Membership 2013 Final Figure - 12,705

Remove this Banner Ad

*sorry to (continue) derailment of thread also. that blacktown paper article was largely garbage. just couldn't resist engaging on the western Sydney state of mind idea :lol:

Because the suggestion is that western Sydney likes a winner only.... those clubs might not be the most popular in league but they still draw a crowd (not this season admittedly but historically they have, not just in good times). To those people that have been fronting up for years it's a bit rich to be told that they only like winning teams. It's an attitude towards western Sydney that I hadn't heard before the Giants came along.

I'll take your word for it on the papers - as I said, I don't read the tele, and no doubt some likely suspects give you guys a regular serve, but then they also take aim at football and just about anything that isn't league - but just looking at "realfooty" and "superfooty" I found 2 out of 40 articles which were direct criticsm (I don't think you can count match reports as being negative). one of them was Robert walls; the other an article highlighting the long losing streak. But yeah I'm not on the lookout for everything giants exactly. But can't recall the SMH questioning things re: Giants and the local rag always has puff pieces.

For mine thats a Sydney thing, not a western Sydney thing.
Sydney "fans" have much to learn from Melbourne.
If you want to know how well a Sydney based team is doing in any sport you watch the crowd numbers..
I moved here 32 years ago and I don't know it has ever been different, Newtown is about the only exception I can recall?

If you want to know how well a Sydney based team is doing in any sport you watch the crowd numbers..
I moved here 32 years ago and I don't know it has ever been different, Newtown is about the only exception I can recall?

Wests Tigers until recently was the same, always drawing big numbers in Leichhardt and campbo. But have dropped off recently.

Just with regards to the "Melbourne" crowds. Whats the difference in avgs between them playing only the interstate clubs and then only the other Melbourne clubs? Think there is a rather large difference, and as the play down there allot more surely this effects their numbers.

Check out the St Kilda crowd figures over the last 20 years Morti, you'll see them go up to the high 30000s when the team makes the finals and down to the 20s when they don't.

Not going to go anoraky and crunch the numbers but carlton appear to do the same, hawthorn too.

Overall the averages are higher than Sydney, that is beyond dispute. Melbourne has always loved its footy more than Sydney. But I'd be interested to see, club by club and city by city, the % differences between non finals seasons and finals seasons...

Couldn't resist a little proper look:

Parramatta
Last 20 years have reached the finals 10 times.
Regular season attendance average overall in those seasons: 15347
Regular season attendance average overall in seasons not making the finals: 12794

St Kilda
Last 20 years have reached the finals 9 times.
Regular season attendance average overall in those seasons: 36180
Regular season attendance average overall in seasons not making the finals: 28220

There is a greater percentage difference between the St Kilda numbers than there is the numbers for Parramatta fans.

I am in no way suggesting this proves anything one way or the other but it would be interesting to have a look at all the footy attendance rates like that I think... and at least has the potential to demonstrate that Sydney fans are not as fairweather as it would seem.

Interesting numbers, but the club profiles vary so wildly they may not reflect the overall..
St Kilda supporters are so starved of genuine success that any real hope will push that number up.
Parramatta has a history of success, they still have glory days to feed off.

The game, it's marketing, tv penetration etc etc have all changed so much that like for like is statistically difficult, that's before including or excluding fixture effects finals et al... And that's just the afl, nrl has similar considerations.

Be interesting to see a comparison within sports to see if they trend the same regardless of location.

Hi guys, was after a link giving the Sydney/Canberra/elsewhere breakdown of your memberships, does anyone have a recent link ?

Cheers in advance.

Hi guys, was after a link giving the Sydney/Canberra/elsewhere breakdown of your memberships, does anyone have a recent link ?

Cheers in advance.

Not recent.

Any info will do ... cheers.

Pretty sure that Sydney membership is bigger than Canberra's, just wanted a split.

There was a report last year that the split was one third in each of Canberra, western Sydney and "other" (including the rest of Sydney), and a comment earlier in the year that the GWS component had increased this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love it how we're still betaing the scum from the Gold Coast
I honestly cannot get this anti GC sentiment....we are basically in the same boat as them and to be honest I wish them success.... Just not more than us:)

Remove this Banner Ad

Membership 2013 Final Figure - 12,705

Remove this Banner Ad

Back