Merged Houli Threads

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Dropping Bachar

Softest player on our list at the moment and takes too many short steps. Not sure you can get that out of a 22 year old.

You certainly can't by following the "letting him play out the season. Who cares if he had a bad game?" line. You let Bachar play out the season despite slipping back into his old problems and the 10 weeks at Bendigo turn into a complete waste of time. The very tough stance may work in the long run.

Or Bachar will run away and ask for a trade. Either way we don't really lose.

He would've been told "Do this and you'll be dropped". He would've known it, and he still did it. What's so hard to understand about that?

Why is Houli the only one being punished for not being perfect and having flaws?

Why does Houli need to play a BOG game to stay in the side?

Many, many of our players have flaws that are overlooked. Dempsey/Prismall etc have been up and down but they still play games. When Houli is up and down he is dropped.

How the hell can he fix his flaws if he isn't playing AFL games. Don't give me that VFL crap.

not sure about the religious implication here....

I just don't see how playing 12 games in 2 years (26 in 4) is giving the guy the time he needs, there are plenty of kids in the AFL that get consistent runs over 1 or 2 seasons (playing poorly and seemingly overwhelmed and lost at times) that eventually come good and develop the awareness and intencity required at AFL level because they are persisted with.

His form in the VFL has been good and he has been consistently good for a while, but the look in his eye on the big stage is the look of someone inexperienced and overwhelmed. He has been poorly managed thus far and his talent isnt being nurtured to its full potential.

I dont know the truth of this rumour, but apparently Houli not getting a game was a big concern/issue raised by the players during the 360 degree feedback to knights and his coaching staff... even they are baffled it seems...

Why is Houli the only one being punished for not being perfect and having flaws?

Why does Houli need to play a BOG game to stay in the side?

Many, many of our players have flaws that are overlooked. Dempsey/Prismall etc have been up and down but they still play games. When Houli is up and down he is dropped.

How the hell can he fix his flaws if he isn't playing AFL games. Don't give me that VFL crap.
He doesn't need to be BOG. He just needs to put in second efforts and go at the ball. Simple things you'd expect from someone who wants to be a permanant midfielder.

Dempsey's not a midfielder, and I doubt we've had anyone in and out of the side more this year than Prismall.

and I doubt we've had anyone in and out of the side more this year than Prismall.

That's part of the point - Prismall gets 13 games while not showing improvement in his game, Houli gets 5.

If Houli was in and out but still played 13 games like Prismall me and many people wouldn't be complaining.

Anyway I'm over it now.

That's part of the point - Prismall gets 13 games while not showing improvement in his game, Houli gets 5.

If Houli was in and out but still played 13 games like Prismall me and many people wouldn't be complaining.

Anyway I'm over it now.

I feel for Houli, but i think people are holding him up on a pedestal. he's just not that good a player

Re: The 'Keep Houli at Essendon' thread.

Has no trade value...might just be let go, given the quality of our rookies coming through (I'd say Howlett, Crameri and Marigilani have passed him ability and output wise)

Untried at senior level. Premature adjudication.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The whole problem is - we are left in the dark about what sort of game plan we are working on.

All we hear and see is chaotic attack, over use of handball, no defence when things turn bad.

Maybe Houli isn;t doing what is asked. How would anyone know. And he wouldn;t be the only one.

His game against the Saint's though surely show's that his guy has enough skill to be put ahead of Dyson, Prismall etc etc

I can;t work it out.

I would be suprised if Houli is at the club next year though :(

"Houli was great one week but terrible the next" blah blah blah I'm sick of hearing all this shit, Houli has some serious talent and anyone that's seen him play knows this. Bottom line is this kid WILL be a star that I'm certain of. Bookmark it and bump it in 2, 3 or 5 years I dont care but what I do care about is loosing talented players (especially midfielders that can kick). I feel this is the last nail in the coffin in Houli's career for us I'm almost certain Houli will leave now, if he doesn't then Houli's either stupid or very very loyal.

Just my opinion but I'm over the whole thing now after two years of pleading Houli's case every week. Best of luck for the future Bach.

He doesn't need to be BOG. He just needs to put in second efforts and go at the ball. Simple things you'd expect from someone who wants to be a permanant midfielder.

Dempsey's not a midfielder, and I doubt we've had anyone in and out of the side more this year than Prismall.

I think that you are having a bit each way.

All players regardless of their position need a CONSISTENT attack on the ball.

Not only midfielders.

No doubt. But given the role Bachar would play, it's even more important for him. And if he can't stop doing that lazy, selfish shit at a time like now, when his careers on the line, then when the hell is he going to?

Come to Hawthorn Bachar, we'll look after you ;)

Pretty poor by the Match Committee and Matthew dropping this kid after one bad game :thumbsdown:

Melksham, Coyler, Gumbleton and many others before them have played many bad games but they are not dropped. Houli deserves at least the same treatment. It is clear as day that MK doesn't like Bachar or doesn't value his talent.

Re: The 'Keep Houli at Essendon' thread.

Definitely should keep Houli at Essendon, too much potential to let go... Knights hasnt played him consistently enough for Houli to develop the game sense and awareness required on the big stage. The fundamentals are all there, just needs games into him over a consistent period... and for those who say he looks lost under pressure, what do you expect for a kid who doesnt get more than 2 weeks in a row on the big stage... He has been poorly managed and developed.. The problem is in the management here, not the kid..

Stick with him, persist and he will pay dividends..
I don't think the problem is that he can't do what's required. Heck, he did it pretty well v North and was a standout v St K. Then back to bad habits.
His problem is maintaining it.
If he needs that selection pressure in the back of his mind to keep him on the straight & narrow, I'm all for him being in and out of the side.
The risk with Houli IMHO is that he gets given a free ride because he's a nice kick & ends up turning into Jordy McMahon.

The reward to treating him mean is keeping him keen for the contest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Merged Houli Threads

Remove this Banner Ad

Back