Coach Michael Voss

Remove this Banner Ad

The misses hurt a lot. That continually plagues us. Cost us a lot last year.
But.. the game plan he has in place is so far against the trend of modern footy and is 100% not suited to the strengths of our playing list. It’s hugely concerning at this point. Had we kicked those goals and won it would have papered over the cracks of what is frankly a disgusting game plan. Voss has time to turn it around and I hope he does, but he needs to put his ego in check and realise what he’s implementing isn’t working. Let’s see how he adapts because that will tell us if he’s the right coach for us or not.

We don’t have the foot skills to play chip chip slow and defensive. We have two Coleman medalists. Move the ball quickly, chain up by hand, play on instinct, get the crumbers at the fall of the ball. Strip it right back and let our talent shine.
The game plan has evolved, we are no longer easy to score against, we just don’t have the players to finish off the work.

St Kilda kicked 4 goals in a row in the third quarter because our players couldn’t convert simple chances.

We cannot blame Voss for Jack Silvagni - an 8 year/100+ game veteran - missing a goal from 15 metres out directly in front.

I think he has done that. We are a far more resilient team than we were in years gone by when opposition teams would get a run on and kick 5+ goals consecutively every other week.

On the weekend St Kilda won the game on the back of a third quarter run when Jack Silvagni missed a goal from 15 metres out and Harry missed twice in 30 seconds. The coach cannot be blamed for that.
And when Saints were obviously instructed to get the ball into Hill's hands. He was much more creative and effective in delivering inside 50 for them. We had no one smart or fast enough to make that more difficult for him.

The game plan has evolved, we are no longer easy to score against, we just don’t have the players to finish off the work.

St Kilda kicked 4 goals in a row in the third quarter because our players couldn’t convert simple chances.

We cannot blame Voss for Jack Silvagni - an 8 year/100+ game veteran - missing a goal from 15 metres out directly in front.

The game plan has evolved for the worse in terms of playing to the strengths of our list so agree to disagree in that aspect. No point defending better if you can no longer put a decent score on the board. As the saying goes.. ‘robbing Peter to pay Paul’.

Strongly agree the goal kicking needs some serious improvement. It’s long been our nemesis.

The game plan has evolved for the worse in terms of playing to the strengths of our list so agree to disagree in that aspect. No point defending better if you can no longer put a decent score on the board. As the saying goes.. ‘robbing Peter to pay Paul’.

Strongly agree the goal kicking needs some serious improvement. It’s long been our nemesis.

I think we’ll have to disagree.

Aside from the Adelaide game which was 100% on the players not turning up, the game plan has put us in positions to win every game but the players have not been able to execute.

Look at the GWS game. In the third quarter we had 15 inside 50s for 0.5. In the third quarter against Gws this week Brisbane had 6 inside 50s for 5 goals. Game over. We need a good goalkicker.

I think we’ll have to disagree.

Aside from the Adelaide game which was 100% on the players not turning up, the game plan has put us in positions to win every game but the players have not been able to execute.

Look at the GWS game. In the third quarter we had 15 inside 50s for 0.5. In the third quarter against Gws this week Brisbane had 6 inside 50s for 5 goals. Game over. We need a good goalkicker.

It’s fine to disagree, I can respect that.

We will always be competitive no matter the game plan due to the talent on the list. If the game plan is improved and actually allows the strengths of our list to shine, we’ll be better off for it. Our list composition with lack of good foot skills and a lack of genuine pace would be better off with a quicker ball movement style than what we’re seeing now. Anyways, let’s hope we can turn it around because we all want to see that.

Our fwd line personal is what is holding our structure back -- fwd line dictates how fast you can go with ball ..
Outside of Charlie and Harry who in our fwd line would get a game with Geelong Melbourne pies Brisbane gee throw in the rest of the top ten and maybe even Richmond GWS bulldogs

In the last few games of 2022, we were very close to beating both Melbourne and Collingwood and all things considered, had a good year IMO. Sadly with the way we're playing at the moment I don't think we'd get within 10 goals of either team.

