Coach Michael Voss

Remove this Banner Ad

The opposition worked us out and nullified our 1 wood…

Teams went head to head with us and we beat them on ability alone, unfortunately the game no longer relies on ability alone..

I reckon we've over corrected. The slow, kicking game is just not for this group. How many really great distributors by foot do we have in our side? Not many at all.. yet we have to thread the needle by foot. And it seems the directive is if there's no short option then kick it long up the line and hope for the best. Walsh, Hollands, Cottrell types the only ones willing to work hard to run into space and present an option.

And I can't for the life of me understand why we were playing with this style when we're 4 goals down in the last quarter with 10 mins to go. The team were getting bronx cheers from their own fans it's that bad...

The loss to the Saints just stinks of Voss presenting it as "a respectable loss to the team on top of the ladder. Proud response from last week's debacle"

GWS shouldn't have been anywhere near us, let alone take the lead in the last quarter... North kicking 4 goals in a row to end the game? We're 8 goals up, bury them! I know the Crows are a different side at home and they're a young inconsistent group, but **** me the Hawks negated their strengths far better than we did and almost knocked them over.

We're six rounds in and this clearly isn't working. If we play like this against West Coast it'll likely be another scrappy win. We'll get more of the same against:

Brisbane - another respectable loss to "a top 4 side"...
Dogs - a 50-50 game
Pies - are better than last year so another respectable loss to "a top 4 side"
Swans - away... "we need to get better on the road, proud of the effort against last year's RU"
Demons - another 50-50 game
Bombers - another 50-50 game
Suns - away... we're their bunnies "we need to get better on the road"

So really only the West Coast game I'm confident we'll win. Let's be optimistic and say we will win 2/3 of those 50-50 games. Where do we sit with this team after that?

6 - 7 - 1

With a game that clearly won't cut the mustard against other top 8 teams. So we may scrape in to finals with a better run in the second half only to make up the numbers. Doesn't bode well. The club will put their usual bs spin on it - "We made finals! YAY! Visit the Carlton shop to celebrate!" but.... we want to win a premiership. We're not going to do that by beating on teams that are less talented than ours.

It is time for Voss to draw the line in the sand.

Make a big statement at the selection table this week, needs to drop at least 5 players and at least 1 of those that is a usual 'automatic selection' no matter what they do. Show these boys you're fair dinkum and not here to become their best mate.

Peel back these 'layers' you've been adding, swallow your pride, admit you got it wrong and allow them to play the more free flowing style that we did in the first half of last season.

Adelaide and Collingwood's playing lists aren't miles ahead of Carlton, but their game style and playing group confidence shreds us.
Both have coach's with less senior experience than Voss.(and probably less total experience)
After over 7 years of heavy rebuilding(there should be no excuses), our list isn't bad(compared to all other teams), we are just playing a sh1t system with players too timid(over thinking coaching instructions) to take the game on. But apparently it's the players fault for not adhering to his instructions. fmd.
Our window is now!... I can sense this slipping away.
Use the levers that are provided for you and make a statement on selection night.
3 times in 8 years apparantly it was the coaches. We sacked the coach for littlr benefit. I really think the torch needs to be applied to the playing group because
A) they are entitled
B) Comfortable
C) lack leadership
D) Don't understanding a winning mindset

Start by dropping 4 or 5 this week including a big namr

3 times in 8 years apparantly it was the coaches. We sacked the coach for littlr benefit. I really think the torch needs to be applied to the playing group because
A) they are entitled
B) Comfortable
C) lack leadership

Voss doesnt have the coaching acumen to drop big name players.

that sort of thing is done by coaches like ross lyon, clarko etc.

the club has to take control/charge of this situation. maybe cook can show way forward.

the entitled players need to understand they are not in control any longer. accept it or gtfo!

Think the club should urgently do another, quiet, out of the media, review of the football department...

Looking to see how
  • We are tracking to our plan
  • If the coaching group, would benefit or improve with additional resources
  • If the playing group, would benefit or improve with additional resources
  • Find and fix where we are failing
Before it's too late, we possibly miss the finals and the media circus starts...

After a full review, the board chose all the current staff, about time we support them and give them the greatest opportunity to succeed...

A) they are entitled
B) Comfortable
C) lack leadership

I don't want to see Voss lose his job, that would set us back further, just needs to relax his slow methodic over thinking game style.(see Blue Fusions post above)
The players seem to have had every natural footy instinct drained from them, let 'em loose this week and yes, make several unforced changes at the selection meeting.
We either stick to the disfunctioning continuity plan or unsettle the group a little with form VFL inclusions, plan A wont work, maybe plan B will.

The question needs to be asked why our coaches seem to 'shrink' into the same tired, cliche over time. I almost wonder if we had gotten a Ross Lyon or Clarko if the same thing would still happen. I think possibly yes.

Is it something to do with the Board? Do we not give hard ass coaches enough of the reins to truly do what they would like to? Hope that makes sense, finding it hard to really put into words what I'm thinking.

