Club Focus Melbourne 2024

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance

Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

Will be fascinating to see which direction we go this off-season. One more push while Gawn, May, Viney etc are still going, or a mini rebuild before Tassie comes in.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Will be fascinating to see which direction we go this off-season. One more push while Gawn, May, Viney etc are still going, or a mini rebuild before Tassie comes in.

Who do you predict our ins will be and our outs will be?

After Melbourne won the premiership everybody was saying they are unbeatable and would win multiple flags

Gawn /May another year older
Oliver in self destruction mode
Trac is a gun but we seen what happened with Dusty usually takes 12 months
Viney will always be viney but looking like has dropped off
Pickett after a great start to his career is looking loose

Probably have 1 more year at a last shot but heading south

Who do you predict our ins will be and our outs will be?

I have no idea at all.

My guess is the club fears regressing too much and won't want to go full rebuild.

Petty's value has dropped and he shapes as a key player in terms of the future list. If he stays and goes back to defence, that'd be the best move. If the Crows want him, he's probably only likely worth a second rounder atm.

My guesses:

Retirees from 24: Brayshaw, Smith, Schache, Brown, Hunter.

Tomlinson will ask for a trade and get it for little in return.

I personally wouldn't be against trading Sparrow and Salem for third round picks. I think they're both rubbish and might relieve some cap space but I know Goody loves them.

Ins should be draft picks or mature players under ~25, as we are thin in that middle bracket.

We need some more midfielders and good kicks imo, and of course a readymade KPF would be awesome but I can't see who that might be at the moment.

I’ve thought since day 1 of the Jackson trade Melbourne should have asked for Lobb as the steak knives component.
Probably only didn’t happen as I’m guessing they didn’t want to dilute their draft picks at the time.
His form has dropped recently but I’m convinced they would have won at least one of their finals over the last couple of years with him on board. All they needed was a couple of contested marks in the forward line.
He’s likely available again, less desirable now but if he can get some form or motivation back he could still be what they need for the year or two.

Matt Taberner will be free to a good home at the end of the year.
Had some back issues early this year but back fit playing well in the WAFL with bags of 3,4 and 2 goals the last three games.
He’s a more than serviceable 200 cm athletic forward (ex AA squad) but at 31 years old just doesn’t fit the Dockers plans with Treacy, Amiss, Jackson and Voss all between 20-22 years old all vying for 3 spots on the ground.
With May and Gawn both a similar age to Tabs, and the Demons notoriously short of keys forwards he’d be a free hit for a year or two.
We’ll likely delist him at the end of this year for list spots but I think he still has something to offer at the right club.

Given they have given up on Tom Fullarton already its likely they need to go in for another ruck. The last few weeks have just been embarassing for the club.

The reason Grundy/Gawn didnt work is because Grundy had ZERO idea how to play forward. They shouldnt be too gun shy on that idea as Gawn is still good to rest forward. Id be once again chasing that 2nd ruck/forward option but have one that can actually play forward

Id be in Rory Lobbs ear. Elliot Himmelberg too. Maybe if Eagles get Tim English then Bailey Williams would be a good idea. Out of those 3 id probably be after Rory Lobb first and foremost but otherwise id target Bailey Williams

Matt Taberner will be free to a good home at the end of the year.
Had some back issues early this year but back fit playing well in the WAFL with bags of 3,4 and 2 goals the last three games.
He’s a more than serviceable 200 cm athletic forward (ex AA squad) but at 31 years old just doesn’t fit the Dockers plans with Treacy, Amiss, Jackson and Voss all between 20-22 years old all vying for 3 spots on the ground.
With May and Gawn both a similar age to Tabs, and the Demons notoriously short of keys forwards he’d be a free hit for a year or two.
We’ll likely delist him at the end of this year for list spots but I think he still has something to offer at the right club.

Future 6th rounder.

the Demons notoriously short of keys forwards he’d be a free hit for a year or two.

are we?

past:
ben brown - 200cm

present:
harry petty - 197cm
disco turner - 195cm
jacob van rooyen - 193cn

future:
matt jefferson - 195cm
luker kentfield - 195cm

i wouldn't have thought tabener whould be much assistance to us at all; his back is more cactus than sideshow bob's

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I believe Melbourne cant rebuild while Gawn and Petracca are still in the side. Load up at end of season and try again.

