McLean trade the best outcome for Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Chaplin is not average and i am sure if he became available 15 other clubs would say 'lets select a young prospering KPP'. David Mundy has been exceptional for Freo off half back. Do you watch footy? Bower will be playing FB or in the BP for a long long time yet mate and Douglas is a very good player who has assisted adelaide tremedously with midfield and forward rotations. Sellar is up and coming and proving that it takes longer for a big guy to come up

Do you? Mundy hasn't played primarily off half back since his debut season. He drifts in and out of games playing in the midfield, showing glimpses of his good disposal, but impacting gmaes nowhere near as much as McLean has. Chaplin's a decent defender but nothing to show he'll become a top liner. Bower's been a rebounding defender so far, and hasnt shown anywhere near the level of McLean.

McLean is a far better option than all those listed. Don't try and turn this around and claim losing him is meaningless because it clearly isn't.

When you try to claim Sellar at the end, i think LOL summarises it well enough.

Absolutely, I agree wholeheartedly, but I'd still prefer to see McLean's name thrown in with that bundle. You guys did very well offloading Johnstone to get Grimes and the young list you are building is undoubtedly going to be quite formidable in time, I'm just not as confident that losing proven players from that list and having them replaced by a draft pick is such a great thing.

I digress though, in the scheme of things I essentially agree with you that pick 11 was probably the best you could have hoped for. Maybe McLean was just a glory hungry pig who was only intent on achieving success in as little time as possible so losing him was inevitable and overall a good thing...
The 10k donation just seems to say otherwise to me though.
Glad we concur on most things.

I take your point about a required player leaving and although it might be grounds for concern, I have seen enough positive change from Bailey and co. to back them in again this time. If we lose any more players, I'll change my tune.

There have been unconfirmed rumours that McLean was unhappy at Bailey's tactics in the second half of the season and unhappy at the role he was being asked to play now and in the future. If he didn't want to take a hit for the greater long-term success of the team, that's his prerogative.

At least he's gone at a strategically beneficial time for the club. I'd have been mightily unimpressed if he'd signed a new deal and then demanded a trade in a compromised market.

FWIW, McLean was my favourite player and I'll very much miss watching him in the red and blue.

Its a terrible trade for Melbourne.

Here you have a player - taken at pick 5 only 5 years ago. He is 23 years old with a good 7 years left in his career, has genuine leadership material and is easily one of the better AFL players in the 22-25 age bracket going around.

For a number 5 draft pick Melbourne got their money's worth.

Yet now they offload him for pick 11 in a skinny draft where #11 may as well be #20 (or worse).

So its another player they now need to put 5 years of development into hoping and praying that he will be good as Mclean - he won't be.

They also have given one of their main Melbourne rivals a leg up as well.

Meanwhile I await 2013 when Cale Morton gets traded for pick 9 and Jack Watts gets traded for pick 8.

Only at Mebourne FC would a mantra of buy high, sell low be considered a winning strategy.

You are pretty good a telling the future mate, care to inform everyone of tonight's lotto numbers!

Nam another time we have "bought high" and "sold low"?

Well Scott Thompson is far superior than Brent Moloney so that was a horrible, horrible decision.

Get a clue mate Thompson wanted to go home, and used that pick 12 in a deal to get Moloney. Agree thompson a better player but moloney is no slouch, we didn't trade one player for the other.

First Point: Our top 5 picks?? How many people have stood up and said 'i want out'? How many? One player said it, one player! It happens everywhere. And yes i think it might have been a little financially related :rolleyes: One player leaves because of an interest clash and its a bad sign

Figure of speech obviously.
How would McLean fetch more cash as Carlton, honestly? You genuinely believe they will pay him under the table?

Second Point: How can you say that and put that crap over that melbourne ruins its players? You have nothing to base that allegation on, nothing at all mate. Your using the mclean example to try and tarnish the way melbourne deals with its players!! You are clutching at straws to fight a losing argument!

People have attributed it to Dean Bailey's handling of him, I was following that stream. He has seemingly stagnated pretty badly under DB to the extent of being played in a FP etc. Again though, like I said, it isn't unusual for young players to hit a wall after starting well so I agree that blaming Melbourne solely for it isn't necessarily correct. Players sometimes just need a new environment to flourish, maybe that is the case here, the bloke drafted before McLean proved that pretty well this year.
I'm not trying to tarnish Melbourne at all, why would I? I have no prejudice towards Melbourne, this is simply my thoughts in this case involving Melbourne.

