***MEGA THREAD*** Packer buys 15.6% of Channel 10 shares

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Packer's raid on Ten = shut out of AFL in north?

9 is being repackaged for sale: the mob that bought it from Packer plan to list it in 2013. Cant see them doing more than keeping what they got.

Re: Packer to shut down One HD?

Does the average 18 to 35 year old prefer sports or news?

This is clearly a play to get rid of a competitor when EPL, A-League and AFL rights come up for renewal over the next few years.

His argument for getting rid of one contradicts is argument for giving us a Sky news channel.
HA HA no one watches News maybe for like 10 minutes a day.

Who cares guys like this end up getting a disease and then dropping dead and rotting in hell.No one really like them they pretend to i reckon.I don't really care but you poor suckers who need sports do.

All logic and business decisions aside I constantly scratch my head when I contemplate why someone like Packer gets up in the morning and says right time to make some more money, whose life can I stuff up today? I know! more poker machines in workers clubs and turn off the free sport!
How much of the freaking stuff can you spend in one life?
And yes I know $ is just how you keep score, it's all about the game blah blah.
It's the wrong game IMO. Surely there are better things you can do with a life?

Don't worry they get their back when the women take half of their money and noticed that no one really like them but their money.

Why?

The advantage of the digital channels is they have more than one outlet.

Much will depend on changes to anti-siphoning. Perhaps Packer knows where this is heading.
HA HA the free channels was for suckers to go out and upgrade their TV sets to get it.The same with the digital setbox.

and how does he have a Good Looking Wife? Easy reason she is a Gold Digger and wants $$$$
His pretty ugly in my opinion even thou i'm not a homo lol who reckon guys a good looking if i was a chick he looks like a lou costello mixed with the skipper from Gilligan's Island.You could understand some chick liking a Bon Jovi,Johnny Depp that's around his age.

Seems One HD is an underperformer:

He (James Packer) also wants the network to .. re-examine its multi-channel offering.

One, its high-definition sports channel, is far less profitable that Nine's Go! and Seven's 7Two.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/bus...ws-media-scenery/story-e6frg8zx-1225942442366

It could be because One HD buying a share of the rights to NBA, NFL and other American sports is more costly than GO! buying the rights to stale 90's sitcoms like The Nanny? Therefore, despite strong viewership, One will always have to play catch up to make profits.

Not sure though, I don't know much about this business.

Agree Foxtel is a Ripoff and Cheaper the Better:thumbsu:
Foxtel is boring although they have 1 good show catch a predator the one that catches all these sick pedos.It's funny shit seeing all these scumbags some in high places chatting to little boys and girls then geting thrown to the ground.

We should do it here although i like to get the ****ers and beat the living crap out of them.

I read on the newsbar on 24 about a week or so ago that the ACCC were investigating. Packer and all are gonna monopolise, its not fair. If Foxtel wasn't such a rip off it would not be an issue, you don't pay for what you get, you pay for ads, and at that price you shouldn't be getting any.

Exactly and no 24 hour Hard Rock/Metal Music channel or at least several hours a day.This without stupid ads or pop ups of some other crap channel saying don't like this turn to VH2 for Madonna.Who wants Country music and the same pop crap channels.

Who wants the 24 hour weather,News,Style,lifetime,fashionTV,Expo,Aurora bore and the rest.

One HD is a crap channel anyway. Its mostly got car racing on it. One of the most boring channels on free to air T.V. thank god for foxtel is all i can say.

If you buy television rights, to show sport, you should show it live as it happens, or get the hell out of the business.
When is TV rights going to become about the people who watch TV instead of all this commercial marketing crap that goes on .
Why do the general public whether on FREE TO AIR or PAY TV GET A SERVICE.
We are cruelled every second . Try living in Perth and hoping to see footy 2 or 3 hours after the game is over, and try not to get a score or a result before you get to see it. Happens every Friday night.
And watch what unfolds in the future , bloody pay TV will be charging a fee to pick a game every week that you want to see, like the damn boxing on main event , why should I pay for main event I already pay for freaking "PAY" TV. Bloody box office is as bad I already pay for pay TV and the bastards advertise as badly on the other 50 million stations they,ve got as much as FTA. EVENTUALLY PEOPLE WILL JUST GIVE IT THE BULLETT. Fox and the FTA PEOPLE NEED TO START THINKING ABOUT DELIVERING A SERVICE BEFORE THE PUBLIC DECIDE THERE IS NO SERVICE WORTH PAYING FOR.

Packer is a douche. It wont happen you wouldn't think, but its a ridiculous if this is his plan. I don't want to pay for sport and i wont. Just a money hungry prick with no concern for anything but his own wallet.
Thats why he,s wealthy. And all the greedy pricks around the world that are wealthy .
All they care about is themselves, like phsycopathic gangsters, they only care about themselves. Its all about them and the arse lickers that work for them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Analysts consider the most likely scenario will result in Packer shutting down Ten's digital sports channel One HD, effectively ruling it out as a bidder for free-to-air sports rights and thus protecting pay TV interests.

