Coach Michael Voss

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey just a shout out to all the Clarko fans - how's Clarko looking now? Maybe another bullet dodged by Carlton?

There’s nothing particularly funny about this situation or smart about this comment.

Clarkson has been an excellent coach - arguably the best our game has ever seen.

He was wanted by many, as he earned the right to be. We went in a different direction.

Let’s leave it at that.

Might have done a full circle and ended up with Ratts.

Ratts would have been a great coaching choice for us, to be honest.

Had a win % of 50% or higher in both of his coaching stints, even when you factor in that he took over as caretaker coach in rebuilding sides both times. As a coach he was an innovator who built around the players he had: in his first stint with us he really had us sizzling with the Betts/Garlett/Walker/Armfield small forward line-up that paved the way for Hawthorn's 'tough mids and outside runners' and then Richmond's 'scramble-ball' systems. He was also respected by the players and a good motivator (if anything the criticism was that he was too much a fan on the sidelines, but at least he was invested... unlike the checked out, deer in the headlights vibe Voss gives off on match day).

He's experienced enough to ride the bumps and waves a bit more (even compared to Vossy who had one stint and then a long stint out of the gun). He's also a Carlton man, who understands the club and how it ticks, but has been away enough to bring something back to the program.

And, to be blunt, he's the only coach in two decades who has taken Carlton to the top 8. He did so three times. Pagan, Malthouse, Voss, and a bevy of others, could only manage one finals campaign combined (and that took the Essendon drugs penalty to even get there...)

Pity in hindsight that Ratten wasn't available when we appointed Voss. I think had St Kilda moved him on earlier, and he been interested, he would have been a very strong candidate.

Had a win % of 50% or higher in both of his coaching stints, even when you factor in that he took over as caretaker coach in rebuilding sides both times. As a coach he was an innovator who built around the players he had: in his first stint with us he really had us sizzling with the Betts/Garlett/Walker/Armfield small forward line-up that paved the way for Hawthorn's 'tough mids and outside runners' and then Richmond's 'scramble-ball' systems. He was also respected by the players and a good motivator (if anything the criticism was that he was too much a fan on the sidelines, but at least he was invested... unlike the checked out, deer in the headlights vibe Voss gives off on match day).

He's experienced enough to ride the bumps and waves a bit more (even compared to Vossy who had one stint and then a long stint out of the gun). He's also a Carlton man, who understands the club and how it ticks, but has been away enough to bring something back to the program.

And, to be blunt, he's the only coach in two decades who has taken Carlton to the top 8. He did so three times. Pagan, Malthouse, Voss, and a bevy of others, could only manage one finals campaign combined (and that took the Essendon drugs penalty to even get there...)

Pity in hindsight that Ratten wasn't available when we appointed Voss. I think had St Kilda moved him on earlier, and he been interested, he would have been a very strong candidate.
Would be great if we can bring him home.

He’d easily have a good impact with all the experience at hawks in particular and also as head coach at ainters.

He probably wouldn’t do it but a role like Chocco at Dee’s would be good for players and Vossy.

Diesel having a kick with the players doesn’t make him a good administrator.

Conversely, Judd not doing that doesn’t make him a poor one.
No but failing to attend the club regularly, not doing the work required of the role on top while prioritising media commitments sure makes a poor administrator.

I don't know anything about Williams in his role but what the club and media release, I've heard quite a bit about Judd and it's not impressive.

Shock, horror - opinion posted in return. I can also post without fear or favour.

You wanted to keep Teague, the assistants, CEO and footy director?

Couldn't give a rats about the CEO and footy director, but yeah I'm on record as saying I wanted to see Teague finish his contract as I have for the last 5 coaches other than MM.

But my main concern was not that it was done but the extremely unprofessional manner in which it was.

Incidentally, with this new and improved regime in place we have won just half a game more in the last 21 rounds than Teague in his last 21 and we now have no covid restricted hubs, a functioning VFL team and there's no axe hanging over anyone's head..

But that's progress I guess.

Would be great if we can bring him home.

He’d easily have a good impact with all the experience at hawks in particular and also as head coach at ainters.

He probably wouldn’t do it but a role like Chocco at Dee’s would be good for players and Vossy.
Quality midfield/stoppages coach & has incredible footy brain, assistant/line coach role is his sweet spot, gut feeling just can’t see him coming back home…

There’s nothing particularly funny about this situation or smart about this comment.

