Opinion Mick Malthouse

What is the next move on Mick?

• Sack him immediately; replacement coach to see out the year.

Votes: 192 48.9%
  • Let him coach out the year then show him the door.

Votes: 70 17.8%
  • Sign him now to give coaches and players some direction.

Votes: 81 20.6%
  • Not sure yet... still too angry to think clearly.

Votes: 50 12.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

What makes you think he is trying?

I don't think I ever suggested the contrary. All I asked was where was the evidence that the playing the boundary is Mick's go to tactic. Did West Coast play the boundary when they won flags? Did Collingwood? And even if they did is that evidence of the plan now. All I see is really poor effort. Is that confidence or tactics? My criticism of Mick regards to man management. How are you going to get these guys playing for you, until they do how can we really know what the tactics are...

I don't think I ever suggested the contrary. All I asked was where was the evidence that the playing the boundary is Mick's go to tactic. Did West Coast play the boundary when they won flags? Did Collingwood? And even if they did is that evidence of the plan now. All I see is really poor effort. Is that confidence or tactics? My criticism of Mick regards to man management. How are you going to get these guys playing for you, until they do how can we really know what the tactics are...

I don't know what WC or COLL has to do with Carlton now. I couldn't care less how he won premierships at other clubs. Even if he did play the boundary there, clearly our players aren't capable of doing so successfully--therefore the game plan should change.

I don't know what WC or COLL has to do with Carlton now. I couldn't care less how he won premierships at other clubs. Even if he did play the boundary there, clearly our players aren't capable of doing so successfully--therefore the game plan should change.

Reference to WC and COLL was largely due to the commentary on Mick not changing his tactics and that they are outdated. Place as much emphasis on that as you like.

Your making the assumption that playing the boundary is the current game plan. You could equally assume that the players go to the boundary because it is the safe option and none of them want to take risks. The game plan could also be to use the corridor in this situation, use the boundary in this situation and the players are not carrying this out correctly. It could also be the game plan. Speculation, speculation, speculation. I am open to being convinced otherwise...

We used the corridor effectively towards the end of 2014 and now we are not. I'm just sceptical of getting caught up in the hype of bashing Mick's tactics as we are getting fed that shit repeatedly in the media. They are always looking for a story and Mick getting sacked is a big one. I'm not defending his tactics but when there is zero effort I would argue that this clouds any discussion about tactics.

I'm interested in man management and whether the team is playing for him. I have seen little evidence of this. In my experience coaching sports teams (caveat: at amateur level and I'm not pretending I am good) tactics is only one of many components used to motivate people to play. Has he lost the playing group? If he has, can he get them back? This is the bigger issue rather than what I see as tactics speculation.

Not if by using the corridor/pushing players forward of the ball leaves us exposed to an counter attack if we turn the ball over.

I am not happy with the current GP myself, but frankly I am not convinced we would be better off (at this stage) using an attacking/corridor brand of footy, especially when we don't have any consistent goal scoring mids.
So should we always play with our men behind the ball in case it gets turned over? At some point you have to say **** it and take the game on. I'd rather see them take it on through the corridor and get hurt, than hug the boundary and get hurt.

The best coaches adapt a game plan to suit the players at there disposal.. MM has one plan that he has had for 20 years and is either incapable of being innovative enough to change it or just too arrogant to admit he is wrong..

Reference to WC and COLL was largely due to the commentary on Mick not changing his tactics and that they are outdated. Place as much emphasis on that as you like.

Your making the assumption that playing the boundary is the current game plan. You could equally assume that the players go to the boundary because it is the safe option and none of them want to take risks. The game plan could also be to use the corridor in this situation, use the boundary in this situation and the players are not carrying this out correctly. It could also be the game plan. Speculation, speculation, speculation. I am open to being convinced otherwise...

We used the corridor effectively towards the end of 2014 and now we are not. I'm just sceptical of getting caught up in the hype of bashing Mick's tactics as we are getting fed that shit repeatedly in the media. They are always looking for a story and Mick getting sacked is a big one. I'm not defending his tactics but when there is zero effort I would argue that this clouds any discussion about tactics.

I'm interested in man management and whether the team is playing for him. I have seen little evidence of this. In my experience coaching sports teams (caveat: at amateur level and I'm not pretending I am good) tactics is only one of many components used to motivate people to play. Has he lost the playing group? If he has, can he get them back? This is the bigger issue rather than what I see as tactics speculation.

People on $1M p.a aren't paid that to force questions and hypotheticals from supporters- they are paid to get results- results which this shyster promised and has never delivered.

Skirt around failure, dress it up, cook it in any sauce you like,, even eat it raw- whatever floats your boat - but at the end of the day as this cany old overly paid fox says himself- the Buckley stops with him.

Well if they AREN'T following the game plan, they should be dragged and blasted on the batphone, then sent back out to do it right. If they do it week in, week out, they should be dropped.
I'd like to see him tell the players this week that they HAVE to play on at all opportunities or they won't play next week. I don't care what the result is, just play on and attack.
There's only really a few options here.
1. They are following the game plan and it's just a bad game plan.
2. They are following the game plan, but the players aren't good enough to make it work.
3. They aren't following the game plan, but there's no accountability and players should be getting dropped until they do follow it.
I don't care if you get 30 touches and a couple of goals. If you aren't following the game plan, we aren't winning, and you're only making yourself look good, take a seat!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well if they AREN'T following the game plan, they should be dragged and blasted on the batphone, then sent back out to do it right. If they do it week in, week out, they should be dropped.
I'd like to see him tell the players this week that they HAVE to play on at all opportunities or they won't play next week. I don't care what the result is, just play on and attack.
There's only really a few options here.
1. They are following the game plan and it's just a bad game plan.
2. They are following the game plan, but the players aren't good enough to make it work.
3. They aren't following the game plan, but there's no accountability and players should be getting dropped until they do follow it.
I don't care if you get 30 touches and a couple of goals. If you aren't following the game plan, we aren't winning, and you're only making yourself look good, take a seat!

