Coach Michael Voss

Remove this Banner Ad

Feel like we've been here before. I think we know how the next few weeks play out.

If we remove Voss the board that appointed him need to have a broom put through them too.

Club needs a massive overhaul.

New head of footy. Bye Brad Llyod.

Bolton, Teague and Voss didn't have the clout to attract and bring great assistants.

Get Dimma. Assistant coaches will want to be part of his team.

We need a culture overhaul through the club.

Feel like we've been here before. I think we know how the next few weeks play out.

If we remove Voss the board that appointed him need to have a broom put through them too.

Bolton, Teague and Voss didn't have the clout to attract and bring great assistants.

Nah. Just need a win then another. Simple stuff.

And supporters need to stop whining frankly.
This place is like christmas morning when a kid doesnt like the presents they get.

I think folks get so caught up in the narrative of anger that all sanity dissapears.

OR has hit the nail on the head. We need to create an environment for a senior coach to thrive, whether that be Voss or someone else. We need a football department rowing in the same direction with capable personnel to support the coach. The head of football is responsible for creating this environment. Brad Lloyd has failed at this and his time is up. He got 2 ‘extra’ years after he should have gone post 2021 review. He’s bottled those 2 years like the previous 3.

Voss has himself to blame to be honest … keeps playing the same players week in week out and you will get the same result …… guy has coached before , has been an assistant before under a very good coach but needs more help ..last year was the injuries , now it’s the assistants what’s next !! In a way I’m glad we will have a few out this week so voss is forced to do something dif …

The ugly misses exacerbate things but the coach has us bringing the ball slowly up the boundary giving he opposition time to get back and fill up the space in front of goal and forcing us to find targets very wide in the forward line. We take and miss a ridiculous amount of shots at goal from the boundary.

For example in the Saints v Power game both teams were actively avoiding taking shots on goal from anywhere but directly in front of goal. The Saints were centering the ball from 60-70 out almost every entry until late in the game so even their inside 50s were from directly in front.

In these instances it is in large part game plan and coaching related.

Teams are using systems to get large numbers around the area of the ground they want to set up from and force turnovers then link up through handballs to set up play, running or kicking their way up the field once they’re out in the open. Our coach believes it’s just a case of not making the most of our opportunities, as in slowing up play and kicking to contests or taking shots from the boundary is fine if it works every time.

He’s been given two Coleman medallists in the forward line. Cripps, Walsh, Cerra and a very able support case in the midfield. Weitering, Saad, Docherty in defence and he can’t come up with a system that can beat Sydney who barely scraped home against North Melbourne last week.

I’d like us to go with a fresh coach whose ideas will reflect what’s actually going on in the modern game. Let’s look for the next great coach. There are plenty out there who are itching to get a senior gig and would love to have a go at making our talent work.

Hardwick to oversee everything, not sure his heart is currently in it for a full time gig but he would be an asset.
Cook to convince Selwood (or any respected Cat) to come across and focus on building great culture and driving standards.
Change up the assistants, must have played or coached in successful environments before.

You know Voss has and would have been a great assistant coach in a set up like the above. I don’t think he’s up to sitting in the hot seat. A shame.

The ugly misses exacerbate things but the coach has us bringing the ball slowly up the boundary giving he opposition time to get back and fill up the space in front of goal and forcing us to find targets very wide in the forward line. We take and miss a ridiculous amount of shots at goal from the boundary.

For example in the Saints v Power game both teams were actively avoiding taking shots on goal from anywhere but directly in front of goal. The Saints were centering the ball from 60-70 out almost every entry until late in the game so even their inside 50s were from directly in front.

In these instances it is in large part game plan and coaching related.

Teams are using systems to get large numbers around the area of the ground they want to set up from and force turnovers then link up through handballs to set up play, running or kicking their way up the field once they’re out in the open. Our coach believes it’s just a case of not making the most of our opportunities, as in slowing up play and kicking to contests or taking shots from the boundary is fine if it works every time.

He’s been given two Coleman medallists in the forward line. Cripps, Walsh, Cerra and a very able support case in the midfield. Weitering, Saad, Docherty in defence and he can’t come up with a system that can beat Sydney who barely scraped home against North Melbourne last week.
Excellent summary as much as our goalkicking is poor, our overall system & game plan is awful, the Voss focus has defence has taken away all the flair & want to take risks eg Collingwood etc, the inability of dropping out of form players has been a farce & equally so the treatment of Dow has set a poor example to the playing group, creating different standards & rules for player selection.

Unfortunately we are not in a healthy position & body language of the group looks shot right now, very sad as the list is capable of much more than this rubbish right now.

Drums are beating. Lots of disharmony at senior levels.

It’s rarely, if ever, only the senior coach‘s fault, however, it is always the senior coach who cops it.