Clarkson has been an excellent coach - arguably the best our game has ever seen.

He was wanted by many, as he earned the right to be. We went in a different direction.

Let’s leave it at that.

Nothing 'funny' about the Clarkson's situation - agreed- but my post wasn't comedic.
Nothing funny to me either regarding the background to the Lyon non-appointment- but then again I respect women and am happy to support a Club that champions these causes.

My opinion is that the Club did very well in avoiding both - if you have a different opinion you are welcome to argue it.

Honestly Adelaide and Brisbane are the only sides who have managed to really break us down defensively.
I'd throw the Saints game in there, the final scores really didn't tell the story in that match - it was a complete system breakdown across all lines. In fact I'd say the Saints game was even worse than the Brisbane game.

I'd throw the Saints game in there, the final scores really didn't tell the story in that match - it was a complete system breakdown across all lines. In fact I'd say the Saints game was even worse than the Brisbane game.

Felt like the Saints gave us all the opportunities in the world to bury them. Our break down in that game was predictable but we were doing unspeakable things with the ball.

So it's hard for me to single out our team defence that game when we just looked crap at footy in general. SoS missed from the goal square and Mckay was providing more scoreboard pressure for St Kilda than Carlton. His snap shot on goal that touched the roof and started the perfect rebound opportunity for St Kilda to score off....no system can operate around that.

Nothing 'funny' about the Clarkson's situation - agreed- but my post wasn't comedic.
Nothing funny to me either regarding the background to the Lyon non-appointment- but then again I respect women and am happy to support a Club that champions these causes.

My opinion is that the Club did very well in avoiding both - if you have a different opinion you are welcome to argue it.

Clarkson's personal situation aside I am glad we avoided another MM situation.

Proven coach who is dealing with his old baggage is a good script for hollywood....but not for us.

Tbh I'd love Ratts as a midfield coach. Hawks certainly appreciated him in that role.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep we had chances early, but the Saints gradually clogged up the game and we completely broke down and had absolutely no plan B. I was up in the cheap seats for this game and it provided great (awful) insight into how systematically beaten we were.

From what little the tv shows you it just looked like Saints coasted/clogged it up after we gave them a comfortable lead. At one point I think we conceded about 60 metres instead of trying to play through their press...

Wish we made them sweat a bit more.

Don’t think you can give the club ‘credit’ for this one. We were absolutely all in on Clarko despite any perceived issues. We got lucky he turned us down, in hindsight.

Nothing but sheer luck.

Don’t think you can give the club ‘credit’ for this one. We were absolutely all in on Clarko despite any perceived issues. We got lucky he turned us down, in hindsight.

Nothing but sheer luck.

So basically we successfully failed in regards to Clarkson?

Luck or not it still worked out well for the club.

May as well enjoy the small victories since we certainly feel the losses.

No but failing to attend the club regularly, not doing the work required of the role on top while prioritising media commitments sure makes a poor administrator.

I don't know anything about Williams in his role but what the club and media release, I've heard quite a bit about Judd and it's not impressive.

How do we know the frequency with which Judd and others attended the club?

Chris Judd investment, jaggad, various media roles with MMM, nine and the age were all priorities over his football directorship, according to what I heard.

As I said, know nothing about the current situation other than public info.

Yep we had chances early, but the Saints gradually clogged up the game and we completely broke down and had absolutely no plan B. I was up in the cheap seats for this game and it provided great (awful) insight into how systematically beaten we were.
Same here. Saints system completely nullified ours and Voss had no idea how to stop it.

Shock, horror - opinion posted in return. I can also post without fear or favour.

You wanted to keep Teague, the assistants, CEO and footy director?
What exactly do you disagree with NewDarkNavyBlues ?

Its actually in the annual report. 2020 and 2019 seem to have been taken off the internet but 2021 extract below:

1684409746771.png

8 meetings held whilst he was Director and he attended.....3. One more than our 79 year old director.

Chris Judd investment, jaggad, various media roles with MMM, nine and the age were all priorities over his football directorship, according to what I heard.

As I said, know nothing about the current situation other than public info.

Decided to check for articles since I found it odd to hear about Judd of all people been unprofessional.

4 kids, left MMM and Nine too. I doubt many excuses hold up better than having four kids to look after.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Michael Voss

Remove this Banner Ad

Back