This underpins everything IMO...at all levels

Not if by using the corridor/pushing players forward of the ball leaves us exposed to an counter attack if we turn the ball over.

I am not happy with the current GP myself, but frankly I am not convinced we would be better off (at this stage) using an attacking/corridor brand of footy, especially when we don't have any consistent goal scoring mids.

Tom Bell says hello... ;)

At some point don't you think Mick should say to himself, "Self--the players I have here cannot execute the game plan as I want them to. Perhaps I should change it up to something that suits their natural abilities instead of trying to shove a square peg into a round hole."

Is he capable of that? I don't think he is.

People on $1M p.a aren't paid that to force questions and hypotheticals from supporters- they are paid to get results- results which this shyster promised and has never delivered.

Skirt around failure, dress it up, cook it in any sauce you like,, even eat it raw- whatever floats your boat - but at the end of the day as this cany old overly paid fox says himself- the Buckley stops with him.

Calling Mick a con artist/shyster etc only reflects poorly on you, not Mick.

If Mick is being overpaid, that's the fault of the board and admin that hired him.

What you don't understand that every club that's embarked on a full rebuild, like we are undertaking under Mick, is going to through 2/3, maybe 4 years of pain. St Kilda are going through it, the Doggies went through it.

Personally I say BRAVO to Mick for having the cojones to finally sweep the broom through the playing list and get rid of the plodders who were taking this club for a ride (McLean, Robbo etc)

Maybe Mick was telling porkies in the pre-season, but that's what naive fans wanted to hear, the fans living on planet reality knew we were in for a tough season (most media experts tipped us to finish bottom 4)

I expect the status quo next year under a new coach FYI. We need to hit the bottom and hkt the draft well for a couple of years to rise again.

Believe it or not the game plan that the NBs are currently executing very well & playing exciting footy with is the one Mick is trying to get the senior players to play.

Well this could be half the problem, is not having a stand alone VFL team it means we dont have control over the reserves game plan and ensuring they are playing comparable football making the transition from VFL to AFL as easy as possible..

Well this could be half the problem, is not having a stand alone VFL team it means we dont have control over the reserves game plan and ensuring they are playing comparable football making the transition from VFL to AFL as easy as possible..
I think you completely missed the point. The game plan in the VFL is Mick's game plan and the game plan Mick tells Webster to coach. It's just a shame the VFL boys are executing it but the AFL boys aren't.

Calling Mick a con artist/shyster etc only reflects poorly on you, not Mick.

If Mick is being overpaid, that's the fault of the board and admin that hired him.

What you don't understand that every club that's embarked on a full rebuild, like we are undertaking under Mick, is going to through 2/3, maybe 4 years of pain. St Kilda are going through it, the Doggies went through it.

Personally I say BRAVO to Mick for having the cojones to finally sweep the broom through the playing list and get rid of the plodders who were taking this club for a ride (McLean, Robbo etc)

Maybe Mick was telling porkies in the pre-season, but that's what naive fans wanted to hear, the fans living on planet reality knew we were in for a tough season (most media experts tipped us to finish bottom 4)

I expect the status quo next year under a new coach FYI. We need to hit the bottom and hkt the draft well for a couple of years to rise again.

Mick Malthouse was not employed to rebuild carlton, infact it looks like he's managed to destroy the list with his crap non existant game plan. Going on a book tour instead of coaching the team to start with , what a joke , and the bad humour has continued all the way through. Acting like a complete joke in after match interviews and making the whole club and complete farce, bringing his butt boy dale Thomas over on big bucks injured and favourite son eddie betts not given what he deserved, now the entire forward line is gone for no compensation.
You can make excuses for the bloke till your blue in the face , the guy has failed and failed miserably. I mean look at mitch robinson on the weekend, wouldn't you rather him in a blue jumper, I know I would. What a complete joke he was delisted. He made a mistake ffs.
I'm really really sick of all the excuses he comes up with why he has failed and i'm also really sick od supporters making excuses for him as well. Just about every carlton supporter I talk to wants him gone, so he has to go or else the club will have no on left to go to the games if their not careful.
Employ the best assistant available and move on

I think you completely missed the point. The game plan in the VFL is Mick's game plan and the game plan Mick tells Webster to coach. It's just a shame the VFL boys are executing it but the AFL boys aren't.
This is great to hear, but it also tells me some of our senior players may have to have a run in the twos to learn it :p

Mick Malthouse was not employed to rebuild carlton, infact it looks like he's managed to destroy the list with his crap non existant game plan. Going on a book tour instead of coaching the team to start with , what a joke , and the bad humour has continued all the way through. Acting like a complete joke in after match interviews and making the whole club and complete farce, bringing his butt boy dale Thomas over on big bucks injured and favourite son eddie betts not given what he deserved, now the entire forward line is gone for no compensation.
You can make excuses for the bloke till your blue in the face , the guy has failed and failed miserably. I mean look at mitch robinson on the weekend, wouldn't you rather him in a blue jumper, I know I would. What a complete joke he was delisted. He made a mistake ffs.
I'm really really sick of all the excuses he comes up with why he has failed and i'm also really sick od supporters making excuses for him as well. Just about every carlton supporter I talk to wants him gone, so he has to go or else the club will have no on left to go to the games if their not careful.
Employ the best assistant available and move on

Tell us how you really feel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back