With a review of the federal government's anti-siphoning list, which has restricted popular sports going on to pay TV, the AFL has been keen for fans in New South Wales and Queensland to see games on free-to-air TV rather than pay TV, which is available in only 30 per cent of households.

If Packer shuts Ten's One HD, it eliminates the possibility and threatens the chance for NRL games to be shown on digital channels in non-league states. Crucially, it would force fans to go to pay TV.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/from-onetel-to-one-ten-20101105-17hm9.html

Isn't that against the Law to stop Competion?

Packer is just trying to Kill Free-To-Air TV:mad:

would rather the rights go to channel 9 and foxtel. Not that 9 is anything flash but 7 and 10 are just too incompetant, 7 couldn't even show a grand final in HD.
Flabbergasted by sevens rights the last few years. I thought it would be great to have seven take over again , but I think nine did a great job and I really miss the fox footy chanell, that was dynamite, wall to wall footy all year. It was the best football TV I've ever seen BUT tv RIGHTS AND BULLSHIT AND RATINGS WHICH ARE BULLSHIT ANYWAY STUFFED IT WHEN SEVEN GOT BACK.

Packer is a douche. It wont happen you wouldn't think, but its a ridiculous if this is his plan. I don't want to pay for sport and i wont. Just a money hungry prick with no concern for anything but his own wallet.

Then guess more Torrents then for more People;)

Packer wants to make ONE HD into a 24/7 news channel to rival sky news!! F*** that!
This.

I love the 24/7 sports channel, been able to turn on the tv at any time of the day and have the option to watch sport (sometimes its not the most ideal sport) is great. Since ONE HD we have had plenty more NBA games along with other sports such as NFL. I assume if ONE HD was to go so would these and it would be disappointing to lose these. What makes it even worse is a 24/7 news channel...

All I can hope they say in these board meetings is "Packer GTFO".

It could be because One HD buying a share of the rights to NBA, NFL and other American sports is more costly than GO! buying the rights to stale 90's sitcoms like The Nanny? Therefore, despite strong viewership, One will always have to play catch up to make profits.

Not sure though, I don't know much about this business.

Why is why I don't watch any of the other digital multi channels. I don't want to watch constant repeats of old sitcoms.

What happens to the NBL rights if he shuts down One? And what will this mean for NBA and NFL? Will Fox Sports then get more NFL games? Will ESPN get more NBA games? Or will we overall have less games than we do now if One shuts down?

Thats why he,s wealthy. And all the greedy pricks around the world that are wealthy .
All they care about is themselves, like phsycopathic gangsters, they only care about themselves. Its all about them and the arse lickers that work for them.

I believe he's wealthy because Daddy was wealthy, as was his Daddy.
Young Frank must have been a genious to rise from cadet Journalist to Newspaper director in four short years ... oh his Dad owned the paper. ( Seems R.C. did the hard yards though ).

I'll give Frank and Kerry some credit, they were fairly insightful and built up their family business.
So far James probably would have achieved more if he just stuck it all in a term deposit.

**** Packer!!!! I hope he's sleeping on a park bench in 10 years(next to Gerry Harvey but thats another thing altogether)

Its more a problem for the NRL as the players in Fox will look to maintain their value:

Rugby league tops pay TV stats

Ratings from pay television until the end of October show four of the top five shows this year are NRL games - the French Open final involving Samantha Stosur is the lone interloper, finishing in third spot.
Start of sidebar.

The biggest game of the year remains the Parramatta-Sydney Roosters game, played at Parramatta Stadium in July. The further you dig, the more impressive the figures for the NRL. Of the top 50 shows, 39 are rugby league. Of the top 100, 73 are from the NRL.

Next best is cricket with 11 games in the top 100, split between Twenty20 and one-day cricket. Only nine AFL games make the cut, although the sport has a greater presence on free-to-air television than the NRL.
The highest-rating AFL game was between Collingwood and the Western Bulldogs in June. It finished in 33rd spot, attracting an average of 271,260 viewers. In contrast, the Eels-Roosters game registered an average of 360,633 viewers.
The results were even worse for soccer and rugby union. Rugby only had four entrants and none were Super 15 games. Rugby's first entrant was the opening Bledisloe Cup game against New Zealand, which featured in 21st place with an average audience of 281,523 viewers. It was also broadcast on commercial television.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...ops-pay-tv-stats/story-e6frg7mf-1225949650021

Remove this Banner Ad

***MEGA THREAD*** Packer buys 15.6% of Channel 10 shares

Remove this Banner Ad

Back