Player Watch Max Michalanney - Re-Signed to End of 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

Max is too highly skilled to be a tagger. Tagging is for effort grunts with no skills.
Yep. Exhibit A: Kane Cornes. He made a 300 game career out of following better players around.

But I guess the issue is we have a decent backline at the moment. If Murray, Butts, Keane, Borlase, Worrell, Hinge, Max, Milera etc are all fit and in form then it's good to be able to slot some into other positions, whether that's in the middle or up forward, it's just better than having to drop them to the SANFL if they're playing good footy. Not that I'm suggesting Max would be the one we'd choose to drop if necessary, but it's good to have options.

The difference is that Dawson is an attacking weapon in the midfield. You want to find ways to get the ball in his hands because he'll do something good with it. Max (admitteldy early days) seems to be primarily useful as a tagger. That's fine if we're planning on running with a tagger, but again, it's not hard to find a tagger if that's what we want.

I don't see him as being a very useful player in a contest with ball in hand. Maybe he will prove me wrong, but I don't think he has a good sense of who is around him, whether he has time to find an option or has to just jam it on the boot, etc. Down back, he does, but not in a stoppage situation.

It's not actually that easy to find Michalanney's type down back, someone who can lock down on a player, tall or small, and provide offence the other way. He's essentially the only player of that type we have at the moment. Worrell is more of a loose defender, or in a pinch, a KPD (I wouldn't trust him on a small) and Hinge is not a lockdown defender.
He's played one full time game as a mid in his 2nd season, Dawson had not even ventured near the midfield in his 2nd season at the Swans. There's a midfielder here with Max, embrace it and use the rest of this year and pre season to train him there full time.

I don't want him to be a tagger either, but it's a good start following around one of the best mids in the game and learn his running patterns and positioning. With time, MM becomes the guy other teams need to tag.

Max is too highly skilled to be a tagger. Tagging is for effort grunts with no skills.
He is way too skilled to be a tagger, but it's just a start. Needs a full pre season training with the midfield before we could expect to see any major progress in his craft.

He's played one full time game as a mid in his 2nd season, Dawson had not even ventured near the midfield in his 2nd season at the Swans. There's a midfielder here with Max, embrace it and use the rest of this year and pre season to train him there full time.

I don't want him to be a tagger either, but it's a good start following around one of the best mids in the game and learn his running patterns and positioning. With time, MM becomes the guy other teams need to tag.

I'm not sure Nicks views Max as a potential Dawson in the midfield, Nicks didn't even envisage Dawson in the midfield.

Is he experimenting with a tagger? Chose Max to do it as he's someone you can trust.

It's not a case of, 'Max you're our next midfield gun, I'm giving you a shot'. More a case of, 'Max, you're my favourite, I know I can trust you to do this job for me for a few weeks'.

But I bow to those that watch more closely, maybe he hasn't been tagging.

Ok, who's heard of Bodhi Uwland?

Didn't he get washed out to sea at Bells Beach in the 50 year storm?
He had a breakout year ....hasn't been able to get a kick last year, and was in-out of the side

This 2nd half of the year ....he's been fantastic .... very powerful athlete off HB

He had a breakout year ....hasn't been able to get a kick last year, and was in-out of the side

This 2nd half of the year ....he's been fantastic .... very powerful athlete off HB
How do you rate his brother Zeke? :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So I suppose he is academy too and they get a free hit at him then also. I don’t even bother to keep up with the rules now.
When they can let a 191 cm mid like Alex Davies walk they are getting too much help.
Correcto Mundo..He's a jet.

So I suppose he is academy too and they get a free hit at him then also. I don’t even bother to keep up with the rules now.
When they can let a 191 cm mid like Alex Davies walk they are getting too much help.
Whatya think bearing in mind he played Nationals this year as an underager..Looks like a top end talent to my eye.

Whatya think bearing in mind he played Nationals this year as an underager..Looks like a top end talent to my eye.

I don’t get to watch many colts games but he must have a leg like his brother if they like him taking kick ins
and running the ball out. If I was to say who he reminded me of it would be a little like Colby McKercher, perhaps not as clean but love him taking the game on, the goal was quality.

I don’t get to watch many colts games but he must have a leg like his brother if they like him taking kick ins
and running the ball out. If I was to say who he reminded me of it would be a little like Colby McKercher, perhaps not as clean but love him taking the game on, the goal was quality.
The ground that day and the slippery conditions wouldn't have helped re being clean.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Max Michalanney - Re-Signed to End of 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

Back