Coach Michael Voss

Remove this Banner Ad

I fell like I agree 100% with this. But then again, we caught up in the 3rd against the Doggies and hit the front playing the opposite way. So at what point do you pull the trigger to change the game plan from one that's gotten us back in front, to defending the lead? All the commentators always say "it's too early to go into game saving mode" or whatever - "they've gotta keep playing the same way that got them back into this game".

So, when I think about it, the core issue in my opinion is that our defensive method has not been any good at all this year, in either style of play (vs Dogs 1st half & vs Dogs 2nd half being the two styles).

Some numbers might suggest otherwise, but it feels like we get scored against so easily from opposition kick-ins, and are picked apart on almost every oppostion F50 entry.

We had 29 inside 50's against the Dogs for 1 goal. If we kicked half decently I think we'd have never needed to mix things up so much against the Dogs.

Considering the Dogs never blew us away despite our abysmal conversion I think we did alright defensively. Honestly Adelaide and Brisbane are the only sides who have managed to really break us down defensively. We aren't doing too badly considering we are carrying Cripps who is struggling to run at the moment and our forward line is struggling to provide forward/scoreboard pressure.

I think our perception of Carlton's defense is skewed because sides operating at average efficiency going forward look bloody incredible compared to our output at the moment.

Last edited:
psychiatrists, kicking coaches, coach coaches, change training, change game-plan, new forward coach with new plan, forwards to not take the ball unless it is directly in front, get cripps a heart, teach the basics, go back to the beginning, use advanced methods for everything, de-list 17 players, get people from other clubs, get rid of the board, get rid of mathieson, get rid of pokies, get rid of respect, get speed, move the ball quicker, better decision making, make finals, don't say ok if don't make finals, don't let cerra talk, don't talk about finals, look what the media are saying, don't listen to the media, we're too reactive to the media, we don't care about the media, voss should hose that down, train the way you play, play the same way to get a different result, einstein footy icon, misattribution to get a different result, use durdan in the middle, put weits up forward, walsh is finished, cripps running flat for a new coach, the woman who said no to lyon, the man who said peanuts, what happened to old carlton, drafting disasters, who to blame, blame is good, no more nourishment, footy.......

official-game-ball-of-the-afl-red.jpg
What about …. Dow?

We had 29 inside 50's against the Dogs for 1 goal. If we kicked half decently I think we'd have never needed to mix things up so much against the Dogs.

Considering the Dogs never blew us away despite our abysmal conversion I think we did alright defensively. Honestly Adelaide and Brisbane are the only sides who have managed to really break us down defensively. We aren't doing too badly considering we are carrying Cripps who is struggling to run at the moment and our forward line is struggling to provide forward/scoreboard pressure.

I think our perception of Carlton's defense is skewed because sides operating at average efficiency going forward look bloody incredible compared to our output at the moment.

Yeah no doubt our dismal connection and resultant inability to apply scoreboard pressure is playing a major role in results.

I think we are broadly in agreement. To me the defensive phase of the game starts from the moment we lose possession and carries on until we regain it - and we've been bog average at this phase, due to our forwards and midfielders.

That said Weiters is down and Young has been inconsistent. I think we got a bit lucky the Dogs didn't kick straighter.

Last edited:

Yeah no doubt our dismal connection and resultant inability to apply scoreboard pressure is playing a major role in results.

I think we are in agreement - because to me the defensive phase of the game starts from the moment we lose possession and carries on until we retain it - and we've been bog average at this phase.
I like this bolded thing very much, yet I would go further still and say all attack starts in defence.

I fell like I agree 100% with this. But then again, we caught up in the 3rd against the Doggies and hit the front playing the opposite way. So at what point do you pull the trigger to change the game plan from one that's gotten us back in front, to defending the lead? All the commentators always say "it's too early to go into game saving mode" or whatever - "they've gotta keep playing the same way that got them back into this game".

So, when I think about it, the core issue in my opinion is that our defensive method has not been any good at all this year, in either style of play (vs Dogs 1st half & vs Dogs 2nd half being the two styles).

Some numbers might suggest otherwise, but it feels like we get scored against so easily from opposition kick-ins, and are picked apart on almost every oppostion F50 entry.

