Coach Michael Voss

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep.

Simplify it down. Draw out a map of the 50 for him.

Anything right of the goals within 35/40 he can snap.

Anything left of the goals or over 40 he must kick a drop punt.

Work out a routine for both.

Practice them. Lots. Then practice it again.

View attachment 1689152
You need to reduce the size of the green by about half.
It's not just the percentage chance of any specific shot, it's increasing the routine and the confidence in kicking a drop punt.

I wonder how we are training? I have always thought that you train your guts out in the off season and in season it becomes all about skills and maintenance. Are we flogging our guys too hard and burning them out mid week? IMO sometimes the coach will want to train a side hard after losing when sometimes the best thing is to focus on being fresh and honing in the skills. It's just that we look flat, run out of gas we, just has the look of a side who's either not doing enough or doing too much. Surely Russell is all over this and we are listening to the guy.
The pre-season reports were underwhelming.

The pre-season reports were underwhelming.

Fair point. In hindsight the signs were there. I watched videos of 3-4 training sessions and saw one live. Lots of bombing the ball, skill level pretty low, bad goal kicking, low use of the corridor. So pretty much what we are seeing in game.

I attended 3-4 Lions sessions and they were way more impressive.

I think we might have been in denial over preseason as we look for anything to get excited about and are quick to make excuses (skills are scrappy but it's preseason ect).

Yep.

View attachment 1689152
I've been thinking this since last year. The forward coach needs to sit down with him and agree on a plan together so he has some input and is comfortable with the zones. After that the decision is out of his hands and he has to follow it without any deviation. I would much rather see him miss with a drop punt outside the yellow area than see him hit the belly of the ball again trying an impossible snap from too far out.

Because collingwood have a list that played in a grandfinal in 2018 underpinned by a high functioning board and football department
That was 5 years ago. 5 years ago we had players from the previous 5 years beat Richmond in a elimination final. Sounds irrelevant doesn't it? So does the Collingwood final 5 years ago.

Fair point. In hindsight the signs were there. I watched videos of 3-4 training sessions and saw one live. Lots of bombing the ball, skill level pretty low, bad goal kicking, low use of the corridor. So pretty much what we are seeing in game.

I attended 3-4 Lions sessions and they were way more impressive.

I think we might have been in denial over preseason as we look for anything to get excited about and are quick to make excuses (skills are scrappy but it's preseason ect).
Also low energy from some reports.

Oh I’m sorry, I didn’t know I had to be all rainbows & sunshine because it’s a “welcome to” 😂
U might want to check out the other part of the heading
Does the Voss gloss still dazzle?
I just don’t understand how I & so many football pundits have got the second half so wrong. Nothing changed in how we played, it’s all just kicking straight

We really are very similiar to a golfer with the putting yips. They are professionally trained and coached to perform the skill to a high level, and they generally can. But when it goes, it can really go.

The misses by Harry, Motlop, Cripps and Walsh in the first half were akin to a golfer missing 2 foot putts. Each miss manifests the problem and it just carries on. They couldn't even kick the right side of the ball, it was that bad.

The second half we went from thinking "please don't 3 putt" to actually gritting our teeth and thinking "hole the bloody thing". It wasn't perfect but it was significantly better, including clutch kicks from Owies and Charlie to put us in front.

The second half we kicked 7.7. If we had gone at 50% in the first half (1.4 plus the 4 that missed completely) we would have won the game. Sometimes it is that simple.

Currently we have Voss + 9 assistant/development coaches...

Which raises some interesting questions
  • Are there to many peas in the pod and is the message getting lost in translation?
  • Are the players being over coached and becoming confused?
  • Are we over resourcing the wrong areas?
  • Would we be better getting less in number but higher quality coaches?
Personally I'd like us to attack Leppitch, Lappin & Mark Williams

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep.

View attachment 1689152
Still too lax imo, what you describe is kinda what he's doing already.

I'd have that zone where snapping is ok smaller, probably 2/3s of both angle and distance to what it is in the image. Bloke is still snapping when even marginally to the right of goal but still basically no angle to speak of, those ones have to be a drop punt every time. Likewise no more snaps from 35+ whatever the angle please, 30 absolute max.

Last edited:
I’m not sure it’s all doom and gloom as I keep reading the posts from the last three weeks.

Last year we had a game plan with all gloss but not substance to halt momentum swings.

Voss has corrected that with a slow pace methodology to stop these swings. It’s a hard watch I agree. Maybe a slight over correction but also playing into this is poor decision making and efficiency which has halted our improvement.

Last week against the bulldogs in the third quarter, slight adjustments to the game plan I.e talls playing further up the ground and smalls playing deeper, showed us glimpses of what could be. The smalls looked dangerous and we even got a joe the goose out the back goal.

From my viewpoint it’s not all gloom and doom but just the progress we have to wear until it clicks. Maybe Voss has more tricks like the 3rd qtr changes in stall but before we use these we need to have more control on tempo footy to be competitive week in week out.

Going to be a great watch over the remainder of the year to determine our progress not just for this year but hopefully for continued success.

We should implement the slower game plan to halt momentum swings to actually stop them if they are occurring; not be pre-emptively doing as our default from the first bounce.

I just hope someone from the club is reading these posts so that all of the opinions and detailed analysis doesn't go to waste :rolleyes:
psychiatrists, kicking coaches, coach coaches, change training, change game-plan, new forward coach with new plan, forwards to not take the ball unless it is directly in front, get cripps a heart, teach the basics, go back to the beginning, use advanced methods for everything, de-list 17 players, get people from other clubs, get rid of the board, get rid of mathieson, get rid of pokies, get rid of respect, get speed, move the ball quicker, better decision making, make finals, don't say ok if don't make finals, don't let cerra talk, don't talk about finals, look what the media are saying, don't listen to the media, we're too reactive to the media, we don't care about the media, voss should hose that down, train the way you play, play the same way to get a different result, einstein footy icon, misattribution to get a different result, use durdan in the middle, put weits up forward, walsh is finished, cripps running flat for a new coach, the woman who said no to lyon, the man who said peanuts, what happened to old carlton, drafting disasters, who to blame, blame is good, no more nourishment, footy.......

official-game-ball-of-the-afl-red.jpg

psychiatrists, kicking coaches, coach coaches, change training, change game-plan, new forward coach with new plan, forwards to not take the ball unless it is directly in front, get cripps a heart, teach the basics, go back to the beginning, use advanced methods for everything, de-list 17 players, get people from other clubs, get rid of the board, get rid of mathieson, get rid of pokies, get rid of respect, get speed, move the ball quicker, better decision making, make finals, don't say ok if don't make finals, don't let cerra talk, don't talk about finals, look what the media are saying, don't listen to the media, we're too reactive to the media, we don't care about the media, voss should hose that down, train the way you play, play the same way to get a different result, einstein footy icon, misattribution to get a different result, use durdan in the middle, put weits up forward, walsh is finished, cripps running flat for a new coach, the woman who said no to lyon, the man who said peanuts, what happened to old carlton, drafting disasters, who to blame, blame is good, no more nourishment, footy.......

Cookie says thanks!

Yellow smiley face with love hearts for eyes.

I was at the bears game and believe me Arrow to my eyes it certainly was a ****** debacle.

People enjoy an adjective to describe, what they believe is unseen

Lions seem like a strong side this year, so I don't see the lose as a debacle

Our style, execution, etc? Well, ineffective would likely suffice

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Michael Voss

Remove this Banner Ad

Back