Opinion Mick Malthouse

What is the next move on Mick?

• Sack him immediately; replacement coach to see out the year.

Votes: 192 48.9%
  • Let him coach out the year then show him the door.

Votes: 70 17.8%
  • Sign him now to give coaches and players some direction.

Votes: 81 20.6%
  • Not sure yet... still too angry to think clearly.

Votes: 50 12.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you seriously suggesting that was a penalty? The Cheats were totally spent from all of those 'supplements'. Compare their penalties to what we copped in 2002. By any measure using banned substances is a far worst offence as it places the players lives at risk.

it was effectively a one week suspension. Wouold have been pantsed 1st week of the finals.

I've been a big defender of Mick's, to friends, family, various forums etc, but even I have to admit, he's making it harder and harder.

Don't like the stuff with Ling (right or wrong) and the negative shadow it casts on our club, and I'm tiring of the on going war with the media. I get that a lot of the questions are rubbish, but some aren't and I'd actually like to hear some answers. Hell, on MMM over here, they have a segment every week called "Mad Mick Monday" dedicated to his media performances on the weekend.

It's all becoming quite draining

Did you see who brought this to attention? Suprise, suprise it was Mark Robinson who as we know is out to get mick, they hate each other. Robinson is a hack journoulist. Ch7 camera people stuck their nose where it didn't belong like they often do and got told off, Ling got caught in the cross fire and there was a misunderstanding between Ling and Malthouse. Big deal, two people had a bit of a disagreement. Molehill made into a Mountain by a bald childish little twat with a license to publish.

Honestly, if I were a KPP for our club I'd be absolutely filthy on the midfield. They run forward leaving our defenders exposed yet struggle to hit a target. If you're going to cheat forward of stoppages you really must get maximum for your posession, as it stands we are not and in turn get exposed going the other way.
These things can be rectified to a degree with time but it's pretty painful to watch at present.
the harder you work the more inaccurate the pass can be possibly- if we go by standard afl level work rate the kick better be above standard otherwise ..o - oh!

I can see how it feels like the polar opposite though. At present the list doesn't have sufficient talent to identify when attacking opportunities should be pursued nor recognise when a saftey first approach should be taken. Hence a sense of confusion and times when we are scored upon quite quickly.

Hence a team that was once very quick but prone to being scored against on the rebound, looks very slow. It's just a matter of knowing when to attack and when to defend. At the moment we don't have a lot of confidence in our teammates to win their contest so we hang back to cover, or we have confidence when it is barely a 50/50 proposition and instead of moving to a position where we can both receive a quick ball or defend if it goes the other way, we are caught napping on the wrong side of the contest.

We definitely need players that are quicker between the ears but can also execute to get the ball running our way. Amazing how quick you can look.

That's why the notion that we may need to go grabbing uncontested outside speed early in the draft, may be fraught with danger. Get the strong readers and skilled players at the contest and you'll find Thomas, Simpson, Murphy, Gibbs will look plenty quick enough with that half a second summing up advantage.

The description of Mark Robinson as a hack jornalist is an insult to hack journalists everywhere.

"Spat" between MM and Ling was probably resolved via a phone call some time yesterday or possibly Sunday.
Mutual apologies. MM for his conduct, Lingy for getting in his face during a moment of high stress. All sorted.

There is no game-plan when players are being thrown into the ground by a stronger, more imposing opposition. No game-plan when players throw the ball onto the boot blindly and it sails to the opposition players' chests, out of bounds, anywhere but one of our players. No game-plan when players don't run with and shepherd for the Carlton bloke with the ball. No game-plan when a pathetically simple 3 metre hand-ball falls to the feet of a Carlton player who then turns it over for an opposition goal. No game-plan when it takes a quarter before we realize the match has actually started. No game-plan when we cannot stop the momentum and run-on of the opposition and see a 4 goal lead become a 2 goal deficit within 20 minutes of football. No game-plan when our foot-skills continually butcher kicks into the forward line and out of the back line. No game-plan when we can't get the ball because the opposition want it more, beat up on us, are basically better skilled or coached or developed than us.