Rather than simply exiting Voss, the club needs to ask did it ever set him up for success? (Refer to assistant coaches and off field structure…)

If Voss is sacked, rather than another rinse and repeat, significant structural changes need to occur. Alternatively, and rather novelly, they could keep Voss and provide him with the appropriate support, i.e. not Hamill & Clarke for a start…..
I’m in the keep Voss group, but this must be on the proviso that the club is aware of the underlying issues, whether it’s assistance, administrators, players or coach and only then makes the right call(s). Cook is now well and truly on the map.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's hard though - lots of those coaches that were stuck with 'thriugh hard periods' still had incremental improvements in each year provable by ladder position win number and percentage improvements. Dimma, Clarkson, even Goodwin improved two years in a row on what had been dished up by previous coaches before having a dip year. There was proof the 'coaches that were persevered with' were improving a playing group both individually and how they played as a team.

Voss has not very long left to show he's improved this team in anyway since he took over. As far as I can tell most players are worse, all their fundamentals are through the floor and slipping worse and only genuine superstars are somewhat resisting this errosion of talent.... Somewhat. If you stick with Voss. What are you even sticking with at this stage? He's not showing anything in the way of improvement which is highly concerning. You stick with people who show improvement... As They're still improving. You cut bait with people who aren't improving. Voss has to show improvement for the rest of the season. Don't think he can survive the end of year review that says this team's worse than it was under Teague and worse than it was offensively under Bolton. With bigger stronger more experienced and more talented bodies.
Voss was brought in, from perception of underperformed list under teague. The club went on the record with this.

Finals aside, needed to show improvement. Particularly outside of the "stars".

We are seeing regression across the board with exception of Cerra and Charlie C

Sent from my SM-N981B using Tapatalk

At the moment I'm in favour of keeping Voss for next year, but cleaning out a lot of people around him (assistants, board members, etc.) Try to attract better off-field talent (which will be tough considering our track record) and give Voss the support he needs. If we're still playing poorly next year, then pull the trigger on Voss. We need to prioritise speed and skill at the draft/trade table and focus less on contested players, and endurance runners.

The most frustrating thing about his coaching, is how little he changes during a game. For example our small forwards are struggling, so why not give them bursts in the middle to get their hands in the ball, all other clubs do it. Also Kennedy wouldn’t hist best role be playing that diusty, DeGoey, stringer role as a mid / forward. To add some pace and better kicking wouldn’t you consider at times giving, Saad or Boyd a burst in the guts. We have no lead up forwards, we just put our two keys deep next to each other and the obvious direction to to bomb it to them. Why is our forward line always so crowded yet others have open forward lines. It is so easy to coach against. Change it up for god sake!

We need to stick fat with Vossy IMO. He’s got enough attributes to be a good coach. Develop him like Richmond developed Dimma. What we need is better support around him. Vossy’s job is to be a leader. Keep the boys calm and focused. We know he’s a great leader.
If tactics is not a strength then we need to supplement him with those skills with great assistant coaches. The best fitness staff. And list management who can accurately assess the profile of the list.
Vossy is not the scapegoat. It has to be Brad Lloyd

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Brad Lloyd and Austin.

Both must go. Particularly if the discussed salary cap issues are verified.

We have many players with high value long term deals. Creates complacency in the group and additional to this, traded out 2yrs of draft capital to get Saad, Cerra.

Williams a free swing, but 7yrs for back flanker...who had 1 good game as a mid?

Austin inherited the SOS war chest so to speak. Its worth the scrutiny.

The additions and deals were meant to lock away our rise to at least consistent top8, not see us bottom6 in 2023.

Voss aside, how do we get better, whoever is coach...

Sent from my SM-N981B using Tapatalk

The idea of keeping Voss and surrounding him with 'quality assistants', improving the footy dept etc is sound until you consider the consequences if this also fails. What then? New coach with existing assistants? As much as I want Voss to succeed, barring a complete turnaround in onfield performance by the team, he's out the door, with a complete coaching restructure and list cleanout to follow.

I didn't have a problem with Voss' press conferemce. He was clear to the point and did not shirk issues. I don't buy he is not instilling a modern plan. I thought we tried to take the corridoor with the risky kick. I just don't think the list has the quality to play modern football or the onfield leadership to maintain standards

GET HARDWICK

On CPH2135 using BigFooty.com mobile app
To do what?

Rock backward and forward in the corner ?

You don’t hire a guy suffering burnout for anything and you certainly don’t talk them into anything.
They have no idea when they’ll recover, Could be 3 months could be 5 years.

He’d burst into flames
Self Destruct Captainscarlet GIF by GerryAndersonTV

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Michael Voss

Remove this Banner Ad

Back