Opinion Mick Malthouse

What is the next move on Mick?

• Sack him immediately; replacement coach to see out the year.

Votes: 192 48.9%
  • Let him coach out the year then show him the door.

Votes: 70 17.8%
  • Sign him now to give coaches and players some direction.

Votes: 81 20.6%
  • Not sure yet... still too angry to think clearly.

Votes: 50 12.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

His relationship with elements of the media is undoubtedly sour. I actually have to agree with AndrewVadermk2 and serenityNow that it would be preferable if Mick had more cordial relations with the press/media and that it is incumbant upon him to amend his approach if he wants to acheive this.

The only reason I wish for this is that it reduces the possibility of external pressure causing a rash decision to be made at board level.

What is truly important though is MM behind the scenes, man-management, forward planning, list building. In this he has very few peers.

I don't give a shit if the footy journalists like him or like the CFC. If we are liked we probably aren't winning.

Get us back to where we belong Mick and then tell as many half wits, boundary riders, and bloated hack "chief footy writers" to EAD as you like.

Ellas Ellas. There ARE positives on the list, just not the spread and volume you need.

I agree but there is enough to compete better than what we are producing. Our list is a decent list, remember Mick has two of our most important players sitting in the reserves and let another two go (Betts and Laidler). He is not beyond questioning in all this.

It's not a negative slant it's fact. The truth doesn't lie.

Our spine has no genuine successful forwards. Our midfield has no one you would even consider for All Australian except perhaps Gibbs and maybe Murphy who aren't realistic chances at all. It's shallow, lacks pace, skill and ball winning ability. We won a final last year, from 9th and it was Richmond who currently sit 12th then got whacked up in Sydney and this is still better going than we did previously under Ratten.

Yeah we've lost to a few bottom sides, who aren't that far below us and are close enough to our quality to get up and beat us. We aren't overly mentally tough and turn up expecting to win against bottom sides and flop. Beat those sides last year, we are a lot worse this year with our aging stars dropping off even more.

We have a couple of good players in their prime and a couple of kids in our best 22. It takes a lot more than you think it does to be a good top line footy side I am afraid. You can thank Ratten and Hughes for where we are now and why there aren't many 20-25 year olds standing up with Gibbs, Yarran and Murphy who are our best. The gap in genuine top end talent in this group is the problem.

TBH, if I could turn back time there's no way I'd sack Ratts and get Mick. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but blaming Ratten for Malthouse's poor performance is not.

Look at least you back your opinion up with something but I still don't agree with it. We are not this bad.

I agree but there is enough to compete better than what we are producing. Our list is a decent list, remember Mick has two of our most important players sitting in the reserves and let another two go (Betts and Laidler). He is not beyond questioning in all this.

Yep Mick told Eddie to leave.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But you're just re-writing history.

Because, we've lost, and I want to hear what he has to say, all I get is this attitude, it's stupid and it reflects poorly on the club and as a member I see that as his opportunity to tell us what went wrong during the game and he doesn't. It's like he thinks he's above it all.

MM has little time for most of the media hacks that ask stupid questions, eat sandwiches and present statements disguised as questions. Heard him tonight on 5AA and you can see where he was coming from. Pre match he was interviewed by the football luminary Mick Molloy. He was peeved that rather than getting game footage, he sees his image plastered over the screen. He walks into the rooms half time and has to contend with camera crews and journos taking up prime positions for video feed. Post match he's confronted by a journo that doesn't understand a not too complex response, then tries to wedge MM into some headline about Waite.

Watching the Melbourne football media from a distance, I have to agree with Mick's view that so called media identities have overinflated egos that generally (with some notable exceptions) offer little to the 'industry' be it print, radio or TV. They compete for relevance and pump out 20% fact, 80% fiction (opinion).
In the interview on Saturday night, he did mention the fadeouts that have caused problems all year. He didn't offer an explanation why as he either didn't have one or chose not to share it. That is his right.

I watched the game and formed my own opinion as to what went wrong, I didn't need MM to tell me what has been obvious for a while now.
I don't really care how he's perceived, he's in the middle of a 3 year contract and will be judged this time next year. Whether he is extended or cut, I only hope the Club improves as a result of that decision.

There is a reason why they are there.

He acts like a football coach towards the media and addresses them like players. Funny enough it has actually worked and they are now asking far better questions are appear more prepared, no one eating or being disrespectful like that. You might say he has got the best out of them, has a habit of doing this. People take it the wrong way, I don't find it rude, he's not calling people names or swearing. Arrogant or confident. He is supposed to be a figure of authority, might come across as arrogant perhaps. To me he's just a passionate football person who commands attention, respect and can get people to think about what they are doing. Alistair Clarkson has a similar approach to the media, not always but often. Great coach however.

