Merged Delistings/Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
In hindsight, Laycock never deserved the crap he got. I particually remember the pasting he got after a Richmond game, we lost with some poor kicking for goal, people forgot the fact he took 4 marks inside 50 within a quarter while having floating bone in his ankle. To put it in perspective we took 6 in total against West Coast.

He also kicked 14 goals from 16 matches last year, only 4 players this year on our list have managed to better that, with significantly more game time I imagine. He is still only 24, considering ruckmans elevated value and late development, I still have hope.

Not sure, but I think that Bally should be extremely high on our do want list. A key inside mid with amazing defensive skills like his is exactly what we need.
Great point. Ball's tackling efforts are second-to-none.

Would be great to see him rotating with Watson as our key inside-man, however I suspect the club will be inclined to keep developing Hocking, Lonergan and Prismall; not to mention McVeigh and Welsh playing similar roles at times.

Would it be fair to say Sam Lonergan similar sort of player to Luke Ball. Both same sort of height/build roughly, both solid in and under players who seem to get heaps of tackles a game, I would've thought we have that area covered. I mean yes it would be great to snare him but I wouldn't want to give up much at all.

Similar to Lonergan but a class above, no doubting Sams courage or hardness as he throws his body in at nearly every contest, but more often than not takes the tackle and a stoppage eventuates, Ball more frequently extracts the ball from seemingly lost contests.

"We should pick him up :thumbsu:" lol :p

Interesting to hear he copped a knock against Bendigo - sternum bruising - hardly the setback he needed right now.

Ever since that groin injury a couple years back, he's struggled to play out a full season, has lost some pace (does this suit us?!) and even his disposal has gone a little backwards imo, even if the base talent, footy brain, desperation and tackling has remained close to as good as ever... really, it's whether or not you think he is somewhere near his peak and can make a worthwhile contribution and improve back to somewhere near his best - or if you think he has been and is on that steady slope down, a gun young player, cruelled by injury and losing say, 10% from his game, that elevated him to B&F standards - and if it's worth trading for such a player.

We have quite a gap in that 'middle-age' high-end talent at the club, Bally fills that criteria, when fit and firing, no doubt.

He plays that nuggety, inside role that would compliment or even lead Watson and Lonners' work beautifully. It's also the kind of role that I really see Myers filling as well. None of our other midfielders are naturally similar (imo), even if theyve shown adeptness in the role previously.

I honestly reckon we'd have to give up a little more than a straight swap for a player like/similar level/'upside' :rolleyes: to Stanton.

That is, unless Bally expressly states he wants to go, but honestly that'd be one of the more shocking revelations...

Sorry, but Welsh alone isn't enough. Throw in a second rounder and it could be entertained, especially with Baker closer to the end (Houli an option as well?! But hasn't played enough/proved this year for his trade value to be all that high). I still think we'd be lucky to get Ball with that offer though and I'd be extremely wary of paying overs for an injury prone player.
From 'potential captain' to trade bait after a year from hell from Spike, gotta love fans - we won't trade him, not for Ball. Football clubs have feeling, and are not just names on a sheet of paper.
I agree partly with the hoping/Laycock love - but Saints would laugh at us, even for a second rounder (in this draft) as well - his trade value is currently rock bottom..

It's kinda hard to trade players with a (potentially) premier and already so dominant team - they want to improve themselves as much as we do (which I know is hard for fans to realise in 'trading threads' lol). Picking up our inconsistent or struggling or guys with peak levels that alevel or few below Ball is not what the Saints will want as a replacement, end of.

With a host of potential, explosive, smart midfielders - tbh I'd rather seeing us back the kids we've got and the team we have - than paying through the roof for Ball (with so much risk), he's still very much a required player for the Saints, and we'd have to give up too much of what I don't want to give up, just to get him... or at least that's my take.

Not to mention our 'luck' with injury. He'd probably pick up OP as he steps onto Windy Hill in Bombers colours lol.

Meh, just my take. Interesting discussion though.

I have to agree. As much as I would love to have Ball at our club, thinking realistically I don't think it will happen and not because of his previous bout with OP.

Welsh would need to improve a ridiculous amount to get a game with the Saints and throwing names like him and McVeigh is crazy. Ignore the fact that these two are in our leadership ground and potential captains, why would they swap a mid for players who we've been running through the midfield and who could be considering inferior?

We would get nothing for Laycock, he is injury prone and hasn't shown enough to command any value what so ever.

Picks would be the biggest lure that we could offer and I'm not sure if that's in the clubs best interest for the future.

I think we actually need to look at what we need to address in terms of who we pick up, so with that in mind, I think we seriously need to adress our small defenders, Slattery does a good job, cops a lot of flack for not doing to much wrong, but what happens if he goes down injured? who comes in to replace him? Houli? Houli has barely ever played down back, and has some of the worst defensive abilities in our team, so that rules him out, Dempsey likewise, Klemke is still a kid getting his body and mind right so he can come in and make an impact soon, Mcveigh is doing an ok job, but ultimately myself (along with most others) would like to see him in the midfield cariving it up like he was last year.

With all this in mind, I would like us to go after possibly Jacob Surjan from Port Adeliade, is out of contract at years end and someone who is always going to put in 110%, is tough, hard, courageous and has neat skills, has reasonable pace and was a high draft pick, although has not taken the game by storm as most people thought he would. Another player I like the look of, is Kyle Cheney, he has not really had an extended run in the seniors and from what I have seen, is a reasonable stopper, although still young, has a good head on his shoulders, tough, hard, and nice skills also.

Would people be willing to part with a 3rd round pick for one of these players? seems a likely trade options.

