Coach Men's Senior Coach: Brad Scott

Remove this Banner Ad

We probably need 5 more wins for finals, so I expect:

'Honourable' loss to Collingwood where we're competitive to HT then slowly fade away, smash Melbourne, win against Adelaide and St Kilda for 3 in a row, get ahead of ourselves, lose to Freo at home, beat GCS at home, think our finals chances are ALIVE, lose by 140 to Sydney at Marvel, somehow beat Brisbane at the GABBA by 2 points to limp in to finals where we play the Bulldogs and chalk up a 10 goal loss.
I’ll take that scenario! Only a 10-goal loss in the Elim- that’s progress!

There's been at least one person in here talking about hoping we are looking at other options before end of year.

I said end of next year.

Just wait until we miss finals, that take will look like a paragon of even keeled virtue while the rest of the country is hooting, hollering and flinging dung at us.

There's been at least one person in here talking about hoping we are looking at other options before end of year.
Half the list will need to change before Scott's plans can be fully realised. The culture is still developing - the players were only just convinced not to party it up last off-season. Calling for the coach to be sacked is immature and about 3 years too early.

We probably need 5 more wins for finals, so I expect:

'Honourable' loss to Collingwood where we're competitive to HT then slowly fade away, smash Melbourne, win against Adelaide and St Kilda for 3 in a row, get ahead of ourselves, lose to Freo at home, beat GCS at home, think our finals chances are ALIVE, lose by 140 to Sydney at Marvel, somehow beat Brisbane at the GABBA by 2 points to limp in to finals where we play the Bulldogs and chalk up a 10 goal loss.

This is truth.

Jesus we are talking about sacking the coach now? The one guy that has managed to finally finally finally turn the dial on our organisational professionalism and playing culture after 20 absolutely shite years of mediocrity, because why exactly? We're not looking like winning the premiership in his second year with a bog average list? Christ almighty.
Scott has to go. If we don't finish top 2 I'll personally show up at his house and move his stuff out.

Now that I think about it, even a losing GF wouldn't be enough for me. If you get that far you should be winning it.

;)

An Essendon mate just texted me his opinion on where we are at (very similar to my post in here the other day). I reckon this may represent a lot of us looking on with great interest...

..."After 15 games last year, dons were 9-6 and 5th before collapsing. This year after 15 games they are 9-5-1 and 4th. Nearly the same position. Therefore, I think we are about to find out if the club has learned from last year, how good the resolve of the players is and how good a coach Scott is."

Thing to remember about last season.

Bad transitions side and no mids. Fell apart when Ridley (only reliable back half user) and Setters (only reliable big mid) got hurt and the teams structure broke.

This year. Team has held up decently through njuries even if it is still a shit transition team and that’s the cause of 99% of its problems

Def looks good (although they really need to bring in another tall and move Ridley to D3)

Wings look good

Mids when healthy looked really good. (Aside from one game against port)

Currently shit: transition, Rucks and forwards

Forwards looked pretty good at the start of the year when the team was better from stopage so might not be that big of an issue just need some tweaks and much better entries

An Essendon mate just texted me his opinion on where we are at (very similar to my post in here the other day). I reckon this may represent a lot of us looking on with great interest...

..."After 15 games last year, dons were 9-6 and 5th before collapsing. This year after 15 games they are 9-5-1 and 4th. Nearly the same position. Therefore, I think we are about to find out if the club has learned from last year, how good the resolve of the players is and how good a coach Scott is."
I still think people forget that Scott was hired to change the Football department and bring in a new level of professionalism on and off the field and this season is actually season one off the back of the first lot of changes made at the end of last season. It was not actually about finals footy short term. It is more a build it properly to get the rewards.

Even if we do fade out I think we are fitter this year and the basic team defense has gone from a F to a C . Lots still to do but I am not sure you can expect a lot of change in one season based on the turnover of 8 or so players. The resolve of the players will be tested but what they learned from last year can not be fixed in one pre season.

I know supporters run out of patience when you are entering rebuild 3 or 4 or 5 without having any results but personally I have no real issues with Scott as what I have seen at training and the attitude around the club is certainly different to what it has been for a long time. The results will be the results. The back end of this year looks a bit harder. We have already had our North and West Coast games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I still think people forget that Scott was hired to change the Football department and bring in a new level of professionalism on and off the field and this season is actually season one off the back of the first lot of changes made at the end of last season. It was not actually about finals footy short term. It is more a build it properly to get the rewards.

Even if we do fade out I think we are fitter this year and the basic team defense has gone from a F to a C . Lots still to do but I am not sure you can expect a lot of change in one season based on the turnover of 8 or so players. The resolve of the players will be tested but what they learned from last year can not be fixed in one pre season.

I know supporters run out of patience when you are entering rebuild 3 or 4 or 5 without having any results but personally I have no real issues with Scott as what I have seen at training and the attitude around the club is certainly different to what it has been for a long time. The results will be the results. The back end of this year looks a bit harder. We have already had our North and West Coast games.
Personally I don't care about the ladder and I'm extremely happy with Scott and the teams progress so far. The main point is will he be a different coach at Essendon or will he make the same decisions he was criticised for at North.

The posts aren't critical - they are anticipatory really. We are hoping to find he has learnt and we get the benefit from that. That won't look like a preliminary final win (or even a finals win) - but perhaps sustained effort based performances and some agility with selection and players positions etc.

Personally I don't care about the ladder and I'm extremely happy with Scott and the teams progress so far. The main point is will he be a different coach at Essendon or will he make the same decisions he was criticised for at North.

The posts aren't critical - they are anticipatory really. We are hoping to find he has learnt and we get the benefit from that. That won't look like a preliminary final win (or even a finals win) - but perhaps sustained effort based performances and some agility with selection and players positions etc.
While selection is based on training standards , ability to perform the game plan and off field preparation and not just the weekend games selection will be hard for us on the outside to get a good read on .

Ah yes apologies, that makes your comments much less knee jerk :rolleyes:

Experienced, floor raising coach has raised the floor. He’s done exactly what I expected of him already, probably quicker than I thought he would.

For me though, as an experienced coach, of course you give him less leash than a first timer because you know what he is. He trusts who he trusts and if he doesn’t trust you, it’s apparent that he won’t put time into you, and that’s not necessarily a good thing if we want to find out about what the list can do.

I would love to see some stuff from him to indicate he’s a better coach 2nd up than he was at North, but I haven’t seen that yet.

Having said that it doesn’t always happen, Lyon for example is an absolute train wreck and Voss is certainly better 2nd up but it took him way too long and a bit of luck to get there.

I am fully with you that sacking him is absurd talk.

But I don't think you can say this yet. We've seen this story before, get halfway through a season in reasonable shape and then fall in a hole.

Saturday was classic Essendon, all gets a little bit hard and we give up. The response from here on will be what tells us if he's changed anything, do we breathe fire and keep the season alive? Or do we do what we've done for 20 years and when the pressures on fall away?

The edge went AWOL. Need the edge back against the Pies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back