Hence a team that was once very quick but prone to being scored against on the rebound, looks very slow. It's just a matter of knowing when to attack and when to defend. At the moment we don't have a lot of confidence in our teammates to win their contest so we hang back to cover, or we have confidence when it is barely a 50/50 proposition and instead of moving to a position where we can both receive a quick ball or defend if it goes the other way, we are caught napping on the wrong side of the contest.

We definitely need players that are quicker between the ears but can also execute to get the ball running our way. Amazing how quick you can look.

That's why the notion that we may need to go grabbing uncontested outside speed early in the draft, may be fraught with danger. Get the strong readers and skilled players at the contest and you'll find Thomas, Simpson, Murphy, Gibbs will look plenty quick enough with that half a second summing up advantage.

nail .... hammer. Well said Aph.

All this doom and gloom talk about how much more advanced the youngsters at club x or y gives me the irrits. Numpties like Velvet Sledgehammer or Robbo stating it will take 5 years to "rebuild".

It's about continually building not rebuilding. About assessing the state of the list with a view to how it looks in two - three years from now.

As it stands we are approx 4 quality players short. It doesn't take a lot to turn that around just the will to turn the list over in search of them. My guess is 2-3 years before we are seriously in the mix.

As the quality improves, so will performance across the team. The gameplan will look a whole lot better.

There is no game-plan when players are being thrown into the ground by a stronger, more imposing opposition. No game-plan when players throw the ball onto the boot blindly and it sails to the opposition players' chests, out of bounds, anywhere but one of our players. No game-plan when players don't run with and shepherd for the Carlton bloke with the ball. No game-plan when a pathetically simple 3 metre hand-ball falls to the feet of a Carlton player who then turns it over for an opposition goal. No game-plan when it takes a quarter before we realize the match has actually started. No game-plan when we cannot stop the momentum and run-on of the opposition and see a 4 goal lead become a 2 goal deficit within 20 minutes of football. No game-plan when our foot-skills continually butcher kicks into the forward line and out of the back line. No game-plan when we can't get the ball because the opposition want it more, beat up on us, are basically better skilled or coached or developed than us.

Agree that the game plan is not at fault. You can't plan for basic skill errors nor for players switching off.

Improve the list and magically the plan looks better.

With all due respect, this is just wrong. We have lost to three of the four bottom teams this year and been beaten by 10 goals on a few occasions. Under Ratten we were premiership favs after we knocked off the previous year's grand finalist by 10 goals.

This is because we are one of the bottom teams!!!

All the top teams should be beating us by 70 points and likely would be under our old style of play against the likes of Hawthorn, Geelong, Port etc etc but they aren't because like I said, it's hard to flog us if you can't beat us out of the middle and luckily for us we aren't to bad around the clearances.

We were premiership favs for just the first three rounds one season under Ratten where we ended up finishing around 10th, get a grip, we were never that good under Ratten, we peaked in 2011 and did fairly well that year but we still never beat the top 4 sides that year either. Our list isn't nearly as good as it was in 2011, a lot of stars from that year have retired or are past it and past it by some years. That was our peak and it's getting further and further away.

Ratten was coaching in 2012 when we finished 10th! What has this got to do with Malthouse's game plan? We actually improved when he cam in in 2013 when we finished 9th and won a final. Our slide started before Malthouse arrived, what has this got to do with game plans and his coaching now?

You play free flowing attacking footy and risk turning it over up the middle with the team we have got, we would have been beaten by 50-100 points quite regularly this season, instead of actually hanging on withing winning range of most sides like we have.

What people like yourself don't get is that we could easily be a lot worse, a hell of a lot worse and it's our game plan that has kept things from getting real ugly this year. People like yourself still overrate our list based on a couple of years of reasonable success in 2010 and 2011 where it looked like we were going somewhere. We stopped progressing because our drafting went from mediocre to not being able to draft anyone who could play (2009-2012).

