Universal Love Melbourne memories

Remove this Banner Ad

I didn't know that about 186. Interesting decision!
Not so for our own board award it seems.

Pretty fascinating to look at the threads from the time. My favourites were Tulips thread 'We're all in this together' on the same page as Topkents 'what punishment would you inflict'

The votes below look bang on to me.

5//. Jordie McKenzie
3//. Jack Trengove
2//. Jack Watts
1//. Nathan Jones
1//. James Frawley

(right click > view image for larger size).

Jack Watts weird spin move he did on Brock McLean at the G and goal from 60m

Lyon snap in the dying seconds on a wet afternoon at Waverley to win the 1988 QF v West Coast. Roar from the crowd was like nothing I’d heard then or since.

Eagles streamed forward one last time with 20 seconds on the clock but Murray Wrensted fluffed the shot on the run 35 metres out directly in front. Absolute pandemonium ensued.

There was something magical about finals at Waverley. Beautiful big ground with old school suburban footy atmosphere.

Remember we played Geelong down there one time in miserable conditions. We were getting belted and Eddie McGuire was commentating. It was pointed out during the last quarter that we were on track to have the lowest number of inside 50's ever recorded. Eddie started openly barracking for the record and was completely miserable when we eventually got the inside 50 that prevented the record from being broken.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Got some weird nostalgia for this game. Being one of our 2 wins that year, and only win against a non expansion club, I watched the highlights a fair bit but fmd it was difficult at the time.
40 odd points up with 10 mins left and we almost flunked it lol

Gawnys break out game at the Cattery where we had Jake Spencer at FF because Hoges was a late out. Spoiled their Enright 300 milestone? or one of them. Bernie Vince goal from 50 on the left was this one too. Very cathartic due to all the trauma at that ground.

Gawnys break out game at the Cattery where we had Jake Spencer at FF because Hoges was a late out. Spoiled their Enright 300 milestone? or one of them. Bernie Vince goal from 50 on the left was this one too. Very cathartic due to all the trauma at that ground.
Ah, remember that fondly. I was in America.

Fun fact: between 1999 and 2019 (the year I moved to Sydney), I only missed attending four games at that dreadful place: 2015 (win), 2011 (186), 2006 (draw), 2005 (win), giving me a lifetime record of 0-13 at the venue.

But hey, at least I missed 186 :rainbow:

Still one of my favourite finishes to a game, epic goal by Tmac, complete with the goofy kick whilst being spun in a tackle, perfect.

The best part was Robo-Goody's reaction in the box, back when he was still human and not fully an android.

Remember we played Geelong down there one time in miserable conditions. We were getting belted and Eddie McGuire was commentating. It was pointed out during the last quarter that we were on track to have the lowest number of inside 50's ever recorded. Eddie started openly barracking for the record and was completely miserable when we eventually got the inside 50 that prevented the record from being broken.

I was supposed to go to that game with a mate but when he arrived at my joint to head in it was pissing down said we **** that, stayed home sinking piss and doing lines instead. Made a horrible game somewhat enjoyable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Universal Love Melbourne memories

Remove this Banner Ad

Back