News Melbourne's Next Coach - Roos for 2-3 years with a succession plan

WHO DO YOU WANT?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Craig never had to build a team from nothing at Adelaide and I have reservations he can do that here.
Eade however has done that twice with reasonable success.

Craig never had to build a team from nothing at Adelaide and I have reservations he can do that here.
True, but he turned Adelaide around pretty quickly. Especially after some really bad early performances

I'd refrain from saying Eade has 'nothing' here; I certainly don't want him cleaning out our current list. We just need someone to ****ing get something out of them!

Just want to throw another roughie into the mix what about former Melbourne Captain and St Kilda coach Stan Alves was very stiff to be sacked by the Saints.

Proven coach could be just what they need. Been out of coaching a while though.

Just want to throw another roughie into the mix what about former Melbourne Captain and St Kilda coach Stan Alves was very stiff to be sacked by the Saints.

Proven coach could be just what they need. Been out of coaching a while though.
Too old. Coaching is a much more demanding job than it used to be. It's a younger man's game.

i would tend to agree that craig is not the best fit for the senior role, however i still would rather see him stick around in another role at the club.

now i'm going to throw caution to the wind with you guys, but i really think we ought to get Sheedy just as a mentor to the players, i know how we treated him in the past was bad but this is now and i think having him mentoring the players would help to install a winning mindset, it's a small role within the club but i think it would help a lot.

Sheedy? How did we treat him bad? We told him his application to coach us was unsuccessful once, so what??? Also I think Sheedy might have lost his winning mindset when he went to GWS.

Interestingly though, re Neil Craig, some recent comments have made me think perhaps he wasn't satisfied with the systems / structures / procedures etc. whatever you want to call them that existing under Neeld

Craig reiterated his stance on the vacant coaching job at Melbourne - he would be interested if certain procedures were put in place that he felt would help the football club. The issue is not remuneration or control.
"I had a discussion with the coaching panel last Wednesday, and it was good," Craig said. "It was more about where I saw the club in this current time and what were some of the things needed to happen for the club to progress.
"Before I need to consider whether I am a serious applicant for the job I need some things in place first. If that happens, it would make me think maybe put your hand up. If it doesn't happen, that's fine as well.
"Having coached for seven years in the AFL and being out of it for two you get a chance to reflect on things like if you went back into it, what would you need, that's all.''

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/dons-saga-to-help-football-craig-20130824-2siot.html#ixzz2d1qW7HDJ

Which also leads me to think - why didn't he guide Neeld? Wasn't that his role?

Interestingly though, re Neil Craig, some recent comments have made me think perhaps he wasn't satisfied with the systems / structures / procedures etc. whatever you want to call them that existing under Neeld

Which also leads me to think - why didn't he guide Neeld? Wasn't that his role?

Kind of, but Neeld was his own man - there were clearly things that Craig didn't agree with Neeld on, for example Fitzy and Watts playing as forwards, but Neeld was the senior coach...

Kind of, but Neeld was his own man - there were clearly things that Craig didn't agree with Neeld on, for example Fitzy and Watts playing as forwards, but Neeld was the senior coach...

Absolutely, and not blaming Craig for Neeld's failings - but I would've thought he may've had some quiet words in Neeld's ear

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm sure he would have - don't think it would have made much difference to be honest

Good point

857458-mark-neeld.jpg

"F**k off Neil, this is my gig"

Honestly though, I would be interested in what Craig is talking about when he states for him to consider the position, certain things would have to be in place

If he has it his way, with his structures / set ups / procedures, we could do worse

The Crowbots were battle hardened and very disciplined

I'm sure he would have - don't think it would have made much difference to be honest

Given the financial issues we're having, can't see the point in paying a guy to hang around and have his opinion's ignored. Makes you wonder why we brought Craig in if we'd just hired a head-strong my way or the highway type coach. Probably didn't think about it.

Did Gerard Healy just slip up on OTC???

Talking about Mathouse smashing a desk on the weekend and said to Roo's "not sure why your getting back into it"

.... Or am I going mad and reading too much into anything.....???

Did Gerard Healy just slip up on OTC???

Talking about Mathouse smashing a desk on the weekend and said to Roo's "not sure why your getting back into it"

.... Or am I going mad and reading too much into anything.....???

I missed it sorry, will watch in the morning, you'd have to think if he was it would be at the lions.

Put a couple of names out there that might be worth a mention.

Gary O'Donnell 3 x premiership assistant coach with the Lions
Nathan Bassett Norwood SANFL reigning premiers not long out of the AFL system
Ken Sheldon former St Kilda Coach and Carlton premiership player
Peter German has had success everywhere he has coached Tassie, WAFL, VFL and been an assistant with Hawthorn, Fremantle and West Coast
Leigh Tudor Sydney assistant former St Kilda assistant and VFL premiership coach
Mark Williams Richmond assistant former Melbourne assistant and 3 x time VFL premiership coach

From the list above I like Gary Ayres who coached Port Melbourne to the VFL flag without the aid of an AFL affiliate

I personally would like to see a coach who has a proven record of success at State league level get a chance also still like Roy Laird Central Districts coach who has won about 10 x SANFL premierships.

Put a couple of names out there that might be worth a mention.

Gary O'Donnell 3 x premiership assistant coach with the Lions
Nathan Bassett Norwood SANFL reigning premiers not long out of the AFL system
Ken Sheldon former St Kilda Coach and Carlton premiership player
Peter German has had success everywhere he has coached Tassie, WAFL, VFL and been an assistant with Hawthorn, Fremantle and West Coast
Leigh Tudor Sydney assistant former St Kilda assistant and VFL premiership coach
Mark Williams Richmond assistant former Melbourne assistant and 3 x time VFL premiership coach

From the list above I like Gary Ayres who coached Port Melbourne to the VFL flag without the aid of an AFL affiliate

I personally would like to see a coach who has a proven record of success at State league level get a chance also still like Roy Laird Central Districts coach who has won about 10 x SANFL premierships.

If they haven't coached at AFL and have done so with quiet some success they won't be considered, this has already been confirmed by Peter Jackson and the coaching selection panel.

So no one on that list would get the head coaching role, except Mark Williams....But not that one.

The sad fact is we need experience, we cant go with an unproven AFL coach again....we just cant afford to stuff this up.

I know Melbourne wont want to, or probably can't afford to take a risk and will probably go for a true and tried/someone who's been in the system coach, but someone will seek Nathan Bassett out at some stage. I'm a Norwood supporter and he has taken us from long time rabble to near on unbeatable in very little time. He'd be a risk worth taking in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back