Us losing has nothing to do with the coach who is in the early stages of a rebuild.

the harder you work the more inaccurate the pass can be possibly- if we go by standard afl level work rate the kick better be above standard otherwise ..o - oh!

True enough, my frustration is that someone like Hendo readily offers repeat leads and gets into space only for the kick to end up going to his direct opponent.
Then due to lack of defensive running the ball often goes straight down the other end.
The top sides aren't always the teams with the most stars. It's the sides that play for one another that taste the ultimate success.
If you watch the Swans often enough you'll see that all of the players seem to take it personally if Richards opponent (for example) kicks a goal. Our guys seem to only have interest in limiting their direct opponent, which is why we still can get reasonable totals in tackles but look inept in terms covering the opposition in transition.

True enough, my frustration is that someone like Hendo readily offers repeat leads and gets into space only for the kick to end up going to his direct opponent.
Then due to lack of defensive running the ball often goes straight down the other end.
The top sides aren't always the teams with the most stars. It's the sides that play for one another that taste the ultimate success.
If you watch the Swans often enough you'll see that all of the players seem to take it personally if Richards opponent (for example) kicks a goal. Our guys seem to only have interest in limiting their direct opponent, which is why we still can get reasonable totals in tackles but look inept in terms covering the opposition in transition.

Agreed

The description of Mark Robinson as a hack jornalist is an insult to hack journalists everywhere.

"Spat" between MM and Ling was probably resolved via a phone call some time yesterday or possibly Sunday.
Mutual apologies. MM for his conduct, Lingy for getting in his face during a moment of high stress. All sorted.
true, but come on he is like early 60's, he should know how to act and not how to act, even if lingy was being a pest (not sure how he was btw) butr yes he has years more life experience and shouldnt lose his cool, he is paid an extremely good wage and for him to lose it just highlights to me how he thinks he is the s**t. The arrogance that pours out him makes me feel worried, ever notice how high paying jobs like ceo's directors and the like dont lose thier cool, as they have a thing called composure, and the ones who are geared up like that doi it in places where cameras and the like cant nab you, he would know too well that cameras are there and its like he is feeding his own ego (i might be old but i can still bite, give me respect ) attitude? Look who knows, but i know one thing and that is this, if he was really that super and eddie maguire isnt a stupid man, people/clubs/organisations/businesses DON'T let good people go. the ones who they think can be replaced or can cover then yep they do it.

Mick makes me frustrated and sad as a blue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We need one or two good tall forwards and a few midfielders in the Judd/Dangerfield mould or half of Sydney's midfield. We need a tall forward who is not like Casboult who is a pack marking less mobile type. We need a quick, mobile, strong leading all round type tall forward similar to what Fevola was or Cameron is who can do a bit off the ground and has that bit of extra class and smarts. This will complement Levi and vice versa. Maybe Watson will become that with a bit of luck but that's what we need.

We do not need midfielders who are just inside players or who are just outside players (got plenty of them) but ones who are both and can run and execute skilled football, again most of what Sydney, Fremantle's midfield is, Judd/Dangerfield types. We've been short of a gun small defender but only because Buckley has been out for so long and Walker has been carrying a bad knee. As good as Rowe has been there is still a spot for an elite CHB. Jamison, Simpson, Judd, Carrazzo, Walker are getting old. Scotland has gone. Murphy and Thomas might be on the decline in 3 years time when we should be starting to get back up and about. We need to do more than take out three draft picks and a couple of rookies every year, we need to trade heavily and smart and hope to god there are good father/son picks coming our way in the near future because we need a lot of high end talent to come in over a short period of time.

This is because we are one of the bottom teams!!!

All the top teams should be beating us by 70 points and likely would be under our old style of play against the likes of Hawthorn, Geelong, Port etc etc but they aren't because like I said, it's hard to flog us if you can't beat us out of the middle and luckily for us we aren't to bad around the clearances.

We were premiership favs for just the first three rounds one season under Ratten where we ended up finishing around 10th, get a grip, we were never that good under Ratten, we peaked in 2011 and did fairly well that year but we still never beat the top 4 sides that year either. Our list isn't nearly as good as it was in 2011, a lot of stars from that year have retired or are past it and past it by some years. That was our peak and it's getting further and further away.