Big problem with the world and I hate to say it but people are getting soft and so damn easily offended! People aren't taught to deal with criticism, being told off is a part of life but this is being softened every where, people aren't taught to deal with being "picked on" or having harsh things said to them any more and there are too many people out there who can't handle it. Even kids play sport in an environment where sport is played where score isn't kept so there are no losers! Schools and Kids sports have it wrong but that's an issue for another day. Unfortunately you get in the real world and it's not like this, you are tested.

People take mick the wrong way and the journos he offends take every chance to light him up the wrrong way. Don't fall for it.

As I said, there's nothing to gain from being liked, we're out there to be respected.
Your posts in this thread about MM have been well articulated.

Your point in a previous post about the media was, IMO, absolutely spot on. In Victoria particularly, the footy media have significant control over how the football community generally think about the game. Media personalities (they're not journalists) like Robinson, Watson, Connolly, Wilson etc have so many different forums in which they repeat the same message over & over again that their message can't help but end up as a false reality. We are seeing in this thread how readily some people buy the messages sold by these media personalities.

For all the criticism (or is that vendetta) directed at Malthouse, we hardly hear a peep about Hardwick's recent threat to belt a journalist, nor was there much gnashing of teeth when Clarkson called a journo a "********" (or similar); and how long did it take before some sections of the media finally turned on that scumbag Hird? It was only when it became totally obvious that he had overseen a doping program, the likes of which the game had never seen before, which has seen players placed at great risk of future health issues. Yet in the early days there were still plenty in the football media who didn't want to believe 'Goldenboy' could put a foot wrong.

Regardless of how the media portray Malthouse, the one thing I do know, based on his history as a coach, is that Malthouse will leave no stone unturned to get the best out of our players & to achieve the success we all desperately desire. If in the process he upsets some media prima donnas, well, they can suck it up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you saw the Northern Blues game against the Geelong VFL team a couple of weeks ago, you would understand why Garlett & Waite were running around in the VFL. To the credit of both players they had improved performances against Collingwood, but again Waite is injured & by all reports Garlett had no impact in Sunday's game against North Ballarat.

As for your reference to Laidler, both Simon White & Matty Watson have been pushed forward in recent weeks & have given their all, unlike Laidler who decided in his own mind that he should only have to play in defence. A good team like the Swans can carry the odd one-dimensional player, but a team in our position needs as many versatile players as possible due to our lack of overall depth in a number of positions.

Your posts in this thread about MM have been well articulated.

Your point in a previous post about the media was, IMO, absolutely spot on. In Victoria particularly, the footy media have significant control over how the football community generally think about the game. Media personalities (they're not journalists) like Robinson, Watson, Connolly, Wilson etc have so many different forums in which they repeat the same message over & over again that their message can't help but end up as a false reality. We are seeing in this thread how readily some people buy the messages sold by these media personalities.

For all the criticism (or is that vendetta) directed at Malthouse, we hardly hear a peep about Hardwick's recent threat to belt a journalist, nor was there much gnashing of teeth when Clarkson called a journo a "********" (or similar); and how long did it take before some sections of the media finally turned on that scumbag Hird? It was only when it became totally obvious that he had overseen a doping program, the likes of which the game had never seen before, which has seen players placed at great risk of future health issues. Yet in the early days there were still plenty in the football media who didn't want to believe 'Goldenboy' could put a foot wrong.

Regardless of how the media portray Malthouse, the one thing I do know, based on his history as a coach, is that Malthouse will leave no stone unturned to get the best out of our players & to achieve the success we all desperately desire. If in the process he upsets some media prima donnas, well, they can suck it up.

Highlighted points minus the underlined, a huge problem with the world. I really thing people would not know what to think if news was pure facts or there was no media at all.

Not just in football but with a huge range of issues. I hate to say it but most of our population struggle to look at the facts and come up with opinions based on them. They just hear what the media bang on about over and over again and believe it. Especially with politics and other major issues. It's really sickening some of the stuff the media have our population believing at times. The media and some extremest groups with big power really can control the world and make people believe anything.

Sport is a great example, the amount of garbage the media have the footy fans believing in out there is enormous. A lot of it is related to us at the moment.

I just hope that the Carlton board are smarter than that, understand exactly where we are at, stick to our guns and back Malthouse all the way because you just know he'll get things right sooner or later. Get the best people in around him at the club and build like mad. Will be extremely great to stick it right up the know-alls and prove a lot of people wrong.

