Racing Melbourne Cup 2018 and all Cup Day discussion.(Posting of bets after the race will be carded)

The winner is.....

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

They were beaten a length by Winx and placed in other G1s. It might not be the best crop of middle distance WFA this year but its still the best we have. So yes in comparison to every other horse in the country their form is superb WFA form.

Hence I had an 80% Aust starts stipulation which one more start Kings Will Dream would have fit, I'm sure Weir would have found an extra race for him.

In 20 years time purists will be bemoaning the fact that the Cup doesn't attract the same interest from the public of yesteryear. Of course Cliffsofmoher, Best Solution, Yucatan etc make the 3mins20seconds of tomorrows race all the much better, but at what cost to the long term love affair the everyday Aussie has with the race?

90% of the people watching and betting on the race would have just as much idea who Ace High is as they would Cross Counter. Nothing will be lost to the every day Aussie

They were beaten a length by Winx and placed in other G1s. It might not be the best crop of middle distance WFA this year but its still the best we have. So yes in comparison to every other horse in the country their form is superb WFA form.

Hence I had an 80% Aust starts stipulation which one more start Kings Will Dream would have fit, I'm sure Weir would have found an extra race for him.

In 20 years time purists will be bemoaning the fact that the Cup doesn't attract the same interest from the public of yesteryear. Of course Cliffsofmoher, Best Solution, Yucatan etc make the 3mins20seconds of tomorrows race all the much better, but at what cost to the long term love affair the everyday Aussie has with the race?
Tell me another race where they have to have 80 per cent of whatever country starts.
I am a purist and I will never be bemoaning it doesn't attract the same interest as it used to.
You articulate yourself well but you are talking rubbish!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tell me another race where they have to have 80 per cent of whatever country starts.
I am a purist and I will never be bemoaning it doesn't attract the same interest as it used to.
You articulate yourself well but you are talking rubbish!
Tell me another race that stops a nation.
Why wouldn't you bemoan it? Once a year types are a pain in the arse but its the Number 1 Income earner for the industry. The flow on effects of the income are huge for the industry.

90% of the people watching and betting on the race would have just as much idea who Ace High is as they would Cross Counter. Nothing will be lost to the every day Aussie
Then why will WhoShotTheBarman, a veteran of the Melbourne Cup and well known outside of racing fraternities, start shorter on the Tote than his Fixed odds and have drunk girls cheering his name? Ace High and Youngstar also currently shorter on the tote than Fixed Odds. No surprises there as they are more recognisable to the wider public.

Youngstar likely not good enough but if it was priced to it's ability would be a great bet for top 10. think it will run a PB and eat up the ground but can't see that PB being good enough.

GargantuanNervousAsianelephant-max-1mb.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Racing Melbourne Cup 2018 and all Cup Day discussion.(Posting of bets after the race will be carded)

Back