Coach Michael Voss

Remove this Banner Ad

Plenty of conspiracies and innuendos start to surface during lean patches

Balanced analysis of Voss/gameplan is certainly debate worthy, but the competency of our assistants? Comical

Not one single side has maintained consistent form during the course of the season
Yes even West Coast have played well on occasion 😂

God some of the dross in here is funny. Where were the discussions about how bad our coaches are when we flogged Geelong by 63 at full strength and looked like we were the only team that would be able to give Sydney a challenge?

Is Sydney poorly coached because they've got a form slump?

We're the Cats poorly coached when they were in their form slump?

Laughable stuff in here

Who said we were poorly coached?

I’m also a believer in the more the data the better the assessment so the game against Cats can now be weighed against last 4 weeks thus giving a different or adjusted conclusion.

That’s my take

PS not a crack at you Walshy but a few on here continually make broad accusations without reference or evidence and that’s poor

Last edited:

I often think footy has become over complicated. You hear it in the press conferences from players and coaches alike.
The most successful teams of recent have had quite simple structures and game plans which identify the strengths of a list and implement a plan aligned to those strengths … easy to instruct, easy to understand, easy to replicate at VFL level.
Maybe we’ve been looking too closely at the stats/data and having that guide our thinking.

God some of the dross in here is funny. Where were the discussions about how bad our coaches are when we flogged Geelong by 63 at full strength and looked like we were the only team that would be able to give Sydney a challenge?

Laughable stuff in here
it is the usual bunch of bananas hanging off a tree - I shouldn't get so itchy and scratchy about it pays them far too much respect.

Laughable stuff in here

Only surfaces in a form slump, so called analysis, and negatively weighted rhetorical questions

Most intriguing are the assessments of our assistants

I often think footy has become over complicated. You hear it in the press conferences from players and coaches alike.
The most successful teams of recent have had quite simple structures and game plans which identify the strengths of a list and implement a plan aligned to those strengths … easy to instruct, easy to understand, easy to replicate at VFL level.
This.
When we were in great form we had high pressure ratings, and we were doing the basics well, taking first options etc.
Then we start to be cute, and our pressure drops off, and we look hopeless.
Maybe we’ve been looking too closely at the stats/data and having that guide our thinking.
It seemed more like some selection experimentation, and then some injuries which exacerbated the mistakes, along with some individual form and overall pressure dropping.
I doubt it was the coaches trying to change the game style.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not the talented list?
plenty of talented lists in their prime in the comp every year that don't win. 4-6 of them every season. Plenty of good coaches that don't win. It's not that simple. Discrediting heavily the other areas hawthorn and Richmond dominated in. Building the right environment that could build those lists and develop players. Develop and stick fat to a game plan that maintained buy in and importantly played to the strengths of the list. Moreso than the strength of the list pulling up the game plan. They have consistently strong strength and fitness programs and powerful footy departments.

After all the tigers list was not in fact the best across those years. But the pound for pound extraction of potential was streets better than possibly any team since maybe Brisbane in 03 era.

The over simplification is misleading.

plenty of talented lists in their prime in the comp every year that don't win. 4-6 of them every season. Plenty of good coaches that don't win. It's not that simple. Discrediting heavily the other areas hawthorn and Richmond dominated in. Building the right environment that could build those lists and develop players. Develop and stick fat to a game plan that maintained buy in and importantly played to the strengths of the list. Moreso than the strength of the list pulling up the game plan. They have consistently strong strength and fitness programs and powerful footy departments.

After all the tigers list was not in fact the best across those years. But the pound for pound extraction of potential was streets better than possibly any team since maybe Brisbane in 03 era.

All absolutely lid, but you still need a talented list in their prime

Will be interesting to see what North and the Suns achieve in coming years

Well summed up. This is also my observation.
And I still shake my head at how the Tigers were able to win 3 flags with the players they had.

They didn't have many elite skilled players, but they were VERY well drilled, had a very good understanding their roles within the gameplan - which they all bought into, had an excellent awareness of where their teammates would be (running in support), and had absolute faith in a very demanding Coach.

A perfect example of playing as a team and understanding the limits of the list.

