Opinion Mick Malthouse

What is the next move on Mick?

• Sack him immediately; replacement coach to see out the year.

Votes: 192 48.9%
  • Let him coach out the year then show him the door.

Votes: 70 17.8%
  • Sign him now to give coaches and players some direction.

Votes: 81 20.6%
  • Not sure yet... still too angry to think clearly.

Votes: 50 12.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We looked really good in the NAB Cup - when the ball was run through the middle - so far thre quarters of highlights for the year- and they all cam in the NAB Cup - one game Malthouse wasn't even there.

The game Malthouse didn't coach was in Perth and we got flogged, and he missed it to attend a funeral of a close family friend..

Generally speaking, you should never take NAB Challenge form seriously, remember Richmond belted Port up in Albury

it's a bit sad that it's taken so long for someone on the coach panel to say maybe we should use the the center of the ground more.
I have no problems with Barker saying that we should be using the corridor more often... I just dont rate Barker as the coach of an under9s side let alone being made the head coach of an AFL level squad.

In fact, I rate Wayne Brittain higher as a coach than Barker!

100% spot on. He basically just took a dump on Mick's gameplan.

Judging by those comments Barker is looking at securing a job post-Malthouse, be it at our club or another.

Well, it is the worst/most-outdated game-plan in the league. IT essentially makes us unwatchable. I think my girlfriend thinks I'm a sadist for continuing to watch it.

I don't remember the last team that was so inept at moving the ball from one end of the field to the other.

The 'move it real slow around the boundary and then bomb it inside 50' game plan was my local league team's strat in 1999.

I actually like MM. I like that he stands up to ****wits in the media. I think he has had an amazing career. I just don't think he has what it takes to be a head coach any more.

We desperately need a new coach, with fresh ideas. I hate coaches being fired mid-season. I dont want to see that. I just want him away from our youth before they forget how football is meant to be played. There is already three years moving in the opposite direction to the rest of the league to rectify.

I'm not convinced playing through the corridor isn't part of the game plan. It takes the confidence (and skill!) to take risks to do this. I don't think many if any of our players are riding on good confidence let alone skill at the moment. Nor were they when Mick arrived. I'm sure the round the boundary is a way of increasing possession and confidence factoring in a general lack of effective ball use through the list. Obviously, its not a game plan that will win you a lot of games. Has Mick always played this way? Did West Coast play this way when they won those flags, did Collingwood? Maybe someone can comment on that - as I don't know how much media is just kicking him when he is down.

Anyway turning this shitheap around all hinges on whether the coaching group can instil some form of confidence back into the playing group.

Well, it is the worst/most-outdated game-plan in the league. IT essentially makes us unwatchable. I think my girlfriend thinks I'm a sadist for continuing to watch it.

I don't remember the last team that was so inept at moving the ball from one end of the field to the other.

The 'move it real slow around the boundary and then bomb it inside 50' game plan was my local league team's strat in 1999.

I actually like MM. I like that he stands up to *******s in the media. I think he has had an amazing career. I just don't think he has what it takes to be a head coach any more.

We desperately need a new coach, with fresh ideas. I hate coaches being fired mid-season. I dont want to see that. I just want him away from our youth before they forget how football is meant to be played. There is already three years moving in the opposite direction to the rest of the league to rectify.

Yep I agree, if Barker is considered our best assistant I reckon we are better off giving him the reigns and letting us see what he can get out of the boys, with strict instructions he must develop the kids and he will be given an opportunity to present for the senior gig at seasons end....

MM is finished, his game plan does not work with our current team and I simply see no reason or advantage to continue with him, except to save face with the media..

I'm not convinced playing through the corridor isn't part of the game plan. It takes the confidence (and skill!) to take risks to do this. I don't think many if any of our players are riding on good confidence let alone skill at the moment. Nor were they when Mick arrived. I'm sure the round the boundary is a way of increasing possession and confidence factoring in a general lack of effective ball use through the list. Obviously, its not a game plan that will win you a lot of games. Has Mick always played this way? Did West Coast play this way when they won those flags, did Collingwood? Maybe someone can comment on that - as I don't know how much media is just kicking him when he is down.

Anyway turning this shitheap around all hinges on whether the coaching group can instil some form of confidence back into the playing group.

A salient point, there was plenty of attacking down the corridor in the second half of 2014, with the boundary line stuff as the default for when there wasn't a better option. It comes down to the fact that the players are absolutely devoid of confidence in themselves and each other, it's every man for himself out there. This being the case, there's no gameplan in the world that would be remotely effective on the field, let alone entertain the fans at the same time.

The game Malthouse didn't coach was in Perth and we got flogged, and he missed it to attend a funeral of a close family friend..

Generally speaking, you should never take NAB Challenge form seriously, remember Richmond belted Port up in Albury

what point are you trying to make with this post?

