Opinion McEvoy needs to be a permanent replacement for Hale

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought this might be worth a bump after last night. McEvoy looked good with 3 goals although he didn't get much of the ball and it was only preseason. Given the way the game is going (especially the shift towards reduced interchange) he looks like a great option as a forward/2nd ruck who can use his stamina and marking to create troubles for opposition defence.

What are reasonable expectations about his role and performance this year? I'm quite optimistic after last night he could spend significant time forward filling Hale's role but was surprised when I discovered his best return of goals in a year is only 7.

Thought this might be worth a bump after last night. McEvoy looked good with 3 goals although he didn't get much of the ball and it was only preseason. Given the way the game is going (especially the shift towards reduced interchange) he looks like a great option as a forward/2nd ruck who can use his stamina and marking to create troubles for opposition defence.

What are reasonable expectations about his role and performance this year? I'm quite optimistic after last night he could spend significant time forward filling Hale's role but was surprised when I discovered his best return of goals in a year is only 7.
Hale as depth and mentor to Pittonet at BH

McEvoy has great hands but is not a natural forward; Ruck, dropping back into the hole and occasionally drifting forward seems his best role. The coaching staff are obviously keen for him to make a bigger impact in the forward half but think this is being optimistic. Hale can play the Forward/2nd Ruck role better then McEvoy, love his tackling and is an underrated ruckman too.
Ceggs on the lead looks impressive and will hopefully be able to replace Hale soon but if you had to pick a 2nd tall forward for round 1 I would be picking Hale.

Hale, Big Boy and Cegs are all good. Watching BB clunk grabs and kick truly last night was music to my eyes. It's a good problem to have. Hale turns 31 this year, so may only have a year or two left, the other two to step up and be a great rucking combo, with a bit of young depth there. Our ruck stocks look the best they have in years.

McEvoy is the "beast" we always panick we won't be able to match up on
For me, he'd be the one-out gws when we're struggling
Clear out the fwd line, give him a clear run at the ball, change the game

Hale has the runs on the board but Cegs is closing awfully fast and Mc is better defensively than both of them. Who is better going forward? right now I'd have to say Hale first and daylight second. What do we need more week-to-week? agility? experience? attack? stamina?

Can't decide.

Hale takes a lot of marks around the ground as well as punching a couple of goals a game. Cant see him at Box Hill anytime soon.
Cegs and Mcevoy will need to make themselves indispensable to demand a spot over Hale.

It's a great situation to have 3 quality options in the Ruck

Give them all an opportunity this year and go with the in form ones

not rocket science

Exactly....Spread the work-load evenly, so we have them all Cherry-Ripe come September/October, when it matters.

We may not have a top 10 Ruckman in our cupboard, but we have the best quality ruck division going into 2015....Much like the rest of our midfield.

Wow, bad problem to have. Best mark is, all are good marks, all solid kicks for goal, all good around the ground. Not sure get a chance in our flag this year

Guess you missed Ceglar's shots from straight in front that went out on the full last year, eh.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't remener any of these.

Care to quote which games?
Can't recall off the top of my head. Was one against Geelong late in the year from memory.

I'm not going to go through game video to find them, but his clanger count should tell a story. 42% of his total kicks were marked as clangers in 2014.

Last edited:
No rush to move on Hale. If we can keep him fresh he'll play most weeks. BB needs to work harder. He runs all day like a camel but his agility is terrible. His body on body on work is also suspect. When he gets separation he is a chance needs to play to his strength.

In terms of pure rucking BB is now well behind Cegs. BB's work in the ruck in the second quarter was poor.

Next time, say: "I dont like player X so I'm going to make up something he did wrong!"

;)
Nice deflection from the stats. If I'm bored I'll go through our games tomorrow and find them, but I'm all but certain you'll still ignore it anyway.

Nice deflection from the stats. If I'm bored I'll go through our games tomorrow and find them, but I'm all but certain you'll still ignore it anyway.

I'll be back tomorrow to see the stats.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion McEvoy needs to be a permanent replacement for Hale

Remove this Banner Ad

Back