I hope with some players coming back, and a few tweaks, Voss and Co. can get us back to playing our best footy.

They have beaten some good sides, only lost to the Pies by a goal

Ross was always going to get greater consistency, but, we have seen how this plays out
Pies put them away and eased off on the accelerator with a couple of minutes to go. I haven't lost faith in Voss and am still positive that we will make finals but the Saints weren't great on Sunday IMO and i have them finishing 7-9. We beat ourselves.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pies put them away and eased off on the accelerator with a couple of minutes to go. I haven't lost faith in Voss and am still positive that we will make finals but the Saints weren't great on Sunday IMO and i have them finishing 7-9. We beat ourselves.

Plenty of ebbs and flow throughout a season

Saints playing a dour, shut down Ross style, they will be competitive, but not convinced it's sustainable just yet.

Rated the Crows before the start of the season, not surprised they are in the 8

But, our current style seems unnatural, somewhat confused, just lacks flow.

Playing a mid as the 7th defender, is bizarre, especially slow mids. If that was a breakglass, Acres would have been a better option

The lack of different options at centre bounces/midfield is bordering on stubbornness

Next 7 games, 4 wins would be breakeven, anything less and we are coming from too far back

We all wanted Voss, from board level down, to add a harder edge to what was a soft side overall.

Here we are some ways down the track, and it is still an issue. The main issue.

Is Voss afraid of losing the players?
Or has that already begun??

I really don't know what the answer is at this point, but I'm sick of making excuses for the club and hearing from people who have rose coloured glasses that would fit on the hubble telescope.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
If Voss, in 1 and a half years has lost the players?
Then I highly doubt, that Voss is the problem, it's obviously the players...

Voss does need to fix our defence and allow us to attack with fast ball movement through the corridor... ala 2022, first 10 rounds...

We have a group of highly skilled players that play an individual based brand, not team football...
If we get enough players playing well on the day we win on talent... When not we get the Adelaide game...

Geelong, Richmond (prime), Melbourne, Collingwood, Sydney & St Kilda all play team first football...

Last edited:
If Voss, in 1 and a half years has lost the players...

Voss does need to fix our defence and allow us to attack with fast ball movement through the corridor... ala 2022, first 10 rounds...

We have a group of highly skilled players that play an individual based brand, not team football...
If we get enough players playing well on the day we win on talent... When not we get the Adelaide game...

Geelong, Richmond (prime), Melbourne, Collingwood, Sydney & St Kilda all play team first football...
I think part of the answer to driving the team first standards is rewarding those that perform at the lower level and demoting those that don’t at the senior level … regardless of like for like or stature of the player … and another part of the answer is we are soooooooooooo predictable it’s just simply not funny anymore … the coaches need to mix things up try different ways of entering our forward 50 for gods sake … make unexpected moves when we are behind to try and change momentum and even moreso when we seem to be on top … keep the opposition players and coaches guessing … I mean I almost saw Lyon yawning in that last quarter … I know I was … lol

Plenty of ebbs and flow throughout a season

Saints playing a dour, shut down Ross style, they will be competitive, but not convinced it's sustainable just yet.

Rated the Crows before the start of the season, not surprised they are in the 8

But, our current style seems unnatural, somewhat confused, just lacks flow.

Playing a mid as the 7th defender, is bizarre, especially slow mids. If that was a breakglass, Acres would have been a better option

The lack of different options at centre bounces/midfield is bordering on stubbornness

Next 7 games, 4 wins would be breakeven, anything less and we are coming from too far back
I'd take 4 now, I think 3 of the next 7 is even doable. The draw opens up for us again after that.

Thats exactly right.

Players like Plowman, JSOS, Fisher, Martin, Mcgovern etc... We've seen them under 3 coaches and guess what? They are still the same unreliable pea hearts (Jack excepted) that we bemoan every 2nd week or third week. We could add Alastair Clarkson and Leigh Matthews to our coaching panel and the results will still be the same with those guys.

