Opinion McEvoy needs to be a permanent replacement for Hale

Remove this Banner Ad

Now McEvoy has got Hale's forward/ ruck position it does make things juicy for future selection because Hale has the runs on board as a forward and is probably a better tap ruckman than McEvoy.

So if they feel that Hale might offer more in that role then BB has to deal with the fact that Ceglar has been given time in what was really his position as main ruck.

In essence BB is competing directly with both of the other two, whilst they're not competing with one another for the same position as such.

I think the coaches were surprised just how good Ceglar became so quickly. I wonder whether we would have traded for BB had it been otherwise. I was impressed with Ceglar on Monday: both tap work and mobility. He puts in 100% and seems to know the gameplan well.

I think the coaches were surprised just how good Ceglar became so quickly. I wonder whether we would have traded for BB had it been otherwise. I was impressed with Ceglar on Monday: both tap work and mobility. He puts in 100% and seems to know the gameplan well.
Ceglar finally played like someone who thinks he belongs rather than someone having to prove himself with every contest. Looked focus, confident and was really effective.

Thanks collingwood

Still 100% think the BB trade is worth it

We currently have 3 capable ruckman playing for 2 positions & none of them are a liability around the ground

You'd have to anticipate a big man to miss 4 matches a year with an injury or a niggle which means there's 12 matches a year that one of them will be unavailable

No idea how many more years Hale has left in him, but he will need replacing too - we need 3 ruck/forwards on the list plus a developing ruck as well

Ceglar finally played like someone who thinks he belongs rather than someone having to prove himself with every contest. Looked focus, confident and was really effective.

Thanks collingwood

The best part is that Collingwood delisted him. Not only did we get him "for free", but also they axed him 1 year before he suddenly blossomed into a proper player.

I hope the paranoia forces them to second-guess every delisting from now on, making list management decisions doubly hard.

Still 100% think the BB trade is worth it

We currently have 3 capable ruckman playing for 2 positions & none of them are a liability around the ground

You'd have to anticipate a big man to miss 4 matches a year with an injury or a niggle which means there's 12 matches a year that one of them will be unavailable

No idea how many more years Hale has left in him, but he will need replacing too - we need 3 ruck/forwards on the list plus a developing ruck as well
We already have a developing Ruck. While it would be amazing to have another player of the caliber of Hale come in once Hale retires, realistically no player of that quality is going to come to Hawthorn to play behind McEvoy and Ceglar. Will have to go back to the bargain basement discarded rucks probably.

Thanks collingwood
I can't emphasise enough how important that is for a players' development. I believe he'll have a breakout season to remember.

Since picking up Pittonet we don't really have to worry about much more than picking up a decent 3rd string ruckman over the next 2 years. Sure Grimley isn't up to AFL standard, but he'll fill the hole until Pittonet is ready. As such i wouldn't be surprised to see Grimley hang around for another couple of years (or for us to pick up a similar quality player on the cheap).

Mcevoy and Ceglar both have at least 7 years left (assuming they stay Hawks) which will give the youngster plenty of time to develop, popping in to give them rests when necessary.

We also have Rough who can pop into the ruck for short bursts if absolutely necessary due to injuries.

Since picking up Pittonet we don't really have to worry about much more than picking up a decent 3rd string ruckman over the next 2 years. Sure Grimley isn't up to AFL standard, but he'll fill the hole until Pittonet is ready. As such i wouldn't be surprised to see Grimley hang around for another couple of years (or for us to pick up a similar quality player on the cheap).

Mcevoy and Ceglar both have at least 7 years left (assuming they stay Hawks) which will give the youngster plenty of time to develop, popping in to give them rests when necessary.

We also have Rough who can pop into the ruck for short bursts if absolutely necessary due to injuries.

Grimley is only on Hawthorn's list (as a rookie) because the club publicly promised that if no other club picked him up during the player movement period last year, the club would use a rookie pick on him.

He's as good as gone by the end of this season, barring some miraculous turnaround.

On the topic of Roughead pinch-hitting in the ruck, I speculate that given Roughead tore his Achilles tendon playing in the ruck, the club would be very loathe to expose him to that sort of usage again. Gone are the days when Roughead would be needed to play minutes in the ruck after Bailey was subbed off to spell Hale.

Grimley is only on Hawthorn's list (as a rookie) because the club publicly promised that if no other club picked him up during the player movement period last year, the club would use a rookie pick on him.

He's as good as gone by the end of this season, barring some miraculous turnaround.

On the topic of Roughead pinch-hitting in the ruck, I speculate that given Roughead tore his Achilles tendon playing in the ruck, the club would be very loathe to expose him to that sort of usage again. Gone are the days when Roughead would be needed to play minutes in the ruck after Bailey was subbed off to spell Hale.

Good point. At that time we had two ruckmen, the situation the op is advocating.
Id post the "why cant we have both" gif but it really should be "why cant we have all three"
Just enjoy because as someone said, well be back to two soon enough

Just enjoy because as someone said, well be back to two soon enough
I think we will be in someones ear as soon as we think that is a remote possibility (so this year), unless we think Pittonet will be up to it in the next 18 months. This club plans too well to be blindsided by something like Hale retiring and leaving us short of a ruck in the case on injury.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My concern with McEvoy is that he's not a natural forward. I feel that he's a lot more comfortable playing a kick behind play so that he can monitor where the opponent is likely to direct play and he can move around to disrupt their forward forays (including by taking intercept marks). I thought he showcased that skill quite nicely in the 2014 grand final where he positioned himself perfectly to stop Sydney clearing their defensive zone.

I'm sure that, with time and coaching, McEvoy can improve his forward play, but I would prefer to see Ceglar as the eventual Hale replacement as a ruck who can push forward and kick goals while McEvoy sticks to his knitting and helps out the defence.

My concern with McEvoy is that he's not a natural forward. I feel that he's a lot more comfortable playing a kick behind play so that he can monitor where the opponent is likely to direct play and he can move around to disrupt their forward forays (including by taking intercept marks). I thought he showcased that skill quite nicely in the 2014 grand final where he positioned himself perfectly to stop Sydney clearing their defensive zone.

I'm sure that, with time and coaching, McEvoy can improve his forward play, but I would prefer to see Ceglar as the eventual Hale replacement as a ruck who can push forward and kick goals while McEvoy sticks to his knitting and helps out the defence.
I thought he went alright against the Cats in the Forwardline but their defence was a bit crap

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion McEvoy needs to be a permanent replacement for Hale

Remove this Banner Ad

Back