Our window is now!... I can sense this slipping away.
Yup. I don't buy we've got another 5 years of window, still so reliant on Cripps.

Use the levers that are provided for you and make a statement on selection night.
They can't though, unless they're happy to just throw away potential wins in the name of statement/principle. There's nothing in the 2s.

A) they are entitled
B) Comfortable
C) lack leadership

Previous coaches' incompetence and lack of leadership did have a role to play in the teams underperformance, however it has permeated through to the overall attitude and approach of sections of the playing group whereby near enough is good enough.

As above - Dow and Carroll would get absolutely creamed against AFL standard mids.
You’ve still got Cripps, Walsh, Cerra and Kennedy who are no slouches leading our midfield - with Carroll and Dow 5th and 6th replacing Ed and Hewett.

They wouldn’t get creamed against the 5th and 6th placed midfielder of every AFL team, and not any more than Ed and Hewett in their current form is the point being made.

You’ve still got Cripps, Walsh, Cerra and Kennedy who are no slouches leading our midfield - with Carroll and Dow 5th and 6th replacing Ed and Hewett.
Might be doable if we had 2022 Kennedy. Looks like we have 2020 Kennedy currently.

They wouldn’t get creamed against the 5th and 6th placed midfielder of every AFL team, and not any more than Ed and Hewett in their current form is the point being made.
I reckon they would lol

Voss ain’t up to it, reckon he’ll be lucky to complete his 3 year contacted term.
Brilliant footballer, exudes leadership great role model in that regards ,
but glaringly lacking in coaching IQ, tactical and game plan structure innovation, little finesse or flexibility.
Perhaps he needs another season or two , certainly hasn’t inherited the best playing group, but can’t see him remain as head coach.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't want to see Voss lose his job, that would set us back further, just needs to relax his slow methodic over thinking game style.(see Blue Fusions post above)
The players seem to have had every natural footy instinct drained from them, let 'em loose this week and yes, make several unforced changes at the selection meeting.
We either stick to the disfunctioning continuity plan or unsettle the group a little with form VFL inclusions, plan A wont work, maybe plan B will.
I believe we have many players who are not coachable, they don not listen and adapt. Voss is not coaching them to play that way. I don't know how good Voss is but just once change out players before putting pressure on the coach

Voss doesnt have the coaching acumen to drop big name players.

that sort of thing is done by coaches like ross lyon, clarko etc.

the club has to take control/charge of this situation. maybe cook can show way forward.

the entitled players need to understand they are not in control any longer. accept it or gtfo!
We are going to find out if voss can make a statement. In fairness the only players prior to this week he could of played were carrol and kemp.
Dow- i don't rate
Binns not ready before now
Boyd not fit/in a perfect world needs another game.
I would have liked to see Kemp and Carrol for ed curnow and honey.

Hate saying it but we should have got Ross the Boss. Aints are loving it and we are finishing another season out the 8 with a list that Ross could take to a premiership. Voss treats the players with kid gloves and 5ries to command respect as a triple premiership winning captain … but his coaching is lacking and it’s showing. His game plan was worked out midway through last season and he has come up with squat since.

Sad reality is, is that we can’t sack him as we have gone down that road too much the last number of years. How stains and scum got their men and we couldn’t get ours speaks volumes.

Yup. I don't buy we've got another 5 years of window, still so reliant on Cripps.

They can't though, unless they're happy to just throw away potential wins in the name of statement/principle. There's nothing in the 2s.
I could replace Cripps in your post for Deledio, and it could 100% be from the Richmond board in 2012...

Hate saying it but we should have got Ross the Boss. Aints are loving it and we are finishing another season out the 8 with a list that Ross could take to a premiership. Voss treats the players with kid gloves and 5ries to command respect as a triple premiership winning captain … but his coaching is lacking and it’s showing. His game plan was worked out midway through last season and he has come up with squat since.

Sad reality is, is that we can’t sack him as we have gone down that road too much the last number of years. How stains and scum got their men and we couldn’t get ours speaks volumes.

Still way too early to call this season a write off Voss a poor appointment.

Let's wait until after the bye round (at least)

Have faith bourbons…or have another bourbon. :D

We will come good.
I agree we will get a lot better. The "oh shit" experience happened in the beginning of the season. What I don't believe is the list, and mental approach is near a premiership side. I think there is enough evidence to suggest this group's ceiling is 7th or 8th and a real overhaul of the list is required to turn us into a premiership side. If we are to contend quickly minimum 10 list changes at the end of 2023.

I agree we will get a lot better. The "oh s**t" experience happened in the beginning of the season. What I don't believe is the list, and mental approach is near a premiership side. I think there is enough evidence to suggest this group's ceiling is 7th or 8th and a real overhaul of the list is required to turn us into a premiership side. If we are to contend quickly minimum 10 list changes at the end of 2023.

Michael I think we are all aware of your 'minimum 10' list changes.

Does it need to be repeated endlessly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Michael Voss

Remove this Banner Ad

Back