We're living in a perpetual loop.

In a few weeks' time Martin will come back, play a blinder and win us a game and we'll all be saying OOOO Martin has finally arrived! Only to realise it was against Norf or Fold Coast or someone rubbish and when he goes unsighted the next week for 3/4 of the game we'll all go MARTIN IS STILL GETTING A GAME?!? It's groundhog day with these blokes.

I can come across as harsh, but Fisher was literally my favourite player behind Cripps when he came in, loved his intensity and desire to tackle...Plowman when he first came in looked a great young leader next to Marchy and I was super excited to see that pairing for the next decade... Unfortunately they've all got a soft underbelly and either stagnated or they turn to water when the whips are cracking. They simply are not up to it.

We have our injury prone blokes who at least give it a crack when healthy but can't get on the park and some of them have to go purely to get some consistency through the squad but these guys who we know crack any time there's a big game, any time there's a big moment... they'll either fuzz it or are nowhere to be seen... We just have to move on.

I guarantee you those same blokes are the ones who lose interest as soon as things don't go a certain way and are the first to jump ship on a coach, I've met a thousand of them outside of footy.

I remember Cripps when Bolts got fired was that devastated he almost pulled out of his famous performance against Brisbane. That's not someone who's going to bail. He's proven that many times over with continually re signing when he could have gone anywhere, he wanted for any contract he wanted.

It's the guys we have lamented for half a decade now and until we move on no coach is going to get anything significant out of the squad.

Luckily for us, there's not too many of them left and over the next 1-2 years we should be able to move them on without jeopardising our list in terms of mature bodies and experience. It's time for them to go and our next group of boys to be the ones who take us to the promise land alongside our proven stars like Charlie, Crippa and Walshy.

It's frustrating that there are several options they could try to change things up. I won't go into them because they've been discussed a lot on these boards.

Then instead they go and throw Kennedy to half-back, which nobody saw coming or can explain coherent reasoning behind.

A reminder that last year we looked a top 4 team when our cattle was on the park. Injuries derailed our season but don't remember many sitting around saying Voss cant coach. Things haven't clicked this year yet but thats probably more on players being horrifically out of form such as our midfield up until this week and Harry missing half his shots on goal.

2 losses and people are calling for a nuke of Ikon park. It's ridiculous when you look at our list.
The frustration has came with the game style, the entire coaching staff need accountability with the game style that has been developed over the summer months.

We are not winning many games kicking 8-12 goals per game, highly disappointing with two quality key forwards, getting quick ball movement should have been a focus.

just about everyone in footy circles are puzzled as to why we aren’t making some changes (move the ball more quickly) to the way we play to take advantage of our two Coleman medalists. Just watch on the couch, first crack, afl360 and of course it’s all detailed right here on footy central (BF).

if Voss hasn’t lost the players yet he won’t be too far away if he doesn’t make some positive changes to our slow boring scared brand of footy. I doubt Cripps wants to miss finals again this season and that is a real possibility. Just look at who is in the top 10-11 teams and how we compare against them. Not going to be easy based on the way we currently play.

just about everyone in footy circles are puzzled as to why we aren’t making some changes (move the ball more quickly) to the way we play to take advantage of our two Coleman medalists. Just watch on the couch, first crack, afl360 and of course it’s all detailed right here on footy central (BF).

if Voss hasn’t lost the players yet he won’t be too far away if he doesn’t make some positive changes to our slow boring scared brand of footy. I doubt Cripps wants to miss finals again this season and that is a real possibility. Just look at who is in the top 10-11 teams and how we compare against them. Not going to be easy based on the way we currently play.
I dont want to shoot Bambi but just on Crippa, he is 0-7 in front of goals this year, last year I think he had 10 by round 6. Not much Voss can do about errant kicking by the skipper. We are quick to blame the coach when we aren't going well but our ball use has been catastrophic at times (field kicking and in front of goal).

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Michael Voss

Remove this Banner Ad

Back