Club Focus North Melbourne 2024

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance

Spreadsheet created by Lore and Taylor, using data from footywire and AFL Tables. Version above maintained by giantroo.

Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

Clarkson identified that a “strong spine” and a “deep midfield” are the key elements of any premiership side and he feels like the club now has “a bit of blue sky” to chase players from other clubs after several off-field issues.

“There’s half a dozen players that have been successful, that have had really strong careers and are really strong in their leadership.

“All the guys that we actually want are probably contracted because they’re required for a reason. It’s just can you extract one, two of them out who feel like they’re either not going to get the same opportunities as what they had before or they feel like their club is going in a different direction.

“We’re just hoping we can extract one or two of those. Jack (Viney) is part of that.”

“Ollie Wines we’d like to have a chat to,” Clarkson added.

Luke Parker, Dane Rampe coming out, he’s 34 now. Cal Ward, there’s these guys that are just terrific leaders who have been part of successful programs and are high quality men.

Clarkson identified that a “strong spine” and a “deep midfield” are the key elements of any premiership side
He's absolutely correct, which is why North's priority in the draft has to be a KPF to be second banana to Larkey. He's also correct to be pursuing veteran midfielders, who are easier to get than veteran KPPs. Hope to see North trade in a mid or two and draft Armstrong or Shanahan.

He's absolutely correct, which is why North's priority in the draft has to be a KPF to be second banana to Larkey. He's also correct to be pursuing veteran midfielders, who are easier to get than veteran KPPs. Hope to see North trade in a mid or two and draft Armstrong or Shanahan.

Can see this playing out. We used the later draft picks to add to small defender, ruck and key defence. This year there needs to be a move for some of these talls and another need, a pressure/small forward. Berry would be nice.

I'm not an expert on North's situation, but I was looking at North's list and I can see some good signs, but maybe you can trade/draft for pieces you are lacking in, I'm not the biggest fan of Dylan Stephens, CCJ and biggie Nguon, but I think this group of players is a good starting point imo. (Below 22)

B: McDonald, Corr, Comben
HB: Sheezel, Logue, Archer

C: McKercher, Simpkin, Scott
R: Xerri, LDU, Wardlaw

HF: Zurhaar, Pink, Ford
F: Curtis, Larkey, Hansen Jnr

INT: Powell, Fisher, Stephenson, Teakle

Duursma - talented 3rd tall forw, can also pinch hit in midfield
Hardeman? - exciting winger/hbf for the future, gives run and carry and has leadership potential
W.Dawson? - A player who could develop into a good kpp in future, depending on development could take Pinks spot
Taylor? - leading forward
Harvey? - has a great mindset, could develop into a good player?

Some decent depth, I personally wouldn't waste time with Greenwood, Stephens, CCJ, Lazzaro(even though he has been serviceable at times) Tucker ect, maybe trade for a leader type like Luke Parker and play him forward could be good for the group?, Fisher, Stephenson and Teakle could be replaced with better players in the 22 along with Pink and Corr, but it's a solid group of players with a couple youngsters like George and Payne who could show something if given opportunity, also try to find a good group of leaders to push the coaches agenda on field and hold standards to a good level, they are my thoughts on North's list.

I was also thinking of maybe replacing Corr with Comben, adding a small defender and replacing Pink with Wil Dawson, but maybe it's too early in their development? For too much responsibility, also fitness and a pressure based game style should increase your effectiveness on field.

Last edited:
I'm not an expert on North's situation, but I was looking at North's list and I can see some good signs, but maybe you can trade/draft for pieces you are lacking in, I'm not the biggest fan of Dylan Stephens, CCJ and biggie Nguon, but I think this group of players is a good starting point imo. (Below 22)

B: McDonald, Corr, Comben
HB: Sheezel, Logue, Archer

C: McKercher, Simpkin, Scott
R: Xerri, LDU, Wardlaw

HF: Zurhaar, Pink, Ford
F: Curtis, Larkey, Hansen Jnr

INT: Powell, Fisher, Stephenson, Teakle

Duursma - talented 3rd tall forw, can also pinch hit in midfield
Hardeman? - exciting winger/hbf for the future, gives run and carry and has leadership potential
W.Dawson? - A player who could develop into a good kpp in future, depending on development could take Pinks spot
Taylor? - leading forward
Harvey? - has a great mindset, could develop into a good player?