Ratten was coaching in 2012 when we finished 10th! What has this got to do with Malthouse's game plan? We actually improved when he cam in in 2013 when we finished 9th and won a final. Our slide started before Malthouse arrived, what has this got to do with game plans and his coaching now?

You play free flowing attacking footy and risk turning it over up the middle with the team we have got, we would have been beaten by 50-100 points quite regularly this season, instead of actually hanging on withing winning range of most sides like we have.

What people like yourself don't get is that we could easily be a lot worse, a hell of a lot worse and it's our game plan that has kept things from getting real ugly this year. People like yourself still overrate our list based on a couple of years of reasonable success in 2010 and 2011 where it looked like we were going somewhere. We stopped progressing because our drafting went from mediocre to not being able to draft anyone who could play (2009-2012).

Us losing has nothing to do with the coach who is in the early stages of a rebuild.

Remember, I said we are not premiership material but we are a whole lot better than this. People who say we are where we should be are underrating our list IMO.

Thankyou gbatman for articulating what many of us could see from the stands, even the couch.

Our gameplan is about fast play on footy, quite often through the corridor when we have momentum. Attritional, boundary line and saftey based when we don't have the big mo.

As the list becomes better this style of footy will win games through bursts when we are up but also by reducing the damage when the opposition gets a run on.

I can see how it feels like the polar opposite though. At present the list doesn't have sufficient talent to identify when attacking opportunities should be pursued nor recognise when a saftey first approach should be taken. Hence a sense of confusion and times when we are scored upon quite quickly.

Yeah spot on, if you were to add a Dangerfield, Ablett or a Pendlebury to our side we would play very different, same if you added another Chris Yarran or two. We would play a lot more up the middle and spend a lot more time attacking. It all comes down to who you have as to how you play.

You can't expect to be playing up the middle a lot and not risking turning it over when you have Mclean, Bell, Robinson, Curnow and a heavily tagged Murphy and Judd in your midfield. You have to be able to run like hell and kick really well to do this and these guys can't, so we go wide a lot, the safe low risk low reward option. These guys don't run hard/fast enough to break away from their opponent to be a safe option to kick/handball to, they aren't quick enough to provide line breaking run like Yarran and their disposal isn't safe enough to be going to targets around the middle and not turning it over. At this stage we have Gibbs who usually goes up the middle and Yarran who usually goes up the middle because they get away from their opponents and can kick. Judd gets it going up the middle a fair bit. I like Buckley, he moves the ball up the middle because he has the pace and kicking skills to do so. You look at Lucas, he's an outside running player but his kicking means he doesn't fit into Malthouses game plan.

A few weeks ago against Collingwood we saw Curnow take it upon himself to bring the ball back into the middle but it was a poor kick and it was turned over for an easy Collingwood goal. I thought this sums up where we are at. It was good that he was brave enough to do it but he broke team rule number 1 because the kick wasn't good enough.

Mick talks about players stepping up in big games and performing under pressure. Players who shit themselves and don't use the corridor when it's on are the types he's not keen on. Then there are players who can't use the corridor because they can't kick well enough, can't run and break lines or can't run and link up with handball.

We have a big group of players who can't execute the attacking part of Malthouses game plan.

One day we will come good, start playing more up the middle because we will have the players who can and every one who doesn't get it will be cracking on about how Mick has changed his game plan when really, it's just the players in the team who have become better at executing the attacking part of it.

Last edited:
Remember, I said we are not premiership material but we are a whole lot better than this. People who say we are where we should be are underrating our list IMO.
i think thats wishful thinking, yea we had injuries, (aqll clubs get injuries) i think is it possible that we should be siutting 12th and we a 14th or so ? so in reality we are nearly where we should be?