Well summed up. This is also my observation.
And I still shake my head at how the Tigers were able to win 3 flags with the players they had.

They didn't have many elite skilled players, but they were VERY well drilled, had a very good understanding their roles within the gameplan - which they all bought into, had an excellent awareness of where their teammates would be (running in support), and had absolute faith in a very demanding Coach.

A perfect example of playing as a team and understanding the limits of the list.
Don't forget their extraordinary, some might say superhuman, uncannily lucky run with injuries...

Good summation and IMO correct :thumbsu:

I don't believe that the Pies had the most 'talented" list in the AFL last year BUT I do believe McRae, Leppistch, Bolton etc extracted the absolute most out of them.

My question is are we getting the BEST out of our list?

This is why I believe we need to look at ways of improving everything we do and questions are rightly asked on roles and responsibilities within the club. In a club to win flags everything needs to be working at it's optimum. I believe Cook is doing that and is certainly not satisfied as to where we sit

Some people seem to think that asking questions is a negative. I don't. I see it as looking to get better.

We are doing well. Club is in a great spot and better than it's been in decades. However, we haven't achieved anyting yet and MUST keep improving. To bridge the gap between 4th and 1st is in many ways harder than going from 12th to 4th. As in any top organisation you need to challenge, constantly review and get better especially when it's such a fine line between success & failure in this game.

I believe that is what many on here are asking and IMO rightly so

Last edited:
Good summation and IMO correct :thumbsu:

I don't believe that the Pies had the most 'talented" list in the AFL last year BUT I do believe McRae, Leppistch, Bolton etc extracted the absolute most out of them.

This is why I believe we need to look at ways of improving everything we do and questions are rightly asked on roles and responsibilities within the club. In a club to win flags everything needs to be working at it's optimum. I believe Cook is doing that and is certainly not satisfied as to where we sit

Some people seem to think that asking questions is a negative. I don't. I see it as looking to get better.

We are doing well. Club is in a great spot and better than it's been in decades. However, we haven't achieved anyting yet and MUST keep improving. To bridge the gap between 4th and 1st is in many ways harder than going from 12th to 4th. As in any top organisation you need to challenge, constantly review and get better especially when it's such a fine line between success & failure in this game.

I believe that is what many on here are asking and IMO rightly so
that's been my whole issue, can he get them where they need to go. he keeps wanting consistency but we still haven't got that

that's been my whole issue, can he get them where they need to go. he keeps wanting consistency but we still haven't got that

and questions or comments are fair.

Some people seem to think that asking questions of our coaches and wanting improvement (and providing possible options) is wanting them sacked or an overreaction. I don't agree and I have not seen ONE person here wanting Voss sacked

We had a great 2023 and did well to get to the PF. Come 2024 what changes have yielded an improvement:

Elijah - Yes
Fantasia - No
Harry’s goal kicking - Yes
Loss of Doc, Martin, SoS - No
Cerra - No on form and availability.
TDK, Saad, McG - out for extended period.
Cinc - Yes

I’ve only listed a few, but my point is I think on balance we are worse off personnel wise compared to last season and that Voss and Co. may very well be getting the best with what we’ve got atm.

We had a great 2023 and did well to get to the PF. Come 2024 what changes have yielded an improvement:

Elijah - Yes
Fantasia - No
Harry’s goal kicking - Yes
Loss of Doc, Martin, SoS - No
Cerra - No on form and availability.
TDK, Saad, McG - out for extended period.
Cinc - Yes

I’ve only listed a few, but my point is I think on balance we are worse off personnel wise compared to last season and that Voss and Co. may very well be getting the best with what we’ve got atm.

Yep. The form of Walsh & Hewett is also a concern. Hollands is having second year blues

How many players are playing above what they did this time last year?

and questions or comments are fair.

Some people seem to think that asking questions of our coaches and wanting improvement (and providing possible options) is wanting them sacked or an overreaction. I don't agree and I have not seen ONE person here wanting Voss sacked
I'm in the same boat. we should be better. I don't know which carlton is going to turn up

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Michael Voss

Remove this Banner Ad

Back