Melbourne player caught urinating on bar

Remove this Banner Ad

What a joke. Some reject calls talkback radio and creates all this stir and as it turns out he was just out late. He deserves his demotion, but this is a fairly standard occurrence throughout the season.

The cameras wouldn't cover 100% of the venue. The bouncer and staff may not have seen anything.

You are really stretching to find a conspiracy here. Its his word and the word of the venue v an anonymous talkback caller.

The way i see it, he has very little to gain by lying about the situation, and everything to lose.

I'd like to think any radio staion that allowed this sort of unsubstantiated rumour to go to air, would at least have the decency to apologise if proven to be untrue.

I stand by my call on banning AFL and NRL players from my place (if I owned one) and this hoax call highlights why. Even if the player(s) don't do anything wrong, you're gonna get your name dragged through the mud because of the scrutiny the players are under. It's not fair on the players, but that's the world they live in. Closed functions maybe, but even then, the risk of leaks (no pun intended) put it in the too hard basket.

Is there any possibility of taking legal action against the guy that made the call, the Herald Sun of The Age over this?
It's not right that an anonymous person can make a personally damaging, unsubstantiated accusation that later turns out to be false and face no consequences. It's happened a few other times recently with the St. Kilda Schoolgirl, but the media, far from actually learning from their mistakes, went ahead and published it as though it were truth. Even last night, when it had become clear that Moloney hadn't urinated on the bar (an article on The Age website actually stated it) the same site had a video link on with a headline along the lines of 'Melbourne Player Caught Urinating in Bar'.
It's careless at best.
The lives of football players are (for me) far too closely analysed by the media, and maybe this is a development that's here to stay, but at the least, papers need to print the truth. When they start getting headlines out of rumour, we're in trouble. For Brent Moloney, even though he's been cleared, some of the mud will stick.
I remember reading an article by Paul Keating arguing that privacy laws need to change... that they're currently written in the context of a pre-internet world and therefore don't adequately protect the privacy of citizens, footballers of otherwise.
Something needs to change..

Remove this Banner Ad

Melbourne player caught urinating on bar

Remove this Banner Ad

Back