With all this in mind, I would like us to go after possibly Jacob Surjan from Port Adeliade, is out of contract at years end and someone who is always going to put in 110%, is tough, hard, courageous and has neat skills, has reasonable pace and was a high draft pick, although has not taken the game by storm as most people thought he would. Another player I like the look of, is Kyle Cheney, he has not really had an extended run in the seniors and from what I have seen, is a reasonable stopper, although still young, has a good head on his shoulders, tough, hard, and nice skills also.

Would people be willing to part with a 3rd round pick for one of these players? seems a likely trade options.
He was actually pick 10 in the 2004 pre-season draft, meaning all the clubs over looked him for the National draft. I can't see us trading Surj to an eastern states club, as he is from Western Australia. He's made himself one of our best players this season and I'd be sad to lose him.

If he walks at the end of the season, it would be to Fremantle or West Coast.

I love Slatts. Houli seemed to do a pretty good job on Milne and Nahas earlier in the year, sure, he has holes in his game, but I do think he's unfairly maligned in some areas... and as our midfield depth grows together/gets better/experienced, especially after the year (with injury) he's had, I wouldn't mind at all to see McVeigh (if we can afford it) spend some more time back if/when we need it - as awesome as it is seeing him carve upin the middle or kicking goals in the fwd line. He's done well there previously and his best game of this year was probably when he played on Porplyzia..

But still, it's definitely an area worth having a look at. All this 'trading' shit, tbh, is something I barely look at during the year and prefer to wait until at least the end of Round 22 before throwing up too many names..

Surjan isn't a big-name that could conceivably be leading Ports B&F. Nice idea, I'd love to get him, he's back to his best, but Port would play hard-ball to let him go and I don't think he'd come cheap. Of course if he wants to go...... I'd jump at giving up a third rounder for him, but that won't happen.
Tbh, I wouldn't give up really anything much at all for Cheney. Promising player, does some good things, does some bad, hasn't screamed 'star' out to me, don't think Dees will want to lose him and I think we're just as best off backing in some of our own over paying for him.

I love Slatts. Houli seemed to do a pretty good job on Milne and Nahas earlier in the year, sure, he has holes in his game, but I do think he's unfairly maligned in some areas... and as our midfield depth grows together/gets better/experienced, especially after the year (with injury) he's had, I wouldn't mind at all to see McVeigh (if we can afford it) spend some more time back if/when we need it - as awesome as it is seeing him carve upin the middle or kicking goals in the fwd line. He's done well there previously and his best game of this year was probably when he played on Porplyzia..

But still, it's definitely an area worth having a look at. All this 'trading' shit, tbh, is something I barely look at during the year and prefer to wait until at least the end of Round 22 before throwing up too many names..

Surjan isn't a big-name that could conceivably be leading Ports B&F. Nice idea, I'd love to get him, he's back to his best, but Port would play hard-ball to let him go and I don't think he'd come cheap. Of course if he wants to go...... I'd jump at giving up a third rounder for him, but that won't happen.
Tbh, I wouldn't give up really anything much at all for Cheney. Promising player, does some good things, does some bad, hasn't screamed 'star' out to me, don't think Dees will want to lose him and I think we're just as best off backing in some of our own over paying for him.

Agree on Surjan, just thought I would entertain the idea on Bigfooty and see what people would think of it, I would love to see Surjan at Windy Hill, is out of contract at the end of the year also, so could be something else that plays into our favor.

I would like us to go after possibly Jacob Surjan from Port Adeliade, is out of contract at years end...

I was thinking the exact same thing when he did a terrific job on the weekend. Haven't seen him give nothing less then 110% throughout his career, would be a great addition to the squad if indeed he was up for grabs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Salopek has been dropped twice from Port's team, but I think he is a quality player and ball user who could add to the run of our team. He's probably another one way runner atm though, so that would be a concern.

Apparently one of our NSW scholarship holders is one of eight "U16 names to remember"

Oliver Tweeddale (NSW/ACT): Exciting key position prospect from Pennant Hills in NSW whose development is sure to have delighted Essendon, at which Tweeddale is a current AFL Scholarship holder. Already standing at 193cm, the athletic Tweeddale can play forward, back or in the ruck. A strong performer for his NSW/ACT side, Tweeddale is just one of many promising talents to emerge from the championships.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/81947/default.aspx

Not sure if this has been mentioned or not but should we consider going after Luke Ball? It seems his days at St Kilda are numbered.

One of my good mate's brother is best mates with Luke Ball and im telling you now

THERE IS ABSOLUTELY --->NO CHANCE<--- OF LUKE BALL LEAVING STKILDA....NO CHANCE.

Salopek on the other hand would be great

Imo Salopek is not the type of player we need.. not to mention given his injury history and our luck, he'll do his shoulder the first time he's tackled lol

Hello everyone. I was doing my usual roaming the internet and i found this rumour you might be interested in. Now i have never heard of this website (so i don't know how accurate it usually is) and i don't believe the rumour but it claims that Essendon have just signed NRL fullback Jarryd Hayne.

http://www.tweednews.com.au/story/2009/08/07/hayne-jumping-ship-a-real-bomb-shell/

Not sure what to make of this. Worthy of it's own thread though, will generate a bit of chit chat.

Hello everyone. I was doing my usual roaming the internet and i found this rumour you might be interested in. Now i have never heard of this website (so i don't know how accurate it usually is) and i don't believe the rumour but it claims that Essendon have just signed NRL fullback Jarryd Hayne.

http://www.tweednews.com.au/story/2009/08/07/hayne-jumping-ship-a-real-bomb-shell/

Seems like a very Un-Essendon thing to do. We are not in dire need of more publicity or members, and we very much like to develop our own talent and give those players a go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back