Membership 2013 Final Figure - 12,705

Remove this Banner Ad

And let's hope that ALL the Sydney members turn up to our remaining games at Skoda.

Does anyone know how many of the 12,483 are based in Sydney?
Roughly...

Total = 12,483
Canberra = about 30% = 3,750
Sydney + other = 8,750

I can't imagine we have too many regional/interstaters? At least 7,500+ in Sydney?

Three game memberships for ŠKODA Stadium are still available for the 2013 AFL season as the GIANTS reach another milestone.

The club has now passed 12,500 members and is hoping to get to 13,000 in just its second season in the AFL. Last year the GIANTS had 10,241 members.

With five games still to go at ŠKODA Stadium, starting with the Tribute to Farmers match against Geelong this Saturday, three game packages represent the best value at $75 for adults and $25 for juniors.

Family membership packages for ŠKODA are just $162 and include two adults and four juniors.

The GIANTS remaining home games are:

Geelong, Saturday June 8, 1.40pm

Port Adelaide, Sunday June 16, 1.10pm

Essendon, Saturday July 20, 2.10pm

Melbourne, Saturday August 3, 1.45pm

Richmond, Sunday August 25, 3.15pm

http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2013-06-04/giant-mebership-offer

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does it really matter, and a lot of members are not WS or Canberra.
I think the AFL would be following this very closely.
E.g. - you live in Orange. If there was a Canberra team AND a WS team, who would you follow?
Canberra used to be at least 50/50 Aussie Rules/Rugby (league & union) until the Raiders then Brumbies were introduced. It would now be 75/25 in Rugby's favour (League & union both more popular than AR).
If the Giants can help swing it back towards 50/50, there may be a team Canberra one day.
Therefore, I am interested in the split.
I am also interested in how long it will be before Skoda crowds rise above Canberra.
With family in country NSW (the Giants are my second team) I am interested - they are RL people but have stuck with the 'Swannies' as their AFL team.

I think the AFL would be following this very closely.
E.g. - you live in Orange. If there was a Canberra team AND a WS team, who would you follow?
Canberra used to be at least 50/50 Aussie Rules/Rugby (league & union) until the Raiders then Brumbies were introduced. It would now be 75/25 in Rugby's favour (League & union both more popular than AR).
If the Giants can help swing it back towards 50/50, there may be a team Canberra one day.
Therefore, I am interested in the split.
I am also interested in how long it will be before Skoda crowds rise above Canberra.
With family in country NSW (the Giants are my second team) I am interested - they are RL people but have stuck with the 'Swannies' as their AFL team.

The Giants have published breakdowns a couple of times. It was 33% Canberra, 33% WS and 33% elsewhere last year if memory serves (and it may not - I can't be arsed hunting down the figures), and they made a comment earlier this year that WS memberships were trending significantly higher as a percentage compared to last year. I don't know of any comments since then.

As for Skoda crowds, they will rise when we start winning basically. :)

I am sure the AFL care about supporter numbers but the Giants are targeting more than just WS with this team. I think the actual geographic demographics are irrelivent ATM just as long as the league is attracting new fans in NSW and that was my point, and the crowd numbers at Giants games will not be the only indicators, in fact things like Auskick registrations will be a better indicator than crowd numbers. When the team starts winning the crowds will come, when the team is not winning they will not...and this is not just AFL....Sydney sports crowds love a bandwagon, league, union, soccer all draw badly when the teams are struggling and those of us who have been around for a while ie not just jumped on the most recent Swans bandwagon can remember when the swans were in a very similar position to the giants now with regard to poor crowds and performance

If there was a team in canberra who would I support. if the Giants had been initially put up as a canberra team I would still have followed...if they had introduced a WS and a Canberra team ???? who knows but I am sure that I would haved picked one to follow as the swans had become very Eastern suburb centric... despite what the club and some of the swan trolls say. I did follow the swans, and still do but they have never been as meaningful to me as the Giants are now.

I think a team in Tas will happen long before a stand alone team in Canberra. As it is the Giants are the cancerra team and there is a good core of support building....and isnt that one of the aims

Is WS meant to exclusively designate Western Sydney, or Sydney as a whole?
My wife and I are both members & live in the shire, last game at Skoda we were matching wheels with 2 other car loads of people in Giants colours on our way to the game, given we attended early to go to the members forum I expect they were also members.
It's not just about a team for Western Sydney, it's about lovers of the game living in Sydney having an option to have a team to go see play 10 - 12 times a year other than being swans supporters.

Is WS meant to exclusively designate Western Sydney, or Sydney as a whole?
My wife and I are both members & live in the shire, last game at Skoda we were matching wheels with 2 other car loads of people in Giants colours on our way to the game, given we attended early to go to the members forum I expect they were also members.
It's not just about a team for Western Sydney, it's about lovers of the game living in Sydney having an option to have a team to go see play 10 - 12 times a year other than being swans supporters.

In terms of the breakdown I mentioned I suspect you guys would be in the "other" section. In terms of the club, I have no doubt they accept support from anywhere they can find it - look at the amount of work they do out in Wagga and Orange and Dubbo with people who might never make it into Sdyney to see a game.

Cool, some random guy had a word quota to meet! And the only person he quotes is "a sports guru friend of mine, Sylvester". :D

Between the AFL playing "trial games" (it doesn't - they're preseason games. There's only trial games in the NRL), being out by a whole year on when games were played, being seemingly unaware of the constant visits and events GWS runs in western Sydney, claiming that the Swans and Wanderers are our rivals for support (they're not), I'm coming to the rough conclusion that it's largely a rugby troll... just one with a column in a local paper.

Guy certainly looks like a meathead in the picture. The thing league trolls forget is that SOUTH Sydney play their home games at ANZ, as does Cantebury.

I'd also love to know why the f#%k we are the only team that cops s#%t for supposedly not playing home games in our area (when we actually do) who in Melbourne plays home games at home? Richmond, Melbourne and Geelong? Subi is not exactly anywhere near Fremantle and both footy park and the to-be-developed Adelaide oval is a long way from Port Adelaide.

We actually play in Western Sydney and yet cop the most crap for being away from home.

A baseball bat to the back of the head is what is needed in these situations.

Guy certainly looks like a meathead in the picture. The thing league trolls forget is that SOUTH Sydney play their home games at ANZ, as does Cantebury.

I'd also love to know why the f#%k we are the only team that cops s#%t for supposedly not playing home games in our area (when we actually do) who in Melbourne plays home games at home? Richmond, Melbourne and Geelong? Subi is not exactly anywhere near Fremantle and both footy park and the to-be-developed Adelaide oval is a long way from Port Adelaide.

We actually play in Western Sydney and yet cop the most crap for being away from home.

A baseball bat to the back of the head is what is needed in these situations.

Melbourne's got a home game in Darwin later this year, Richmond played a home game at Etihad and Geelong plays (or at least played) home games in Melbourne.

So yeah, in terms of playing home games actually being in the district named Brisbane, Sydney, West Coast and Adelaide are the only ones who can make unimpinged claims, with an honourable mention to Port Adelaide who's within walking distance of their stadium according to Google Maps.

Remove this Banner Ad

Membership 2013 Final Figure - 12,705

Remove this Banner Ad

Back