Player Watch Matthew Scharenberg (Delisted 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Love how he takes an extra second or two to actually find a target. He doesn't want to waste a single possession.

He's like the reincarnation of Jimmy Clement.

Too many of our players panic and sink the boot in to it without actually looking, not Schaz!

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

Fitness now is the key for SchaZz, continue to improve that tank of his which suffered due to his injuries. Both Aish and SchaZz are 22 years old which still puts them in the development stage of their careers. SchaZz for the first time I've seen him at AFL level, worked his way forward to become an option out of defence, Howe obliged. Was exciting to watch for the first time at AFL level you saw a answer to the question why he was valued so highly at a junior level. Once again it is nobodies fault but patience is still required.

Backed him in throughout this entire thread and will continue to. If anyone is unable to put together that he oozes ability and just required some continuity to gather more confidence, I'd question what sport you think you were watching.

Let's not put the mozzie on him, but if he is played throughout the year, he is only going to grow. Fingers crossed he stays on the park and the selectors stay vigilant.

Another small step to shutting up his doubters.

He's a good footballer.

The injuries have hurt him, but he knows what he's doing and it looks like he's versatile down back.

But yeah, I'm sure he goes out next week because that seems to be how selection goes at Collingwood.
If we lose to Carltank; then Scharenberg, McLarty, Brown, Stephenson, Murray, De Goey, Moore, Aish ... hell even Daicos should play every game for the rest of the season. At that point I don’t care if Wells never gets fit enough to play another game for us. Blair and Mayne should be done. Goldsack, bless his heart, should be too.

Really liked his game and I've been one his biggest critics. He looked like a real defender, rather than a kick chaser. I'd much prefer to see him developed as a CHB, rather than Moore.

If we lose to Carltank; then Scharenberg, McLarty, Brown, Stephenson, Murray, De Goey, Moore, Aish ... hell even Daicos should play every game for the rest of the season. At that point I don’t care if Wells never gets fit enough to play another game for us. Blair and Mayne should be done. Goldsack, bless his heart, should be too.

I hope Goldy can come back for a season or two as his leadership and experience on and off the field are invaluable. He's made of barbed wire and corrugated iron, so I think he will make it back.

Agree with you on all the others though, especially Scharenberg. I'd add Murray to that list too. Time to blood McLarty. Put them in and leave them in unless their form or fitness over more than a game or two clearly dictate otherwise.

I have been a doubter but hadn't really seen him play much footy when overseas last season. He was good in the first half yesterday though seemed to be against Cameron for much of the latter part of the game. Can anyone name who he played on throughout the game and how his opponents performed?

I have been a doubter but hadn't really seen him play much footy when overseas last season. He was good in the first half yesterday though seemed to be against Cameron for much of the latter part of the game. Can anyone name who he played on throughout the game and how his opponents performed?

Shaz played on Cameron most of the game. Howe was moved off Cameron early on and then gave a lot of help coming over the top. Cameron kicked 3 for the game and I think 2 of those were on Shaz across 3 quarters.

Shaz played on Cameron most of the game. Howe was moved off Cameron early on and then gave a lot of help coming over the top. Cameron kicked 3 for the game and I think 2 of those were on Shaz across 3 quarters.
One of those two was from a low bullet delivery on the lead which is pretty much impossible to defend too, so it’s hard to criticize him for it.

One of those two was from a low bullet delivery on the lead which is pretty much impossible to defend too, so it’s hard to criticize him for it.
How did either or both of you judge the contest between them? I ask because I recall the VFL final where Shaz was BOG till he had to play on a tall in the final quarter and struggled with the height. He was prolific with his possessions in the first quarter yesterday prior, I assume, to his move on to Cameron.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He has picked up a meter or two in pace, taking some good grabs, hopefully we are about to see his potential realised
I’ve never quite got the slow thing.
You get to the ball, you deliver the ball well, speed is on then.

Love how he takes an extra second or two to actually find a target. He doesn't want to waste a single possession.

He's like the reincarnation of Jimmy Clement.

Too many of our players panic and sink the boot in to it without actually looking, not Schaz!

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk
That is a bingo

I have always been a Scharenberg fan.....but I also judge the players I think have ability the hardest. This year he must step up for us.

I watched him closely yesterday.

He turned over the ball three times. One was a typical Collingwood kick.

The other two were the hardest option.....I demand that of him this year.

P.S Off topic to the anti Collingwoodites our whole team stood up yesterday. Moore finishes the game we win simple.

I have always been a Scharenberg fan.....but I also judge the players I think have ability the hardest. This year he must step up for us.

I watched him closely yesterday.

He turned over the ball three times. One was a typical Collingwood kick.

