McGinnity to be sanctioned for insulting a players mother

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So by petterds own admission he was the instigator of the sledging. He threatened to kill McGinnity.

Will Melbourne now suspend petterd??

Yeah, I get it now. It's OK to say demeaning, disgusting and repulsive things about women because:
  • It was said on the football field
  • It was said in the stress of competition
  • What is said on the field stays on the field
  • It's all just said in fun
Weak and gutless.
What about when women do it to other women, or men about other men.

Like I said, netball can be shocking at least at an amateur level.

Here are the details of what was said.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/patrick-mcginnitys-rape-mum-slur/story-e6frf9jf-1226116333627

Interesting that Petterd allegedly made threats to kill, since Jake King is facing a real court next week over the same thing. Seems that some threats are taken more seriously than others...

And this from the melbourne fc website ....

Petterd said he had since spoken with his mother about the incident.

“I had a little bit of a chat with Mum and she’s a bit tougher than me, so it doesn’t affect her,” he said.

“She’s fine. She understands it’s football.”

In regards to the bolded bit, I'd suggest thats not in dispute :p

More seriously though what is meant by the last line. Mum is fine, she understands its football .... wasn't she villified? Wasn't she brutally damaged as a women under the "respect" policy? Or is that one line the issue we are all arguing about i.e. that the statement has to be viewed in context "she understands .... its football ..." ....

In that context, it wasn't a real threat, anymore than Petterd suggesting he would "kill" McGinnity was a real threat ... it was just bullshit by blokes on a footy field ... should we all be sanctioned when we have had a skinful and the hot girl with the big **** walks past and we mutter something to our mates about what we intend to do to "that"?

Lots of things sound demeaning when taken out of context. The reality is if the umpires and Petterd had let this through to the keeper, a has happened approximately 3 million times in the past, no-one would be aware of anything having been said.... its just a whole pile of silliness IMO...

Yeah, I get it now. It's OK to say demeaning, disgusting and repulsive things about women because:
Weak, gutless and morally vacant.

No, it's simply not offensive to someone of a normal brain-space because the comments are so far removed from reality, that they could not possibly be taken seriously. The fact they were said on a football field in a bid for basic one-upmanship, only supports that.

Never played competitive football I'm tipping.

People need to learn the difference between saying something that isn't nice and saying something that should be punishable. If I met 700 people chances are I would think at least one is a complete jerk. Why do we expect 700 people who run around kicking a ball for a few hours a week to be altar boys?

I can call Gerry Harvey a fat idiot and while it's not particularly nice it's hardly newsworthy or a capital offense. If I said he engaged in illegal business practices and saved money by staffing his stores with underage Filipino sex slaves that'd be a different ballpark.

The only reason the McGinnity 'issue' is as such is that Petterd said something to the umpire, there are cameras and microphones everywhere and the media has an insatiable appetite for scandal.

Pissweak stuff from Petterd. If someone sledges you, just smash them at the next contest, dont go crying to the umpire like the bruise free bitch you are. He's going to cop it this weekend.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No, it's simply not offensive to someone of a normal brain-space because the comments are so far removed from reality, that they could not possibly be taken seriously. The fact they were said on a football field in a bid for basic one-upmanship, only supports that.
So it's OK to say demeaning, disgusting and repulsive things about women because:
  • It's not to be taken seriously
  • It's not reality

Still weak, gutless and morally vacant.

More seriously though what is meant by the last line. Mum is fine, she understands its football .... wasn't she villified? Wasn't she brutally damaged as a women under the "respect" policy? Or is that one line the issue we are all arguing about i.e. that the statement has to be viewed in context "she understands .... its football ..." ....

In that context, it wasn't a real threat, anymore than Petterd suggesting he would "kill" McGinnity was a real threat ... it was just bullshit by blokes on a footy field ... should we all be sanctioned when we have had a skinful and the hot girl with the big **** walks past and we mutter something to our mates about what we intend to do to "that"?

Lots of things sound demeaning when taken out of context. The reality is if the umpires and Petterd had let this through to the keeper, a has happened approximately 3 million times in the past, no-one would be aware of anything having been said.... its just a whole pile of silliness IMO...

One of the better posts on this ridiculous episode.

That Herald Sun article is nothing more than mere speculation. It names 'a source' as the basis for those claims.

And if the allegation that Petterd threatened to kill McGinnity first was true - would that affect people's opinions?

No, it would not.

I tell people I will kill them all the time (well, not all the time) when I'm pissed off at them.

I don't tell them I'm going to rape their mum.

There's a line there somewhere.

I prob would be telling the girl what I want to do to her. Never had a Sheila report me for telling her the truth. He'll most bitches appreciate it. So in saying that petard is not a bitch. He's just an ugly boy with a brain thus not quick enough to combat someone as intellectually brilliant as patty with his amazing "Yo mama" line...

Threatening to rape an opponent's mother? Seems like a top bloke... :thumbsdown:

Admits his Mum is tougher than him he'd have to play for Melbourne wouldn't he.;)
But seriously the club should be congratulated they are following the policy so is the umpire and so is Ricky. Clearly times have changed and we all have to live with them. Unless your a fan that chants rapist to a guy who was never charged or had the evidence tested in court. I implore all footy fans to join Rick in his brave stance and only comment in a constructive fashion about opposition players. I will be implementing this immediately join my crusade against verbal abuse.

No, it would not.

I tell people I will kill them all the time (well, not all the time) when I'm pissed off at them.

I don't tell them I'm going to rape their mum.

There's a line there somewhere.

But why is threatening to murder a person less offensive than threatening to rape their mother?

I know both are not actually serious and both never intended to follow through with those threats (if it is true), but do you agree with the differing standards on this one?

So it's OK to say demeaning, disgusting and repulsive things about women because:
  • It's not to be taken seriously
  • It's not reality

Still weak, gutless and morally vacant.
But judging by your post you think its OK to say those things about men?

Dont know if its just me but the world must be getting soft. I work in a trade and I hear stuff worse than this everyday. Petterd wouldnt last 5 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back