Racing Melbourne Cup 2018 and all Cup Day discussion.(Posting of bets after the race will be carded)

The winner is.....

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Before it was unfashionable to run 3yo in cup they had a fantastic record. Definitely not animal cruelty if you think it is .......time to give away punting and join the protestors
The last few 3yos who have won have carried 47 kilos or less when the topweight was much higher and the weights were not compressed. If Thinking Big has to carry 53 which is 4kgs less than the top weight just to get a run he will be totally noncompetitive. I would suggest even with his current weight he would be noncompetitive.
Compressed weights just means the cup is a glorified set weights and penalties and Aussie 3yo is wasting his time running.

As an aside i have laid 3yos shorties against older horses before new years on betfair and its a goldmine. They just arent mature enough usually (always some anomalies though)

Last edited:
The last few 3yos who have won have carried 47 kilos or less when the topweight was much higher and the weights were not compressed. If Thinking Big has to carry 53 which is 4kgs less than the top weight just to get a run he will be totally noncompetitive. I would suggest even with his current weight he would be noncompetitive.
Compressed weights just means the cup is a glorified set weights and penalties and Aussie 3yo is wasting his time running.

As an aside i have laid 3yos shorties against older horses before new years on betfair and its a goldmine. They just arent mature enough usually (always some anomalies though)

53!? Wtf are you talking about. If he runs at all he won’t be carrying a feather more than 49

It is in the cup now with Duretto scratched. Before the scratching it could have been knocked out by the derby and Lexus winner. I’m positive it won’t run the Lexus now.

Yup. Owners have said they will be scratching now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I cant get my head around this. so if he gets a penalty to run how does he stay at 49? This benchmark crap has got me flummoxed

He's only on 49 at the moment as that is the minimum allowed. Benchmark for a 3yo colt is 50.0 and he's -9.5 so if the minimum didn't apply he'd race off 40.5.
So he'd have to be reassessed as 9kg higher for a Derby win before he carried over 49 in the Cup!
Paris is right.....he won't carry a feather over 49......not even an ant's kneecap over :)

He's only on 49 at the moment as that is the minimum allowed. Benchmark for a 3yo colt is 50.0 and he's -9.5 so if the minimum didn't apply he'd race off 40.5.
So he'd have to be reassessed as 9kg higher for a Derby win before he carried over 49 in the Cup!
Paris is right.....he won't carry a feather over 49......not even an ant's kneecap over :)
Ok that makes sense. Its stupid but it makes sense. He will still be poorly weighted though!
I say bring back minimum topweight 62 and weight every other horse accordingly!

Is there an entry fee for that? It’s at crown yes?

Yeah mate it’s at Palladium, roughly $200 or $240 depending on your table. Still tickets available via Ticketmaster. Favourite day of the year, been going for 15 or so years now. Even better day if you can get yourself/your group into the after party at club 23, managed to do that every year but no idea what the deal with it is this year with TAB sponsoring it instead of Crownbet/BetEasy.

I won’t have much to add but always keen to hear people’s thoughts.

None of us have much to add :)

Having strong opinions and potting the ones in the market is the game. Sometimes you are right, sometimes you are wrong. No point discussing it if everyone sits on the fence.

Sportsbet are doing $3 for Avilius/Cross Counter or Magic Circle to run top 5 in the cup. Surely this is great odds seeing as they are around $2.25 just to place?? Max Bet is like $250 as well. Thoughts?

For mine that becomes either Cross Counter or Magic Circle as I’ve got a line through Avilius, don’t think finishes top 5 let alone top 3. So that becomes a 33% chance for me that one of those two horses beats home at least 19 other runners.:think:

Remove this Banner Ad

Racing Melbourne Cup 2018 and all Cup Day discussion.(Posting of bets after the race will be carded)

Back