off on a memorable farewell game. You do us all proud.

Thanks for all the great memories Richo.

That 10 against the Bulldogs was a great one.

Smasha - I was going to post this in the favourite Richo memory thread. I travelled up to QLD to watch the Blues play the Lions on the Saturday night. Tiges v Dogs was live on tv in the arvo. Sat with my QLD mate & he said "Do you like Richo?". My reply was that I love Richo. So there we sat - 2 one eyed Blueboys who love Richo. Drinking cold beers on a warm afternoon in Brizzy, & the big fella put on a show that day.

Hopefully he gets a lifetime gig on the footy show. Love how he sticks it up Sam.

Legend of Richmond and of the game. Commiserations, Tigers fans, you definitely aren't the only ones upset by this news. He'll be tragically missed.

NOOOOOOO HE CANT RETIRE HE CANT HE CANT F**K THIS IS S**T NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! COULDNT WE REST HIM TO 200 GAMES WHY NOT OMFG THIS IS SO BAD. Who the Fk can be my favourite Player now?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sad day for the Richmond Football Club.

A true champion of our proud club. Sad to see him go but understand the situation.

I have so many memories of Richo, and will never forget some of his sensational games in the number 12.

All the best Richo, Round 1 will be your farewell, and we will all be there to celebrate.

bummer he had to go out this way but good luck to him. i don't reckon he'll be forgotten any time soon. chin chin to a stand-up dude.

Stop the time clock, hold the final bell,
The greatest man in footy should get a proper farewell.
Silence the cheer squads and with muffled drum
Bring out the highlights packages, let the supporters come.

Let aeroplanes circle moaning over Punt Road
Scribbling on the sky the message: RIIIII-IIII-CHO!
Put number 12s on the backs of the public doves,
Let the traffic policemen wear one black velcro glove.

He was our Hope, our Love, our Mark and Goal,
Our towering screamer and our club’s soul,
Our full-forward, our centre-half-forward, our wingman, our song;
We thought that Richo would play for ever: we were wrong.

The draft is not wanted now: I couldn’t give a shit;
I’ll never see another three-bounce goal or dummy-spit;
Not another soaring Richo mark or comedy routine.
The one and only Number 12; the biggest heart there’s ever been.

Matthew, Richmond's Son. We love you and we'll miss you. Football will never be the same for me.:heart:

Forever you will be in our hearts richo. The 'g' wont have the same atmosphere as it once did when we knew the ball was in your hands, as you tried your heart out on so many occasions. Never will there be another chant from the grog squad which makes us supporters laugh or join in as we sing together 'richoo richoo man...I wanna be, a richo man'.
Never will there be another matthew richardson, or someone who can fill the emptiness you've left behind.
You were a legend of the game, a true champion and someone who will be deeply missed by the whole football community.
Goodluck with the new job working in the media, and whatever else the future may bring.
Until the time comes when your son/s walk through those punt road clubrooms, the #12 will remain untouched, as only true legends are capable of wearing what once a great man himself wore with pride.

The eyes are tearing up atm.

Very few players have universal respect from opposition suporters, Richo is one of them.

Was robbed of a brownlow a few years back imo.

A sad day for RFC and for football.

Be well mate

Wish you well in your new life in the media...or whatever you choose to do
smile.gif

Guttered!... would of love to have seen a farewell game at the "G", perhaps you might get a farewell lap before the game against those Liberal Bastards in rd1?.

On the bright of all this, is that we (Richmond supporters) were lucky that Richo played at Richmond and not any other club
smile.gif
....so we had the enjoyment of seeing the "BEST CONTESTED MARK" ever to play the game!! in a wonderful 282 game 800 goal career.

Oh yeah i almost forgot... RICHO is.... and always will be RICHMOND!.

Remove this Banner Ad

Matthew Richardson set to annouce retirement

Remove this Banner Ad

Back