Coach Men's Senior Coach: Brad Scott

Remove this Banner Ad

Orgasational stability.

Firing the coach because the players did poorly hasn’t worked very well.
What do you mean stability?

Dodoro, sheedy and Coterie influence have been stable influence the club for a decade. Means we are a average football club but lots of stability in recruiting and board influence.

Good coach but is loyal to a fault and doesn't understand the intangible benefits of youth.

Also backs senior players at selection but is opposed to meaningful challenging afl house when it comes to suspensions.

Got outcoached at selection and on gameday badly Last night. Not sure I remember any changes we tried to make in-game.

Really need to fix the fwd line with langford and 2mp out of form.

Last edited:
Brad Scott should be judged in body of work and not just one game.

That said, this is the second time we have seemed to go in a bit tall to a game where it is expected to be wet. It’s a bit of a head-scratcher.
Agree we are still top four and he has been really good.

But if we drop away 2nd half and just scrape in or miss finals then also fair to criticize Scott for wasting opportunities to get more games into caddy, roberts, byran on the body of results.

I like Scott but that's my fear, I'll let next few weeks play out and ultimately results will tell the tale.

You can make arguments about picking this bloke over that bloke but at the end of the day my view is there are maybe 8 to 10 spots in the best 22 that need to change before we are a side that plays consistent top 4 style footy. Brad may be making a few selection mistakes but in reality we are simply sorting through the chaff to find out what is worth keeping.

Last edited:
Some ridiculous knee jerk commments here. The club is more stable now than has been for 15 years. When was the last time Sheedy spoke out? Even Caro has nothing now.

And with those who want Scott to blast the umps well he can't. Coaches are not allowed to these days. All the club can do is put in a please explain.

This one is on the players. Merrett, Martin had some diabolical turn overs. Our backline was soundly beaten with McGrath the exception. Ridley, McKay, Lav, Heppell, Redman had very poor games. Forward line too, Langford, Guelfi, Gresham, Hind hardly fired a shot. Hind tried but fumbled way too much.

We need to find a way to exert some scoreboaard pressure when we have the game on our terms. Most games the opp will come at you and you need a buffer.

Mentally we shat the bed when umps screwed us. 10 goals to 2 in the second half is not good enough.

We will need to make some hard calls on some players. Speed in the forward half is an issue.

Some ridiculous knee jerk commments here. The club is more stable now than has been for 15 years. When was the last time Sheedy spoke out? Even Caro has nothing now.

And with those who want Scott to blast the umps well he can't. Coaches are not allowed to these days. All the club can do is put in a please explain.

This one is on the players. Merrett, Martin had some diabolical turn overs. Our backline was soundly beaten with McGrath the exception. Ridley, McKay, Lav, Heppell, Redman had very poor games. Forward line too, Langford, Guelfi, Gresham, Hind hardly fired a shot. Hind tried but fumbled way too much.

We need to find a way to exert some scoreboaard pressure when we have the game on our terms. Most games the opp will come at you and you need a buffer.

Mentally we shat the bed when umps screwed us. 10 goals to 2 in the second half is not good enough.

We will need to make some hard calls on some players. Speed in the forward half is an issue.
Well put. Rough game with lots of players down on form. Umps didn’t help but generally things are improving at the club. The sooner everyone remembers their prediction for this year, the better. We are currently a fairly consistent 10th to 6th team. Not really near beating the best and will split games with those around us.

Well put. Rough game with lots of players down on form. Umps didn’t help but generally things are improving at the club. The sooner everyone remembers their prediction for this year, the better. We are currently a fairly consistent 10th to 6th team. Not really near beating the best and will split games with those around us.
Agree. Too many supporters go into meltdown but it is their own unrealistic expectation causing it. Strat the year saying we will win 8 games. Get excited and start plotting the path to finals when we win a few and then meltdown when last night happens. No thought around the fact we still need some decent rebuilding in parts of the list and it may well take 3 to 5 more years to do it.

^^In spades.

At the end of the day we are sitting 4th with an even chance in the next 2 games. Who wouldn't take that? Teams like Geelong, Coll & Syd are clearly ahead of us mentally but we can match it with them for periods.

While our fitness is good we lack polish under pressure, that will come with confidence. Our defensive structures are much better than last year

Comp is very tight and all teams have an off night. We are at round 16 with only 2 really poor games so far. I'll take that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So this is what this is about? Truck sucked man. I was a Truck guy too but he sucked.

Yep, this is me white anting for him to return to the role he doesn’t want with a playing group that never wanted him in the first place.

I’m in my Kevin Sheedy era.

I think we are so far behind the eight ball from coaches like Woosha and Truck on top of a completely dysfunctional football administration, and we're only just now just playing catch up.

The "attention to detail" is the cream and we're still baking the cake. I don't think any other coach in the world would correct a generation of **** ups within 18 months.
Agree. But going so tall in those conditions was a **** up. Not a sackable offence though.

You can already see the list balance issue playing out. He's attached to players incapable of performing the structural function they're picked to perform. Will he see the forrest from the trees, like his brother always manages to do but which he failed to do at North, or will he be pickng them for the next 50 games and blow the list up in the process (which is what he did at North)?

Good coach but is loyal to a fault and doesn't understand the intangible benefits of youth.

Also backs senior players at selection but is opposed to meaningful challenging afl house when it comes to suspensions.

Got outcoached at selection and on gameday badly Last night. Not sure I remember any changes we tried to make in-game.

Really need to fix the fwd line with langford and 2mp out of form.
If Shiel is out and Perkins is in v. Collingwood, this theory is moot.

I think he acknowledged everyone's frustration with the umpiring, by stealth.
A Series of Unfortunate Events = Lemony Snickett = Lemonies (ie., those in yellow who can't umpire well) Nick it (ie., steal it).

I want to believe.

Well no it’s just foot stamping.

But for Truck of all people?

might be foot stamping but it’s certainly not reactive foot stamping. And certainly not for truck, it’s for someone who’s not just a ‘we’ll try really hard and that’ll be enough’ guy, which is what Brad is continuing to show himself to be right now.

I’d do cartwheels if he started solving some of these problems on the fly because that would go a long way to proving he’s genuinely the right man in the chair.

Brad: "We can't change it, we can't control it, so that's our lesson. Can we do anything about it? I'll only seek clarification on something if I think it's going to be a concern going forward. But I don't think you need to direct that question to me."

Over to you, Barham.

What can he realistically accomplish in the next 2 or 3 years that he hasn’t already accomplished?

Continue to turn the list over to bring in the types of players he wants.

We have already seen the emergence of Durham and Caldwell as leaders and they will help drive it forward.

Again, culture takes years to change from the base we had set it at.

Think he handled the umpiring stuff correctly by putting it back on the players and their inability to work through it and stabilise the game. There is nothing more Essington than our inability to recapture momentum….was on full show last night.

That said, I’m sure he was ropable in private like the rest of us. Never seen anything like that 3rd quarter.

Setterfield omission remains puzzling to me. Danger bullied us around the footy (again) at times last night and we had nobody with the size to stop him. What Perkins is bringing to the table that sees him selected ahead of Setterfield is unclear to me.

We need some competitive tension in the group….too many seem guaranteed a spot regardless of performance. I’m particularly keen to see Hayes as he potentially allows us to free up Ridley.

Doesn't he? Caddy was probably a little stiff to miss this week but there's no youth in the 2s really screaming to be picked. Every time he's given Tsatas a game it's been painfully obvious he needs to spend time at the lower level working on his craft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back