Our list is no where near as good as Sydney, Fremantle, Geelong, Port Adelaide, Gold Coast and Hawthorn. North Melbourne, Collingwood and Essendon have better lists than ours at this stage but these teams could go either way over the coming seasons. That's 9 teams with a better list than ours. Perhaps add GWS in there, they aren't winning a lot but they will, that makes 10. Adelaide may be a fraction better than us but only by a whisker. That's 11ish.

West Coast and Richmond have similar quality lists to ours though I recon Richmond's could be slightly better but they have been over coached and coached very poorly this season but still much of a muchness. Our list is better than the Doggies and Melbourne for now. It is better than Brisbane and a lot better than St Kilda's.

This puts us about where we belong.

The List

Finished
Duigan, Scotland, Bootsma
-two good old players

Past their Best and nearly finished
Judd, Simpson, Waite, Jamison, Carrazzo
- a heap of talent here that are past their prime, still good enough to get a game but arent the dominating match winners they were in their prime.

Nearing their declining years
Walker, Mclean, Armfield
- Been handy regulars but are slowing down.

Haven't turned out as good as expected
Kreuzer, Watson, McInness, Warnock, Temay, Thomas and all the ones we have got rid of recently.
- This list is pretty damn long, correlates to our weaknesses a bit. Chance some might come good but they will be coming good late if they do.

Slow, Limited or Poorly Skilled
Lucas, Warnock, Mclean, Rowe, Bell, Curnow, Ellard
- Too many of them in the one area (Midfield), demonstrates lack of quality in this area.

Promising Youngsters
Menzel, Johnson, Buckley, Docherty, Cripps, Graham, possibly Holman
- This list has grown significantly over the last couple of years, shows that it's improving and how bad we were. A few years ago I may have had 0 or maybe two players on this list. Takes a lot of getting over this bad drafting. These boys are not there yet either.

Genuine up and coming Tall Forwards
Casboult, Watson?
- Nothing more than potential being shown at the moment, no one stepping up and actually doing it and no Henderson is a center half back, is just handy as a forward.
- Are there any stars here? Anyone here capable of kicking 50 or 60 goals?

Good small forwards
Garlett when he wants to.
- Hate to say it but we miss Betts, Our other forwards are more medium forwards and by that I mean they they are not good or natural crumbers but rather leading types, Yarran is however. None chase well out of the forwardline.

In their Prime
Murphy, Gibbs, Robinson, Curnow, Yarran, Rowe, Henderson, Bell, Everitt, Tuohy, White
- just two A graders but they are really lower end A graders and a good one we are having to play out of position. Lacking class players in their prime, simply and by far not enough.

Possible All Australians
Gibbs and Yarran are slight chances.
We haven't had many lately which is a sign of where our list is at.

How can you not see the dire state the list is in? Lets look ahead three or four years. Take out Duigan, Scotland, Judd, Simpson, Waite, Jamison, Carrazzo, Walker, Mclean, Armfield. There are a lot of players here that we have relied on for a long time, of course we are going to slide when they do. Who's taking over? Well were still trying to find them. Unfortunately the answer is guys like Bell, Robinson, Curnow and the currently very raw and unknown quantities that are Graham, Cripps and Holman. Not many of our players if any are currently up there with the leagues best.

Last edited:
i think thats wishful thinking, yea we had injuries, (aqll clubs get injuries) i think is it possible that we should be siutting 12th and we a 14th or so ? so in reality we are nearly where we should be?

Yep that's about right. The injuries we suffered in 2011 and 2012 weren't even as bad as the injuries Hawthorn have suffered this season and they sit 3rd on the ladder. Collingwood had a similar injury list to us in 2012 and they still managed to finish 4th. Yes we lost players those years and yes it hurt us. Injuries are a part of football, it hurt us because we lacked depth and didn't have real good quality kids in the reserves to come in and fill in for a few games for the players while they got injured. We had one key forward or key back at times instead of two or three so when one went down we had none. Our midfield depth was shallow but Murphy and more so Judd instrumentally carried the weight of the weak bottom end.

