Terry Tan

Club Legend
May 15, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
why was this kid left to be slaughtered by Big Barry Hall. Why didn't Wallace play Polak who has the size and speed to match him.

Another Wallace mismatch.

why was this kid left to be slaughtered by Big Barry Hall. Why didn't Wallace play Polak who has the size and speed to match him.

Another Wallace mismatch.
mcguane would make a good flanker but is clearly too small to be a kpp; if he only has a bit of speed and agility or bulk he might make it.

mcguane would make a good flanker but is clearly too small to be a kpp; if he only has a bit of speed and agility or bulk he might make it.
Rubbish.

McGuane (bodywise) is a clone of one of the better afl backman in Nathan Bassett.

You don't have to be a gorilla to stand opposition forwards, just brave and footy smart.

I also thought McGuane played ok. He will learn from that. I thought it was good that he remained competitive and showed Hall that he was not intimidated by him. The touch Hall was in last night would have allowed him to monster practically any fullback in the league. What Luke needed was a bit more help from our midfielders putting more pressure on the swans ball delivery into the forward line. Their foot skills were so much better than ours and their finishing was first class. Our forwards and mids need to learn to be more defensive when they don't have the ball and more attacking when they do. This creates the pressure on the opposition that will cause their skills to deteriorate and result in turnovers for us. Finally we also have to hurt teams in front of goal, as scoreboard pressure is the best pressure of all.

Jay Schulz would have been a better match up. Wallace came to the club determined to make a CHB out of Schulz and now without Andy Kellaway and Gaspar he abandons the plan...

Surely now would be the time to have another go at this plan, especially with Hughes and Riewoldt looking to make their mark down forward.

In the second quarter there was some argey bargey between the two. hall was giving it to McGuane. Despite being out of his division McGuane didn't back down and gave Hall a bit back.
His got a bit of ticker but boy does he need to hit the gym.

In the second quarter there was some argey bargey between the two. hall was giving it to McGuane. Despite being out of his division McGuane didn't back down and gave Hall a bit back.
His got a bit of ticker but boy does he need to hit the gym.

I agree,
In two more years time I think he'll be a real goer for us. I would however like to see him play forward as well, just to see what he can do up the other end.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A lot of Hall's best work was at ground level. Can't really hold McGuane responisble for Hall breaking through the tackles of his teammates.

Good lesson for the whole backline. King, Connors, McGuane, Thursfield wouldn't have come up against a forward line that apply that much pressure. So many times they made mistakes bringing the ball out because they were rushed. No one matches the Swans in that department.

Good to have those guys exposed to the real deal. Give them a sense of where they need to get to.

Considering the circumstances, I think McGuane and Thursfield actually played pretty well. OK, so Hall had a strong influence over the outcome of the game, but it's not like McGuane got absolutely monstered á la Zac Dawson.

I'm not having a go at McGuane, I think he's got a bit of ticker.

All I'm saying is given his inexperience and current size, he didn't have much chance against Hall. So why didn't they play Polak who's older, bigger, strong, and fast enough for Hall????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????are you getting my drift!

Luke did ok on Hall. The umps made Hall look good. We also need someone that makes the opposition players look twice when attacking the ball. And this guy hits it with no fear. Has improved out of sight. ;)

it wasn't just mcguane who was monstered,we as a whole last night were just smashed by the swans in one on ones purely on body size.
jake king who has been good has found it very tough the last two weeks as he has just been purely outsized.
hall has kicked six on better fullbacks than mcguane so luke just has to learn to be better when the ball hits the ground as that's were hall got most of his possessions and goals

One player that is constantly annoying me is Thursfield. I think he is a real waste of space, just like Kelvin Moore. He's not that tall and real skinny and just too small to be a good key defender, and not a good enough kick to play anywhere else. I can't remember seeing him have a real good game this year.

But you know McGuane hasn't played in a single winning Richmond side in his career? He played two games last year and Richmond lost by 118 and 88 points respectively. Coincidence? McGuane isn't the worst at Richmond, but he's pretty bad and he seems to be constantly given jobs against bigger, stronger players.