Highlighted points minus the underlined, a huge problem with the world. I really thing people would not know what to think if news was pure facts or there was no media at all.

Not just in football but with a huge range of issues. I hate to say it but most of our population struggle to look at the facts and come up with opinions based on them. They just hear what the media bang on about over and over again and believe it. Especially with politics and other major issues. It's really sickening some of the stuff the media have our population believing at times. The media and some extremest groups with big power really can control the world and make people believe anything.

Sport is a great example, the amount of garbage the media have the footy fans believing in out there is enormous. A lot of it is related to us at the moment.

I just hope that the Carlton board are smarter than that, understand exactly where we are at, stick to our guns and back Malthouse all the way because you just know he'll get things right sooner or later. Get the best people in around him at the club and build like mad. Will be extremely great to stick it right up the know-alls and prove a lot of people wrong.

Long story short, people are lazy. That counts for both members of the media and for the general public.
I will say one thing though, there's a disturbing similarity between some Carlton and Essendon supporters in terms of thinking that the media is out to get their club.

Long story short, people are lazy. That counts for both members of the media and for the general public.
I will say one thing though, there's a disturbing similarity between some Carlton and Essendon supporters in terms of thinking that the media is out to get their club.
They're out to bring Mick down a notch because he's strong willed and doesn't take it lying down. You only had to watch Caro on FC going off and saying he's had a bad week after the Seven "debacle", his Judd comments and something else.

Journos can't take the criticism they dish out. They want their pound of flesh. You only have to read the garbage Ralph wrote for today's Herald-Sun. Bigger market for negative stories with 17 clubs lapping up negative news.

There is a reason why they are there.

Yep and that's where we differ. If two players that are up there with our best are now underperforming to the point where they can't get a game, the coach needs to be held accountable as well. None of you seem to think that and that's fine you're entitled to your opinion but then wtf are we paying 1 mill plus for? What is the point of having a coach at all? Just have a list manager and let the players do it all themselves, they do after all seem to be wearing all the blame.

If you saw the Northern Blues game against the Geelong VFL team a couple of weeks ago, you would understand why Garlett & Waite were running around in the VFL. To the credit of both players they had improved performances against Collingwood, but again Waite is injured & by all reports Garlett had no impact in Sunday's game against North Ballarat.

As for your reference to Laidler, both Simon White & Matty Watson have been pushed forward in recent weeks & have given their all, unlike Laidler who decided in his own mind that he should only have to play in defence. A good team like the Swans can carry the odd one-dimensional player, but a team in our position needs as many versatile players as possible due to our lack of overall depth in a number of positions.

White is not that versatile, he kicked four against the basket case of the comp, he won't be repeating that I guarantee. Don't even know how Watson enters the equation TBH.

Garlett and Waite are playing like two blokes that have lost their drive and their will to succeed. This has happened since the arrival of Malthouse.

Yep Mick told Eddie to leave.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But you're just re-writing history.

You do know how restricted free agency works don't you? He had the chance to keep him but opted to throw more coin at his has been son Daisy Thomas who BTW seems to be playing forward as well. I know who I'd rather have.

These are the players we have lost since 2011.

Austin
Betts
Bower
Collins
Duigan
Davies
Joseph
Hoops
Bray
Kerr
Labi
Laidler
Mitchell
McCarthy
O'Hailpan
O'keefe
Russell
Twomey
Dare
Hampson
Thornton
Scotland
Bootsma

Of those only Scotland, Betts and Laidler are worth a spot (maybe Duigan at his best). We've had the additions of Menzel, Docherty, Everitt, Thomas, Cripps, Graham and Johnson just to name a few. Players like Gibbs, Murphy, Yarran, Hendo and Casboult have all come on. Murphy, Gibbs, Yarran and hendo are all older and far more mature players. Murphy is finally doing the stuff real captains do. And you're trying to tell me our list is THAT FAR worse off than it was? Gimme a break guys, like I said, it's all down to opinion, and my opinion says we are not this bad list wise. We are clearly underperforming and the buck stops with the coach. At least with me anyway.

Last edited:
Agree,
But how odd! I mean just off the cuff, I would of thought 4/5 backmen would jump at the chance of playing forward. I mean aren't all backmen forwards who couldn't cut it at being forwards !
So was he worried about bombing again or he just doesn't like kicking goals ? !! Haha!

I admire your positiveness Ellas Ellas.
I'm just extremely disappointed (if true ) that hendo isn't injured.
If this is case he must go back and be a swingwan when required as his best football is down back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back