Opinion McEvoy needs to be a permanent replacement for Hale

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not writing Hale off yet as people were calling for his head last year and he played fantastic footy in finals and helped us win it all
But I do like the fact that we now actually have options when someone is injured or not playing well

At the moment...

In terms of tapwork - it is Ceglar > Hale > McEvoy

In terms of utility around the ground it is Ceglar > McEvoy > Hale.

Whilst Hale might be said to have the most history as a forward - he is just not mobile enough for our game style.

I think we should play Ceglar as the number one ruck. BB can take a strong grab so play him as a forward/2nd ruck.
The beauty is that we lose very little when Cegs goes forward.

I would trade Hale and try to get at least a 2nd round upgrade for him.
We still have Lowden as our backup ruckman, but we might have to go down the path of rookie listing a delisted ruckman if one is available.
Maybe Hudson can find a 4th club......haha

Big Boy has gotta start working more. The guy can run all day like a camel, he needs to be constant motion and start playing to his strengths. When Hale is mobile he is dangerous, that's the game BB needs to start playing.

McEvoy and Ceglar are our best rucks, comfortably. I haven't felt that Hale has been very good this year. Cegs and Ben are both good at the tap and excellent around the ground. I think some in this forum have been underrating McEvoy because he doesn't have a Hawthorn background/history, but he's actually a very good player. He is good around the ground, takes strong marks, he is extremely mobile, can get around the park and he seems to not tire. I am very happy with a McEvoy/Ceglar ruck duo, and they should get it done for years to come as well.

We really need to drive home our advantage in the ruck over our key rivals, particularly Sydney. Hale is still the best forward of the trio so don't right him off for 2014. If either Ceglar or McEvoy struggle I can see him coming back pretty quickly. I can't see a scenario where all three are in the side. Not something Clarkson would be keen on.

Trading him at the end of the year however may not be a bad idea. We may get a pick in the 30's or 40's for him. Maybe the Roos would take him back?
Hale is perfect as backup as would the other two depending on form or injuries with Lowden as well. Do not agree with trading him.

He's on 197 games. I hope he gets past 200. I was hoping that he crossed 100 games for us (he's on 68) before i read that he has 2 daughters.

There's no need to lock him in, just play them on form. Hale was good in the VFL but not good enough to get his spot back imo.

Exactly, the issue here is that Hale has lost his spot to someone else in great form.
Hale's not been great recently, but you wouldn't normally drop a player who had been a key player in 2013, and was pretty good early in the season.

I think Hale as a backup to McEvoy and Ceglar is a pretty good insurance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exactly, the issue here is that Hale has lost his spot to someone else in great form.
Hale's not been great recently, but you wouldn't normally drop a player who had been a key player in 2013, and was pretty good early in the season.

I think Hale as a backup to McEvoy and Ceglar is a pretty good insurance.

Lowden is a pretty good 2nd back up also.

I have seen this a few times what does it mean?
Are you saying you agree or that you disagree?
Soz if I am an old bastard not up with the times

"This" means the poster wholeheartedly agrees with quoted post.

I'm not writing Hale off yet as people were calling for his head last year and he played fantastic footy in finals and helped us win it all
But I do like the fact that we now actually have options when someone is injured or not playing well

Agree 100% Gralin.

Hale is the only player we have that can crash a pack
He's a very good contested mark, and should play out of the square
This would allow mcevoy to rest in defence, and ceglar to rotate as the fourth fwd, with the likes of breust (when CECs is ruck, breust is forward pocket, when mcevoy rucks, ceglar is fwd and breust in the middle)
Would also allow roughead to spend more time up the ground, without compromising gunston

Hale is the only player we have that can crash a pack
He's a very good contested mark, and should play out of the square
This would allow mcevoy to rest in defence, and ceglar to rotate as the fourth fwd, with the likes of breust (when CECs is ruck, breust is forward pocket, when mcevoy rucks, ceglar is fwd and breust in the middle)
Would also allow roughead to spend more time up the ground, without compromising gunston
Cellar + Hale + Big Boy in the same Team?
Against which of Sydney, Port, the purples or Geelong would that not be a disaster?

Cellar + Hale + Big Boy in the same Team?
Against which of Sydney, Port, the purples or Geelong would that not be a disaster?
The problem vs said sides is not pace, it's the fact we get sucked into kicking high rather than setting up targets
This hasn't changed in 6 yrs vs Geelong especially, and as such, hale would be a better option as he holds marks

The problem vs said sides is not pace, it's the fact we get sucked into kicking high rather than setting up targets
This hasn't changed in 6 yrs vs Geelong especially, and as such, hale would be a better option as he holds marks

The problem with said side will become speed.....what you're effectively doing is taking out another runner/ a midfield rotation and adding another witches hat.

The problem with said side will become speed.....what you're effectively doing is taking out another runner/ a midfield rotation and adding another witches hat.
That's right, and not just speed, but spread as well. Less midfielders means a less effective ability to switch the ball and less points of entry to our forward 50 resulting in more pressure for those remaining mids to kick under meaning higher, less precise kicks. Playing another tall only treats that symptom. Playing another mid treats the root problem alleviating that apparent need for another tall target. On top of all that it makes it harder to lock the ball into our 50 when we have another ruck in there. Better off with another Puopolo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion McEvoy needs to be a permanent replacement for Hale

Remove this Banner Ad

Back