The other two were the hardest option.....I demand that of him this year.

P.S Off topic to the anti Collingwoodites our whole team stood up yesterday. Moore finishes the game we win simple.
Always respect your posts.

Good points raised.

I can see young Matthew be long term a fine individual for us.

And we should demand from him

From my vantage point (second level Punt Road) it was a little bit hands on deck backline in this game.....at one stage Crisp was on Patton :eek:

I thought our defense was great even if (not my favourite player Langdon) copped two in a row on Coniglio.

I will re-watch the game because in the third quarter I think they got two fortitudes goals......the only difference is the finished them off by kicking through the big sticks.

He was good yesterday. Reads the ball really well and if just left there will develop well. Didn’t get lost in transition like he did a bit last year. Kicks nicely to and generally makes good decisions.

I am not a Langdon fan to be honest. He has very little confidence in his decision making and kicking. I am going to watch replay and look for how often he goes back and sideways rather than looks at the 45 option.

Wow so much hate for Langdon.

I'll use the words of a poster over at Nick's to defend him given not many will.

"What you see as him getting beaten in the contest and coughing up goals is actually him being the only one good enough to get to the contest, time and again, generally outnumbered and usually trying to pick up the pieces for someone else who has run to the wrong spot. Have a look again at Cameron's last goal and ask yourself where the rest of the back six were that Langdon is going up in a marking contest two on one against the CHF and FF. Sometimes great footballers like Tommy are made to look ordinary because they're surrounded by guys who can't read the play and have little appetite for the contest, or are so glacial in their movement they can't get to the contest at the required speed for AFL."

That's often my read also.

Langdon didn't have a great game in round 1 but I thought he bounced back yesterday, was good and it was a display like we became accustomed to across his first two seasons.

He can be hit and miss with his disposal still and can be exposed by the run down tackle at times so needs to be more aware but I dare say he also covers more ground than most or all of the other defenders and therefore fatigue is at play more often for him when it comes to his errors.

I'll use the words of a poster over at Nick's to defend him given not many will.

"What you see as him getting beaten in the contest and coughing up goals is actually him being the only one good enough to get to the contest, time and again, generally outnumbered and usually trying to pick up the pieces for someone else who has run to the wrong spot. Have a look again at Cameron's last goal and ask yourself where the rest of the back six were that Langdon is going up in a marking contest two on one against the CHF and FF. Sometimes great footballers like Tommy are made to look ordinary because they're surrounded by guys who can't read the play and have little appetite for the contest, or are so glacial in their movement they can't get to the contest at the required speed for AFL."

Langdon didn't have a great game in round 1 but I thought he bounced back yesterday, was good and it was a display like we became accustomed to across his first two seasons.

He can be hit and miss with his disposal still and can be exposed by the run down tackle at times so needs to be more aware but I dare say he also covers more ground than most or all of the other defenders and therefore fatigue is at play more often for him when it comes to his errors.

Langdon is a good average player......once you realize that fact then you can accept his mistakes.

Nothing wrong with being a good average player by the way.

When Coniglio outmarked him in the last and scored that goal I was upset......but when he saved that goal on the line through sheer desperation I liked.

It was an indication of a players character IMO.....Langdon and Shaz will work well together I think.

Tend to agree, TRS, i think we need to add Sier + Wills to that list
We need to get these kids as many games as possible to see if they are keep or move on

However, I have great respect for Wells + Blair and I’d like to see them rotated through the team to mentor the kids during the matches
As such, we keep trying to win matches but expose our kids (and winning is the bonus if it happens)

It scared me (with honesty and realisation) when Leigh Matthews tried to describe where we were at / should he aiming for

....”great footballers like Tom Langdon”???

Was better yesterday and it’s not his position in contest or transition that bothers me. It’s what he does when he has it.

Langdon is a good average player......once you realize that fact then you can accept his mistakes.

Nothing wrong with being a good average player by the way.

When Coniglio outmarked him in the last and scored that goal I was upset......but when he saved that goal on the line through sheer desperation I liked.

It was an indication of a players character IMO.....Langdon and Shaz will work well together I think.

I was angry too, but with the umpire. All defenders struggle when forwards are allowed to used hands in the back to push them out of contests. I'd need to see it again, but at the time I thought it was a blatant free kick.

I was angry too, but with the umpire. All defenders struggle when forwards are allowed to used hands in the back to push them out of contests. I'd need to see it again, but at the time I thought it was a blatant free kick.

Definitely not a free kick.....just out positioned.

After the umpires got booed off the ground at half time they had no influence in the second half as should be the case.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Matthew Scharenberg (Delisted 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back