One player that is constantly annoying me is Thursfield. I think he is a real waste of space, just like Kelvin Moore. He's not that tall and real skinny and just too small to be a good key defender, and not a good enough kick to play anywhere else. I can't remember seeing him have a real good game this year.

Keeping Micky O to 6 possessions not good enough for you? You're a hard marker...

But you know McGuane hasn't played in a single winning Richmond side in his career? He played two games last year and Richmond lost by 118 and 88 points respectively. Coincidence? McGuane isn't the worst at Richmond, but he's pretty bad and he seems to be constantly given jobs against bigger, stronger players.

Mate, Thurstfield has come back from a knee reco last year and has performed well above expectations.

he has kept alot of opposition forwards quiet this year.

Wallace changes his opponents alot so i could see where you think that he is no good because he gets moved to a forward who has already kicked 4 then they kick another and he gets blamed for the forward kicking all his goals.

If you can come out and point blame on Will thurstfield then your not watching the game completely and just seeing what you want to see.

Will is only a couple kilo's lighter than SOS and even SOS at 21 wasn't played reguarly on the Key Forwards of the opposition.

Get off Will's back and let him play his game.

Keeping Micky O to 6 possessions not good enough for you? You're a hard marker...
Yeah, thats great. Terry did the right thing puttin him on Micky.
But Thursfield when he has the ball sometimes...often...usually makes bad decisions. In the Sydney game he did a few handballs that put the receiver under pressure. He isn't a very confident kick and always looks to handball (he got 0 kicks and 7 handballs) and often turns it over out of defence.
He did well on Micky O, but his foot and hand skills are very substandard.

I'm not having a go at McGuane, I think he's got a bit of ticker.

All I'm saying is given his inexperience and current size, he didn't have much chance against Hall. So why didn't they play Polak who's older, bigger, strong, and fast enough for Hall????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????are you getting my drift!

You are a tool! You obviously didn't notice this but polak started the match on hall but was moved to everitt after everitt kicked the first 2 goals on bowden. Hence, they swapped matchups and mcguane was the one they went with to play on hall.

If he played Polak on Barry and he got a flogging then Terry's Recruit of the year will be seen as a failure....Polaks a good player but he hasn't been tested on a opponent yet

It looks that way stark. I'm sure Wallace sees Polak loose as part of a bigger plan, but he wasn't damaging when loose last night (when Everitt went to the bench and the ruck), and got moved off Hall quick smart after his first goal.

it wasn't just mcguane who was monstered,we as a whole last night were just smashed by the swans in one on ones purely on body size.
jake king who has been good has found it very tough the last two weeks as he has just been purely outsized.
hall has kicked six on better fullbacks than mcguane so luke just has to learn to be better when the ball hits the ground as that's were hall got most of his possessions and goals

King will play midfield and tagging roles eventually once he has a little more size about him around the torso and a lot more fitness.

We need to stop crucifying our defenders (whoever they are) when they have to play in a side which has the 16th ranked midfield in the comp. With the combination of Gaspar, Hall, Kellaway, Bowden, Newman and Graham, we were still the worst midfield by far, but had a pretty respectable defense who hid the fact more often than not.

Perversely, on the days they couldn't work miracles and make up for our typically appalling midfield, too many supporters stuck the boots in and put the blame solely on them.

We don't have a 'bad' defense now, we have a bunch of kids under siege the same way our last batch of defenders were. They'll improve like magic as soon as the midfield we're building comes together and is competitive.

Yeah, thats great. Terry did the right thing puttin him on Micky.
But Thursfield when he has the ball sometimes...often...usually makes bad decisions. In the Sydney game he did a few handballs that put the receiver under pressure. He isn't a very confident kick and always looks to handball (he got 0 kicks and 7 handballs) and often turns it over out of defence.
He did well on Micky O, but his foot and hand skills are very substandard.

Better skills than Gaspar who was a #1 draft pick and dual AA Full Back + B+F winner in Richmond's best season in 25 years.

Thursfield will be as good as Prestigiacomo for Collingwood who is an excellent Full Back who negates the opposition's best forwards without providing heaps of attack.

He's a pure defender, not a rebounder like Newman.

Remove this Banner Ad

McGuane monstered by Hall

Remove this Banner Ad

Back