Some decent depth, I personally wouldn't waste time with Greenwood, Stephens, CCJ, Lazzaro(even though he has been serviceable at times) Tucker ect, maybe trade for a leader type like Luke Parker and play him forward could be good for the group?, Fisher, Stephenson and Teakle could be replaced with better players in the 22 along with Pink and Corr, but it's a solid group of players with a couple youngsters like George and Payne who could show something if given opportunity, also try to find a good group of leaders to push the coaches agenda on field and hold standards to a good level, they are my thoughts on North's list.

I was also thinking of maybe replacing Corr with Comben, adding a small defender and replacing Pink with Wil Dawson, but maybe it's too early in their development? For too much responsibility, also fitness and a pressure based game style should increase your effectiveness on field.
Pending injuries I think these should be our locks:

DEF: Logue / Comben / Archer
MID/FOL: LDU / Sheezel / Wardlaw / Kerch / Scott / Powell / Xerri
FWD: Larkey / Curtis

Leaves about 11 spots in the best 23 TBC.

The following are emerging and/or inconsistent options:

Zurhaar, Corr, Goater, Duursma, Tucker, Simpkin, Will Dawson, Hardeman, Fisher, Ford, Stephens.

That's just about a full squad, just.

The rest are either speculative (Maley, RHJ, Goad, George, Payne), or demonstratively unreliable (eg Stephenson, CCJ, McDonald).

Taylor, Lazzaro, Sellers, Free, and Harvey will probably be delisted this year. Drury is line-ball. Greenwood and Shiels have retired. TT gone too.

At best, Pink and Teakle are tall utility stopgap role-players.

After the Webster concussion, Simpkin has come back as a shadow of his former self. Hoping madly he recovers this offseason.

Stevo's brainfades are the stuff of legend and he doesn't have the prerequisite professionalism to make it. If we needed extra spots freed up, I'd have no qualms with paying out either him, Nyuon or CCJ. (they're all OOC next year I think)

McDonald is no good in attack, and on merit he shouldn't have played more than half this season. To a lesser extent, Corr's inconsistent too. In an ideal world, they're both succeeded by Will Dawson and Riley Hardeman in the not-too-distant future.

Lastly, any forward line that plays Larkey, Duursma, Zurhaar and Ford at the same time will lack pressure. We need two pacy small forwards this offseason to ramp up the pressure in the F50. Joe Berry and Joe Richards are the first two that come to mind. (RHJ might make it, but its too early to be banking on him)

The other obvious list deficiencies are a big-bodied defensive mid and a partner for Larkey. (Comben could do it, but I think he's done more to prove he could be an elite interceptor instead. Maley is the only other option, and appears to be a while off)

Keeping into account that we're far from a desirable trade destination atm, I would do something like:

1) split 2 to get two first rounders. Use one of them for Joe Berry. I'd also offer a deal to Port for Houston but I don't expect that he'd want to come. So I'd use the other pick of Shanahan/Whitlock/Armstrong.

2) Second rounder: Maybe grab Gerreryn. There's the long term KPFs on the list, finally

3) Bring our small forward stocks up to something approximating competitive depth. Offer Owies and Richards deals. Along with drafting Berry, that gets us a bit closer to a healthy list.

4) Then there's the question of midfield leadership and experience. Offer good money and a later pick for types like Luke Parker and/or an on-the-outer Jackson Macrae. Parfitt would be a cheap upgrade on Lazzaro and good competition for Phillips.

5) That leaves the issue of a ready-to-play contested marking KPF while we wait for our tall draftees to develop. I think it'd be remarkable if we weren't left with the choice of a limited UFA (eg Membrey), or a state league veteran.

So there's a fair bit of list turnover to come in the weeks ahead, you'd expect.

Last edited:
Roos need defenders and need to shake the tree to find at least 2 more like 3, disappointing way to finish the year.

Roos need defenders and need to shake the tree to find at least 2 more like 3, disappointing way to finish the year.
TBH we need list renewal all over the ground, but fwiw, once we have Logue, Comben and Goater back from injury, and Hardeman and Will Dawson benefit from another preseason, the defence line won't be as bad as its seemed over the past couple rounds.

Too many kids, I don't care how good they are you carn't rely on 18-22 year olds to carry the side from such a low base week in week out. We went through patches this year where we looked good but then the next week horrible. We lack senior leaders that can actually lead by example not just point and yell and say ive done my part.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We played without our 2 best key backs on the weekend. We brought in a 200cm Key Defender last year.

More pressing is the other end - need a tall Forward to help Larkey. Our 2nd pick this year should be targeting 1 of the many tall forwards in this draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Club Focus North Melbourne 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back