Opinion McEvoy needs to be a permanent replacement for Hale

Remove this Banner Ad

Looks like they are going down the McEvoy/Ceglar path. Schoenmakers an emergency and Hale nowhere to be seen. Looks like a smaller forward line this year three talls (Roughy, Gunston and resting ruck) compared to four last year although will still have to see how they line up.

It could be they think McEvoy and Ceglar have already gone past Hale based on their preseason output, or they simply want to nurse Hale through the season to make sure he's at his best in September. Either way, rucks get injured so often that we're we're almost certain to see a lot of him during the season one way or another.

Personally I think this should and will be the first year in which McEvoy assumes the responsibility of undisputed #1 ruck at the club. I'd love to see Ceglar become second in line because I think he's a bit more mobile than Hale which will count for a lot when going up against a team like Port for example. Hale is a great tackler though and really throws himself at contests in big games, which I think is one area Ceglar stands to improve.

Looks like they are going down the McEvoy/Ceglar path. Schoenmakers an emergency and Hale nowhere to be seen. Looks like a smaller forward line this year three talls (Roughy, Gunston and resting ruck) compared to four last year although will still have to see how they line up.
It was 3 for the most part last year.

Except for a spell early on.

I'll be back tomorrow to see the stats.

Don't hold me to it, but I think he missed a couple against Port in the H and A. Also the first Geelong game in the last quarter.

However he hardly had a Jordan Lisle type attack of the goalkicking wobbles.

It could be they think McEvoy and Ceglar have already gone past Hale based on their preseason output, or they simply want to nurse Hale through the season to make sure he's at his best in September. Either way, rucks get injured so often that we're we're almost certain to see a lot of him during the season one way or another.

Personally I think this should and will be the first year in which McEvoy assumes the responsibility of undisputed #1 ruck at the club. I'd love to see Ceglar become second in line because I think he's a bit more mobile than Hale which will count for a lot when going up against a team like Port for example. Hale is a great tackler though and really throws himself at contests in big games, which I think is one area Ceglar stands to improve.

Hale the proven big game big bodied ruck/forward.

Ceglar did some great midfield work today.

Ran down Motlop!!

You're hearing it here first, Ceglar is better than Motlop.

Does that make him better than Cyril?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I noticed ceglar tagging geelongs ruckmen
It was brilliant, and cut out their easy kick from defence

Could be a new tactic
Would be the first time I can recall a ruckman copping a tag. Or a ruckman being a tagger.

Didn't think our rucks were great today at stoppages.

On the stats, the Hawks led the Cats in hit-outs to advantage. Geelong did have a significant advantage in clearances in the first quarter, but the Hawks narrowed that gap considerably through the remainder of the game.

I'm not convinced that McEvoy is going to be a threat to many teams as a marking forward. I think he's better suited to playing a kick behind play, as he did to good effect in the 2014 grand final. But the Hawks are determined to have a ruckman play as a marking forward ever since Juda$ left the club to move north, so I guess I'll have to deal with that.

I remember watching Ceglar play at Box Hill and in his first few games for Hawthorn and being very unimpressed with his timidity at ground level. He's turned that around in a huge way over the last six months.

On the stats, the Hawks led the Cats in hit-outs to advantage. Geelong did have a significant advantage in clearances in the first quarter, but the Hawks narrowed that gap considerably through the remainder of the game.

I'm not convinced that McEvoy is going to be a threat to many teams as a marking forward. I think he's better suited to playing a kick behind play, as he did to good effect in the 2014 grand final. But the Hawks are determined to have a ruckman play as a marking forward ever since Juda$ left the club to move north, so I guess I'll have to deal with that.

I remember watching Ceglar play at Box Hill and in his first few games for Hawthorn and being very unimpressed with his timidity at ground level. He's turned that around in a huge way over the last six months.
Ceglar seems to now be everything Clarko wanted Simon Taylor to be. A good tap ruckman who is aggressive in the ruck and at ground level without being reckless and clumsy, giving away stupid free kicks and 50m penalties.

The mobility of both McEvoy & Ceglar as a ruck combo is so far superior to any other team in the league, that it aint funny...Their ability to get up & down the ground is seriously elite....Add in Roughy & we are a scary proposition indeed.

Then there's the added bonus of keeping Hale fresh & rested for when required.....WHo can also fill in for Roughy if necessary.....Rotations in maintaining squad freshness & healthiness throughout the year will be crucial.

He might be getting on but I'm still a big Hale fan. Has been a proven, massive big-game player for us over the years, and I'm happy for the 3 big guys to be rotated throughout the season which I am sure they will be. It does seem Big Boy and Cegs have the #1 and #2 spot ATM...but it's a long season and I'd be putting line through Hale at your own peril.

Will we get him to a 100 games for Hawthorn though? (He is currently on 90)
If it's clear by the end of the season that McEvoy and Ceglar are our best combo and Hale hasn't dropped off the face and still has something to offer (and he wants to) I wouldn't mind seeing us rookie list him. Have him as a sort of playing ruck coach at Box Hill for Pittonet to learn from and if ruck injuries strike we could still call on him.

I'm just spit balling here though. Who knows, perhaps Hale will come back and dominate the rest of the season as our main ruck?

Cats rucks are pretty abysmal, don't think we can make too many calls on our rucks from that game.
It will be interesting to see how they go against good rucks.
One of the advantages to Hale, is that he has gotten very good at nullifying good rucks through playing smart.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion McEvoy needs to be a permanent replacement for Hale

Remove this Banner Ad

Back