Third point: Six spots in the draft??? We have been over that the draft is a lottery!!! Jesus Christ i posted the type of player that can get picked at 11!! Not going through it again!! You get a dud at 2 you get a gun at 75!! Come on think it through!!
So did I, odds show it was about a 2 or 3 out of 10 in regards to hits and misses between 10-20.
My point is if you get a proven performer from that you try and do everything to avoid having to clean the slate and start from scratch. I'm simply saying I don't believe this has been a good thing for Melbourne

Fourth Point: McLean is injury prone, he is slow, he wont get faster and we have seen with Luke Ball that that type of play is slowly getting weeded out!! MATE YOUR NOT READING ANYTHING I HAVE POSTED PREVIOUSLY!! JESUS SON THINK!

This is just clutching at straws and it is a laughable attempt to try and deflect blame. The instant McLean's leave Melbourne he becomes a slow, injury prone plodder that you guys didn't want anyway :rolleyes:

Fifth Point: because they are relevant?? Well how about you go and do some homework and see who has a worse off draft history before labelling it to melbourne because its convenient for your argument :eek:

Yeah, because they are relevant. If you end up with another Daniel Bell or Lynden Dunn are you going to be pleased with the outcome?
Like I said it wasn't to criticise anyone's drafting history, simply to show that I'd prefer proven quality over potential quality (age appropriate).

Great result for Melbourne.

From what I've seen of McLean this year he has lost even more pace (if that was possible) and he was turning over the ball when he was getting it. To get pick 11 for him was a big win for Melbourne IMO.

Get a clue mate Thompson wanted to go home, and used that pick 12 in a deal to get Moloney. Agree thompson a better player but moloney is no slouch, we didn't trade one player for the other.

How about you read the thread. I've already discussed how pick 12 made its way around the place. You've just answered the problem, you don't think pick 12 could've got you an upgrade on Brent Moloney? Hes no slouch, but hes certainly not worth a first rounder.

As has been said if McClean wanted out then it just has to be so!

But Melbourne had better start trying to work out why? and then how they are going to be competitive with a bunch of kids...even the 93 Baby Bombers had some (several) older experience amongst them (watson etc)

MFC could be setting itself up,for 5 yrs of develoment at the bottom..and if the picks are spuds ....another decade getting rid of them all!

Contact Stewie Maxfield...Swans might be able to spare a few decent players for some of those early picks;)

Glad we concur on most things.

I take your point about a required player leaving and although it might be grounds for concern, I have seen enough positive change from Bailey and co. to back them in again this time. If we lose any more players, I'll change my tune.

There have been unconfirmed rumours that McLean was unhappy at Bailey's tactics in the second half of the season and unhappy at the role he was being asked to play now and in the future. If he didn't want to take a hit for the greater long-term success of the team, that's his prerogative.

At least he's gone at a strategically beneficial time for the club. I'd have been mightily unimpressed if he'd signed a new deal and then demanded a trade in a compromised market.

FWIW, McLean was my favourite player and I'll very much miss watching him in the red and blue.

Absolutely, if this is an isolated case (which you would be pretty confident in saying it is as I'm sure most at Melbourne are happy with the course you are on) then there is no cause for alarm and my queries are misplaced.

In the end this seemingly just shines a bad light on McLean more than anything else, being unhappy because you are being played out of position is pretty poor form in my opinion. You're right, if he wasn't willing to compromise his game to benefit the overall development of the team then you should have no question in moving him on. He potentially stood to be a pretty integral part of your next play at success, something I would have figured to be pretty appealing to be honest.
Maybe he just wanted an easy way out though, I imagine for the next few years it will be a lot more difficult to excel in the Melbourne midfield as opposed to Carlton's.

As I said there would be nothing more pleasing to be than to watch McLean sink and pick 11 to be the next Ablett.

Please name the blokes in our midfield that are soft.

I would accept slowish, I doubt if you even know who plays in our midfield. I will help you out.

Jones I rate higher that Mclean re upside and have stated this before now. A fit Maloney is on par with Mclean.

The reason this trade was made is because we have players of Mcleans ilk, that is strong hard bodied midfielders. We are drafting quick skilled kids with 1 and 2. We need KPP's.

Mclean not on our list is not likely to have a huge impact on our performance moving forward.
Dude, he was talking about Carlton.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely, if this is an isolated case (which you would be pretty confident in saying it is as I'm sure most at Melbourne are happy with the course you are on) then there is no cause for alarm and my queries are misplaced.

In the end this seemingly just shines a bad light on McLean more than anything else, being unhappy because you are being played out of position is pretty poor form in my opinion. You're right, if he wasn't willing to compromise his game to benefit the overall development of the team then you should have no question in moving him on. He potentially stood to be a pretty integral part of your next play at success, something I would have figured to be pretty appealing to be honest.
Maybe he just wanted an easy way out though, I imagine for the next few years it will be a lot more difficult to excel in the Melbourne midfield as opposed to Carlton's.

