Michael mitchell amazing spekky on ch2 just then

Remove this Banner Ad

Absolute highlight was Coloured Stone and Rob Hirst. ****en awesome.
:thumbsu: :thumbsu: :thumbsu: :thumbsu: :thumbsu:

Probably not out of line to say he was just about the most amazing player to pull a Richmond jumper on.

Not the best or most consistant etc but geez he could do some bullshit things!
Played in the wrong era and if not for injuries who knows?

I was in Perth for the 1985 Sandover. It was on TV, and they showed the Michael Mitchell mark almost on continuous loop over the evening. It was played for the best marks of the year, the highlights of the round, the best plays, and it was used for the play-out and play-in from ad breaks. I reckon I saw it 25-30 times that night.

And it just kept getting better and better. It's a level above any other mark I've seen.

Clearly the best mark ever. And the goal would have to be among the greatest ever as well. Mitchell was pretty much the only thing to get excited about as a Richmond supporter at the time.

... and fantastic to see him appear on the Marngrook Footy Show donning the Richmond tie and promoting our jumper.

Even though he wouldn't have experienced to many memorable wins for us, and he lives in WA, he is still a proud Tiger.

At the risk of sounding dull, one of my most vivid members of MM was a game out at Waverley (I think) against the Hawks, when Michael Tuck ran him down from about 30m away as he was streaming into the F50. Tuck was only about 55yo at the time. Probably remember it since it was so symbolic of our fortunes back then. Sad I know :(

He took another really good specky for Claremont with his brother Kevin in picture (pretty good talent in that family) - also who could forget Mitch's mark of the year grab against Fitzroy - he seemed to defy gravity !!!

At the risk of sounding dull, one of my most vivid members of MM was a game out at Waverley (I think) against the Hawks, when Michael Tuck ran him down from about 30m away as he was streaming into the F50. Tuck was only about 55yo at the time. Probably remember it since it was so symbolic of our fortunes back then. Sad I know :(

Are you sure its not Trent Nicholls at the MCG?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another Michael Mitchell memory was his BOG v Carlton in a rare win in 1990 in the mud. I have it on video. Allan McKellar came on late wearing cement boots. Caught holding the ball after 3 seconds on the ground. Honybun kicked a bag! Matty Knights shat on Craig Bradley and Bradley attempted to kick him about 3 times!

The goal wasn't the worst I've seen either.

Very clearly remember watching it live and turning to a mate and saying '**** I wish he'd tuck the ball under his arm and back his ability more often!'

Freakish footballer, incredible talent, but seldom took the game by the scruff of the neck like he was capable of, very similar VFL career to what Wells has had in the AFL.

The mark and goal are both gems, cheers mitch. :thumbsu:

Hmm, I hope not, since that would be totally embarrassing :eek:

I was pretty sure it was MM, since it came straight to my mind when reading this thread. And I never really considered Trent to be overly fast. Whereas the idea of an old Tuck running down Mitchell was, well, like Fletcher running down Garlett the other week.

Anyway, I hope someone can clear this up, or it's gonna bug me. I will admit, my memory is pretty ordinary at the best of time, so I'm happy to be proven wrong.

Clearly the best mark ever. And the goal would have to be among the greatest ever as well. Mitchell was pretty much the only thing to get excited about as a Richmond supporter at the time.

...have to agree...said it before....greatest mark of all time!...

...and i am not biased...:p:D...

Forget your matt white, lids or tambling. I still reckon he's the fastest Richmond player I've ever seen.

Was definitely old man Tucky the hermit crab in his twilight years mate, remember it well.

I swear I saw the same look on Stokes' face tonight. :D

That is not the question - we know it was tuck but did he chase down Mitchell because i am 100% certain he chased down Trent Nicholls - maybe he did both.

Only player to receive goal of the year and mark of the year in the same season. The goal when he ran the length of the SCG was something.
And it shouldn't even have won goal of the week. It was the final round of the season, on a Sunday, and consequently was up against Daicos's reverse-banana against West Coast in a final the following Saturday. No one had ever kicked a goal like Daicos's at the time. It was a statement of absolute genius, while Mitchell's, as good as it was, was an under-12s run-and-goal. I remember watching the Daicos one on the replay that night and jumping to my feet and yelling my head off. There's one like that nearly every week now, but that was the original and the best.

Second - Peter Busustow did it in 1981
And both his mark and goal are contenders for the all-time titles. As much as I have always hated Carlton, I loved the Buzz. What a player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Michael mitchell amazing spekky on ch2 just then

Remove this Banner Ad

Back