Signs of "list decay" were evident way back then and are hurting us badly now, no one stepping up in the same vein to take over from Judd or to kick guys like Bell etc out of the team now.

true, but come on he is like early 60's, he should know how to act and not how to act, even if lingy was being a pest (not sure how he was btw) butr yes he has years more life experience and shouldnt lose his cool, he is paid an extremely good wage and for him to lose it just highlights to me how he thinks he is the s**t. The arrogance that pours out him makes me feel worried, ever notice how high paying jobs like ceo's directors and the like dont lose thier cool, as they have a thing called composure, and the ones who are geared up like that doi it in places where cameras and the like cant nab you, he would know too well that cameras are there and its like he is feeding his own ego (i might be old but i can still bite, give me respect ) attitude? Look who knows, but i know one thing and that is this, if he was really that super and eddie maguire isnt a stupid man, people/clubs/organisations/businesses DON'T let good people go. the ones who they think can be replaced or can cover then yep they do it.

Mick makes me frustrated and sad as a blue.

Mick gets white line fever, just like the players, and probably just like he did when he played, it's probably what drives his competitive nature which is what has made him a good player and coach and fuels his energy to put it all into the job. People just fail to understand Mick and a few things about him.

Plenty of players are as nice as pie, buy you a beer etc off the field but on it are all elbows and punches trying to knock your head off. Any one who's played knows these types! Coaches get like this too.

Thing is a player's white line fever starts when they cross the line and ends when the final siren goes. You go up to a player with a microphone in the middle of a quarter and see how gruff and grumpy they get and see where they will tell you to go.

The coach is on the job hours before and after the game. They put him in front of a mic while he's still on the job and wound up and 100% focused on coaching and before he has talked to his players after the game when he is still in game mode. Walk into his environment (change rooms) and get in the way while he's in game mode trying to focus and do a job and prepare to cop what you get.

You aren't going to get him calm and cool around game day, it's part of what drives his passion and gets him going and who he is. I'd be more worried if I saw him cool and calm on game day, that to me would suggest that he is finished and has lost the passion. I hope that his fire and passion rub off onto the players, I know our boys try hard so it probably is.

Mick's gonna be fired up on game day just like the players, he's going to be gruff, grumpy and blunt but he's also a good coach so you just take the good with the bad. Personally it doesn't bother me, we aren't here to be liked, we're here to win premierships. Stay out of his way while he is working and ask good questions when interviewing him (have you noticed lately they are and his pressers are better now).

Mick does have a habit of talking to the media on game day like you do footballs by replying to their questions with questions, it's just his style, it's how coaches make players think and find out what they are thinking. He's not trying to be rude, he's still in coaching mode and to him 100% of his job is coaching on game day, not talking to the media, that's just something he has to do.

Some coaches are cool and calm like Thompson, that's just who he is, Thompson also burnt out after coaching Geelong too and was reluctant to get back into it where as Mick has lasted for such a long time.

Lingy is a big boy, he can take a spray, I'm sure he has in the past many times. Same with Richo, hell Richo gave some of the all time great onfield sprays himself! Imagine him in the same shoes as Mick!

If you got a hold of Mick during the week he'd be fine, he generally is, he was fine in his media role, just remember on game day it's all about the game. he'll be passionate, assertive and very grumpy!

Some members of the media, those with big fat egos (one or two in particular) can't take being questioned or criticised for asking stupid/blatantly obvious questions. Personally I make nothing of it. You ask a question and he replies, "what do you think?". I recon that's fair enough, he doesn't go off when they answer wrong but he does give his opinion. What you get then are two people's opinions from the one question which is a neat little trick from Mick, that's how he'd learn a lot from his players. Watch his interviews, how often do you get the journo's point of view and micks when they ask him a question, it's quite good. People see this as rude though when it's not.

He doesn't like press conferences after games, hates being interrupted when he's working and likes his privacy and doesn't like giving anything away which in an over competitive environment is fair enough.

People make far too much of how Malthouse behaves towards the media. Unfortunately you piss a few journalists off they are going to hammer you and what's worse is people are going to believe and go along with what they hear/read in the media.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back