As I said there would be nothing more pleasing to be than to watch McLean sink and pick 11 to be the next Ablett.

Hmm interesting, you have just spent the majority of your posts saying that Brock has so much potential at only 23 and that we dont value our younger players, yet you hope he fails :rolleyes: you also have said that a no.11 selection prob wont come as good as Brock McLean but now your hoping its the next ablett!! Does this rebut your theory that good players are not picked between 10-20??? :rolleyes: Your in a tangle mate

> Pick 1
No-one

Picks 1-3
No one (maybe Morton/Grimes)

Picks 4-10
Morton
Jones
Grimes
Davey
Sylvia
Jurrah

Picks 11-20

Frawley
Bate
Garland
Warnock
Martin

Picks 21-35
Green
Bruce
Moloney
Rivers
Wonaeamirri
Jamar
Petterd
Mclean
Rivers

Picks 36-60
Jamar
Maric
Cheney

Picks 61-90
Buckley
Meesen
Cheney
Valenti

Picks 90+

No Value
Bell (PSD)
Robertson
Wheatley
McDonald
Whelan
McNamara (valueTBA)
Hughes
Zomer
Healey
McKenzie (value TBA)
Newton (Value TBA)
Dunn (PSD)
Bartram (PSD)
Miller (PSD)
Johnson (PSD)

No first year players in my list-unable to be assessed.

Posted this a few weeks ago, I rate Jones higher than Mclean. He is younger, quicker, more durable and has greater upside. I rated Moloney on par with Mclean.

The best outcome for Melbourne? Wouldn't that be trading him for Ablett, Judd, Riewoldt and Pavlich? I don't see how getting a lottery pick midway through the first round is the BEST outcome for Melbourne. Sure, it might be a good outcome and could possibly be a better outcome then that Carlton receive.

Carlton have got what they needed, an inside mid, whilst Melbourne now think that they are going to build some empire of young superstars. They might but it's all speculation until they draft a player and then let him play for a good 3-4 years...

Some people are saying that they don't see McLean improving... this could be true if he was at Melbourne... but i take a look at players like Corey or Enright... Players like Montagna... when the team is average... they look average... then when in a good team they look like brownlow medalists... and I think McLean is a perfect candidate for this... it is no suprise that he looked better earlier in his career... because melbourne were a better team... and now in a club that is a top 4 chance for next year and being the 4th best midfielder in the team... there is every chance brock will get to the stage where people thought he would get to early in his career...

I agree with the OP... I think this is as closed to a win/win trade as one could get...

How have Melbourne won out of this? You traded away an experienced football player, for a draft pick! This draft pick could turn out to be a dud for all we know. Great win. :rolleyes:

Picks 4-10
Morton
Jones
Grimes
Davey
Sylvia
Jurrah
Defintiely overrated those two imo. Jurrah hasn't done enough yet apart from excite the fans. I think Jones is one of the biggest spuds in the game. I've just never rated him and I appear to be in the minority because quite a few people do rate him. I'd rather Moloney or McLean by a country mile.

What :eek:

They're at a club that has 'won' two wooden spoons in a row and not only that oversee a salary cap which is almost at 100% of the cap. Who the f**k they are paying is anyone's guess ?
Mate do you get anything remotely correct?

It was well publicised we payed 92.5% of the cap this year, along with the AFL's reccomendations. We will also have to frontload contracts next year just so we can get up to 92.5% next year according to Connolly.

You are a moron of the highest order.

EDIT: See some other people have already set you straight

Defintiely overrated those two imo. Jurrah hasn't done enough yet apart from excite the fans. I think Jones is one of the biggest spuds in the game. I've just never rated him and I appear to be in the minority because quite a few people do rate him. I'd rather Moloney or McLean by a country mile.

IMO people rate Jones because he's hard at it and can win a clearance, the fact that he can't kick to save himself seems to get glossed over - McLean and Moloney are miles better.

Mate do you get anything remotely correct?

It was well publicised we payed 92.5% of the cap this year, along with the AFL's reccomendations. We will also have to frontload contracts next year just so we can get up to 92.5% next year according to Connolly.

You are a moron of the highest order.

EDIT: See some other people have already set you straight

Edit : I also corrected myself later on if you read through the posts.

I also asked the question that if they were at the bare minimum then why couldn't they pay Brock what he wanted.

Wow. Just wow.

Whats wrong with that ?

He's never been tagged and been in the system for a minute.

Clubs are going to start paying more attention to him obviously next year so lets see how he handles that before going overboard on the kid.

The AFL is littered with kids who looked great in years 1 & 2 and didn't quite meet supporters expectations later on.

Remove this Banner Ad

McLean trade the best outcome for Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Back