We haven't got the cattle or young players with the confidence and/or skill set to carry out an attack through the corridor game plan.

We're actually one of the top ranked teams for contested possessions which is a great stat.

People forget the midd actually get a lot of the ball, but either the delivery into the forward line is atrocious or the forwards are out of position/fail to take clunkers and or miss easy shots at goal.

Why aren't people asking why Gibbs (for one) can seem to hit a bloody target this season ?

We haven't got the cattle or young players with the confidence and/or skill set to carry out an attack through the corridor game plan.

We're actually one of the top ranked teams for contested possessions which is a great stat.

People forget the midd actually get a lot of the ball, but either the delivery into the forward line is atrocious or the forwards are out of position/fail to take clunkers and or miss easy shots at goal.

Why aren't people asking why Gibbs (for one) can seem to hit a bloody target this season ?
they get the contested ball but the opposition sits off the pack and waits for the turn over

whether it is the cattle or the game plan, in season 3 the buck stops with the coach

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haven't heard the funeral story, is there a source for this? Pretty sure he was by Nanette's side as she had exploratory surgery on he abdomen. That's what was reported anyway.

NAB form, no. NAB game plan, yes. We were more attacking. We played on most of the time and looked better for it. That has barely been seen so far in 6 rounds. You can make up any excuse you want, but at the end of the day, it's a simple instruction that isn't being executed. They have either changed the game plan to hug the boundary 90% of the time, or the players just aren't doing it.

they get the contested ball but the opposition sits off the pack and waits for the turn over

whether it is the cattle or the game plan, in season 3 the buck stops with the coach

And so the same core group of players who got Ratten fired, get another get out of free card for their constantly poor/unacceptable efforts?

Replace Mick by all means, but also get rid of Walker, Tuohy, and probably Gibbs as well.

Just how long do we have to put up with players whom have mastered the art of 'running one way' and/or simply look disinterested when the going gets tough and losses start to build.

What skill do you need to run? What skill do you need to play on? What skill do you need to get in a position to receive the ball in space? Surely our players are better at handballs and chip kicks than bombing long to contests, or keeping the ball in play along the boundary? Considering the second isn't working, surely it's worth trying the first option, regardless of whether we have the skill/cattle?

Haven't heard the funeral story, is there a source for this? Pretty sure he was by Nanette's side as she had exploratory surgery on he abdomen. That's what was reported anyway.

NAB form, no. NAB game plan, yes. We were more attacking. We played on most of the time and looked better for it. That has barely been seen so far in 6 rounds. You can make up any excuse you want, but at the end of the day, it's a simple instruction that isn't being executed. They have either changed the game plan to hug the boundary 90% of the time, or the players just aren't doing it.

Of course players are more likely to play with freedom during pre-season games. The don't mean anything.

What skill do you need to run? What skill do you need to play on? What skill do you need to get in a position to receive the ball in space? Surely our players are better at handballs and chip kicks than bombing long to contests, or keeping the ball in play along the boundary? Considering the second isn't working, surely it's worth trying the first option, regardless of whether we have the skill/cattle?

Don't underestimate the impact of confidence. Low confidence = low risk taking + slow ball movement + poor execution + safe options.

Oh okay, I think I was confused, Mick missed an intra-club game to attend the funeral, your right the NAB challenge game was missed to support Nanette (and rightly so)

I can't argue with that - the big challenge for the coaching group is sorting their heads out. Individually that might be easier (hopefully Cas takes another step forward) but getting it to happen collectively is really difficult. Player leadership is also crucial here.

And so the same core group of players who got Ratten fired, get another get out of free card for their constantly poor/unacceptable efforts?

Replace Mick by all means, but also get rid of Walker, Tuohy, and probably Gibbs as well.

Just how long do we have to put up with players whom have mastered the art of 'running one way' and/or simply look disinterested when the going gets tough and losses start to build.

Mick was the guy who said he could take this group to top 4, and he said so while Ratten was still coach. So sympathy is pretty low his $1m per year probably helps comfort him a bit.

I agree we need to trade a couple of those players. Would like to see Tuohy played as a half forward, think he could be very damaging.

Not if by using the corridor/pushing players forward of the ball leaves us exposed to an counter attack if we turn the ball over.

I am not happy with the current GP myself, but frankly I am not convinced we would be better off (at this stage) using an attacking/corridor brand of footy, especially when we don't have any consistent goal scoring mids.

At some point don't you think Mick should say to himself, "Self--the players I have here cannot execute the game plan as I want them to. Perhaps I should change it up to something that suits their natural abilities instead of trying to shove a square peg into a round hole."

Stop asking sensible questions...it hurts some people's brains.

At some point don't you think Mick should say to himself, "Self--the players I have here cannot execute the game plan as I want them to. Perhaps I should change it up to something that suits their natural abilities instead of trying to shove a square peg into a round hole."

Do you have any evidence to suggest he isn't already trying this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back