Retire? Ben Brown.
Delist: Schache, Hore, Smith, Tomlison, Hunter, Sestan?.
1 year deal for Langdon, Wakefield.
Trade: whatever you can get before delisted.

Trade in:
Sam Draper. Probably the worst ruck going around but maybe he can become competent under some Gawn mentoring. He'll be pretty cheap and more suitable pairing with Gawn than many of the other rucks going around that are ready to play. A trade of 43 & 49
Dan Houston. Get that midfield stacked. 1 of the best inside 50 kickers around. 8 and F2 for Houston & 50
FA Will Hamill. Half-back/wing cover.

Houston, Hamill, Draper, 38* 50* 64* + whatever bonus you can get from Schache Tomlison Hunter.

Only one of them is any good though....

and yet two others are premiership players...

i'm confident petty - jvr - turner - jefferson can be a solid combination, with one of petty or turner to ultimately turn into a defender

with kalani white and tairon ah-mu to come in as father-son and nga tall selections at the end of 2025, i'm confident that we have a solid selection of talls for the future

certainly more confident than i would be if we had tabener clogging up space in the vfl a la tomlinson and schache currently

and yet two others are premiership players...

i'm confident petty - jvr - turner - jefferson can be a solid combination, with one of petty or turner to ultimately turn into a defender

with kalani white and tairon ah-mu to come in as father-son and nga tall selections at the end of 2025, i'm confident that we have a solid selection of talls for the future

certainly more confident than i would be if we had tabener clogging up space in the vfl a la tomlinson and schache currently
Yeah that was when you had the best midfield and defence in the comp. Now you have neither.

Not sure how you could possibly be confident Petty will ever be even a solid forward, he's averaging less than half a goal per game this year. Turner also looks like a defender but at least he's a good set shot. Jefferson looks like a bust.

Could do worse than Taberner for a year or two IMO. At least he can ruck.

Yeah that was when you had the best midfield and defence in the comp. Now you have neither.

Not sure how you could possibly be confident Petty will ever be even a solid forward, he's averaging less than half a goal per game this year. Turner also looks like a defender but at least he's a good set shot. Jefferson looks like a bust.

Could do worse than Taberner for a year or two IMO. At least he can ruck.

if you can't have blind faith in yr football side, what's the point of being a supporter?

personally i'm more confident petty can return to being one of the best defenders in the competition than i am that he will be a dominant forward - yet he remains a fantastic contested mark

turner, as you say, is a delightful set shot

ultimately, **** football; it's a shit sport and i hate it!

bring on the next four games...if they go to crap...that's the beauty of footy; there's always next season

Have had a think and I think some dees fans are probably right to some extent. But not a rebuild instead of a reset. 3 picks inside 30 and 5 draftees with 2 FAs. Look to get games into youth and finals in 2026.

Should have cashed out Petty last year when Adelaide were coming hard. Value plummeted now and still doesn’t really have a spot in their backline. Simply is not a forward.

Desperately need serviceable back up for Gawn and better key forwards. JVR is good but isn’t a KPF1, needs someone taking the heat especially at this stage of his career. Liam Reidy and Jack Hayes would be solid, cheap enough options IMO

Arguably biggest need is a change of coach though

Brayshaw
Oliver
Viney
Petracca

2024 has been a nightmare for the Demons.

Will they double down or is a hard reset coming?

Nearly every Dees fan I know, and me, realise the writing is on the wall and we need to prioritise youth with our window closed.

The club obviously thinks differently and wants to top up. Which I think will be a massive disaster - can see us going the way of West Coast and Richmond in topping up rather than accept the reality of a rebuild.

Nearly every Dees fan I know, and me, realise the writing is on the wall and we need to prioritise youth with our window closed.

The club obviously thinks differently and wants to top up. Which I think will be a massive disaster - can see us going the way of West Coast and Richmond in topping up rather than accept the reality of a rebuild.

Watch them go hard for guys like Stringer/Lynch/2MP and say hell to a reboot/rebuild,

If St Kilda get pick 8 for Battle, then.....

Melborne give pick 5 and Petracca to St Kilda for picks 7 and 8 and King to Melbourne.

A swap of later picks to be determined.

Remove this Banner Ad

Club Focus Melbourne 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back