Everyone getting caught up on ball movement from our back half and forgetting we have the worst defensive set up at every opposition kick in. Our opponent strolls out of their half almost every time and ends up conjuring an attempt on goal. This is on Hamill for the most part….

I like this bolded thing very much, yet I would go further still and say all attack starts in defence.

And all defence in attack. It's a team sport and our team definitely hasn't found their mojo yet this year against the tougher sides.

It happens.

We need to support them, not boo them. They are all clearly putting in almost 100% almost every game. Yes, it sucks to lose, but the club are clearly trying to win. As clearly as we can see the system needs work (and they can too).

Results are rough and we aren't meeting our own lofty expectations, but we can't turn on Voss so easily. It's just so unfair - shameful even.

Everyone getting caught up on ball movement from our back half and forgetting we have the worst defensive set up at every opposition kick in. Our opponent strolls out of their half almost every time and ends up conjuring an attempt on goal. This is on Hamill for the most part….

Our kick ins are poor too. Lots going wrong with the system all over the park. Hope they can make some meaningful changes mid season to salvage the year.

I don't know who is responsible for what, so i'll back the club leadership under Cook to investigate and fix things once the season is finished.

Heads will not and should not roll any earlier than off season. Anything else is amateur hour and we need to be better to attract long term top talent.

Unless someone totally and blatantly goes troppo then they are here until the end of year, at which time the club reviews the season that was, and takes action on the identified issues.

Our backline coach is the most responsible for our set ups at opposition kick-ins?

I don’t disagree opposition teams seem to get the ball out from when we kick a behind far too easily but I would have thought that’s on the forward coach how we defend an opposition kick in.

Michael Voss will return this Club to it’s former glory. All he need’s is a couple former team mates with him. Not the blokes with him at the mo.
Possibly true. His assistants are not great.

I cant understand how in 2021, we selected assistants with no Head Coach contribution.

Hamill for Barker... i mean both long term assistants in unsuccessful systems.

Hansen, rated in r2 last year, but is he still in charge of fwd line, if so, its deplorable in terms of structure and connection. The smalls in particular.

I agree Voss needs help in the box, but I dont understand the decision making of 2021

Sent from my SM-N981B using Tapatalk

Possibly true. His assistants are not great.

I cant understand how in 2021, we selected assistants with no Head Coach contribution.

Hamill for Barker... i mean both long term assistants in unsuccessful systems.

Hansen, rated in r2 last year, but is he still in charge of fwd line, if so, its deplorable in terms of structure and connection. The smalls in particular.

I agree Voss needs help in the box, but I dont understand the decision making of 2021

Sent from my SM-N981B using Tapatalk

What is there not to understand about 2021?

Where we instituted a review that was solely designed to sack the coach, his assistants and the CEO. Then left said coach and CEO hanging like dead men while we shot for the stars in Clarkson, missed him, then missed Lyon and Scott (and, reportedly, Buckley) and finished up combing the catacombs for the only coach that fitted our "experienced" criteria despite the fact that he'd been overlooked multiple times.

Meanwhile having put our CEO on the coaching selection panel we proceeded to throw bucketloads at a retiring guru to replace him, forcing him to fall on his own sword.

Oh.. and we replaced a egend football director who had been rarely heard from with another legend football director who we (or at least I) also rarely hear from and stacked the Board with what seemed to be allies of the President.

Whilst I still think it's too early to call all this a failure it isn't exactly looming as a resounding success at present.

I thought at the time it was just the same Carlton crap with different faces and I've seen little that sways me away from that opinion.

What is there not to understand about 2021?

Where we instituted a review that was solely designed to sack the coach, his assistants and the CEO. Then left said coach and CEO hanging like dead men while we shot for the stars in Clarkson, missed him, then missed Lyon and Scott (and, reportedly, Buckley) and finished up combing the catacombs for the only coach that fitted our "experienced" criteria despite the fact that he'd been overlooked multiple times.

Meanwhile having put our CEO on the coaching selection panel we proceeded to throw bucketloads at a retiring guru to replace him, forcing him to fall on his own sword.

Oh.. and we replaced a egend football director who had been rarely heard from with another legend football director who we (or at least I) also rarely hear from and stacked the Board with what seemed to be allies of the President.

Whilst I still think it's too early to call all this a failure it isn't exactly looming as a resounding success at present.

I thought at the time it was just the same Carlton crap with different faces and I've seen little that sways me away from that opinion.

Not too sure what this is about, not a fan of dance music but if referencing the dead men hanging quote I'd have much more appreciated something like "down among the dead men".

On this song...a local radio station used to have a business request segment and one of my workmates rang in saying he was George from a local funeral parlor and requested....you guessed it,,,"Down among the dead men".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not too sure what this is about, not a fan of dance music but if referencing the dead men hanging quote I'd have much more appreciated something like "down among the dead men".

On this song...a local radio station used to have a business request segment and one of my workmates rang in saying he was George from a local funeral parlor and requested....you guessed it,,,"Down among the dead men".
It was about your spin on the review. Masterclass in misdirection.

Liked down among the dead men

It was about your spin on the review. Masterclass in misdirection.

Liked down among the dead men

Well...you know what they say about opinions but I'd say they shouldn't be confused with spin. That's what we've been getting for 20 years and it's no slower now than it ever was.

When we lock in a flag, or even a top four finish, in the next two years I'll be the first on here to say I was wwwrong but until then I'll post said opinions as I see fit without fear or favour.

Yeah good song.

Judd is one of greatest players ever but he's a chris judd guy first and foremost, not a carlton guy.

He certainly wasn't present, wasn't prioritising the club over his own social life or engaging with the players.

You may not hear from Williams much and his metal issues are concerning given the role he is in but he is often in the training pictures, talking with players, talking with coaches and being an everyday conduit between the board and the team.

Judd is one of greatest players ever but he's a chris judd guy first and foremost, not a carlton guy.

He certainly wasn't present, wasn't prioritising the club over his own social life or engaging with the players.

You may not hear from Williams much and his metal issues are concerning given the role he is in but he is often in the training pictures, talking with players, talking with coaches and being an everyday conduit between the board and the team.
You see Diesel on the training track helping out, in the rooms after games. You never saw Juddy do either, he was a champion player but a poor administrator for us. Rumors I heard were that it was all about the business networking for him.

<in my opinion> For some reason our coaches are too scared to upset anyone, and don't hold highly "rated" players accountable.

There is no consequences for poor habits.

i don't necessarily think Voss is to blame (if playing the blame game). Too much not trying to offend anyone at Carlton and this has been going on longer than Vossy's tenure.

Tough to set standards when the club has shown it will let the players not only sack a head coach but pick the successor - this goes back to the end of Pagan and our current leaders have learned from the "best"

Last edited:

Have no concerns about this at all. Still one of the sharpest football minds going around and a great nose for business and networking.

I believe he has been working on the inside to outside hand balling, something we haven’t been doing well. These short ‘gives’ to stationary players is giving the opposition the opportunity to collapse on our ball carriers and causing a slow or rushed release. Skip the short option and send a longer handball ‘G. Williams style’….

Well...you know what they say about opinions but I'd say they shouldn't be confused with spin. That's what we've been getting for 20 years and it's no slower now than it ever was.

When we lock in a flag, or even a top four finish, in the next two years I'll be the first on here to say I was wwwrong but until then I'll post said opinions as I see fit without fear or favour.

Yeah good song.
Shock, horror - opinion posted in return. I can also post without fear or favour.

You wanted to keep Teague, the assistants, CEO and footy director?

The Ian Prendercast guys came up with a good point this week, the R11 game when Weiters went down was a turning point for our style of play.

It’s like we were spooked, we’d be scored against too easily, which was kind of weird when we almost won that game even without Weiters.

Thinking further ahead from that game, we had a fairly uninspired win v Essendon and lost to the tigers, then beat the dockers with the slower defensive style which seemingly has given Voss and the MC their template of how they want us to play all the time.

The balance is totally out, seems a bizarre strategy to want to defend from the off, then only attack when it looks like all is lost. I think it’s a mindset thing as well, we are currently playing not to lose, instead of playing to win.
This is our issue in a nutshell … not much will change until this shifts …

You see Diesel on the training track helping out, in the rooms after games. You never saw Juddy do either, he was a champion player but a poor administrator for us. Rumors I heard were that it was all about the business networking for him.

Diesel having a kick with the players doesn’t make him a good administrator.

Conversely, Judd not doing that doesn’t make him a poor one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Michael Voss

Remove this Banner Ad

Back