Opinion Mick Malthouse

What is the next move on Mick?

• Sack him immediately; replacement coach to see out the year.

Votes: 192 48.9%
  • Let him coach out the year then show him the door.

Votes: 70 17.8%
  • Sign him now to give coaches and players some direction.

Votes: 81 20.6%
  • Not sure yet... still too angry to think clearly.

Votes: 50 12.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Call them rumours. I call them facts because I know them to be true.

And you don't buy into them because it doesn't fit your anti Mick agenda.

Pffft, stop trying to put rumours across as fact, it does you no favours. I have no agenda, I'm merely discussing my opinion, albeit trying to with you bouncing around me.

Show me where I've contradicted myself?

And then you'll give the stock standard "I don't buy into rumours (even though I can assure you they're not rumours".

So I can't really be bothered. I do enjoy reading your theories though.

Pffft, stop trying to put rumours across as fact, it does you no favours. I have no agenda, I'm merely discussing my opinion, albeit trying to with you bouncing around me.
Denying something is fact because it doesn't fit your agenda does you no favours.

And what do we know - I predicted this exact response in my previous post. I must applaud your consistency - despite it being laughable.

It's true about Henderson as it was about Walker and as it is about Tuohy.
We had Collingwood announce today that Swan has been playing injured and to anyone that's watched Collingwood, that was pretty obvious.

Niggles are one thing but there are injuries that clip more than a couple of percent from best performance.
It's unfortunate though that for many reasons these players are played, produce well below their standard and become open to fans vitriol.

No one would know this more than for one Matthew Kreuzer.

It's unfortunate though that for many reasons these players are played, produce well below their standard and become open to fans vitriol.

To what benefit though? We're 14th on the ladder.

Yet we have the same handful of NB players toiling away each week with less than half a dozen AFL games for the season: Watson, McInnes, Graham, Cachia, Sheehan, Byrne, Lucas etc.

Play the kids!

We all want the same thing, a flag, we are obviously torn on how to get there. Amazing how some people can take things so personally.

To what benefit though? We're 14th on the ladder.

Yet we have the same handful of NB players toiling away each week with less than half a dozen AFL games for the season: Watson, McInnes, Graham, Cachia, Sheehan, Byrne, Lucas etc.

Play the kids!

1. Perceived Commercial benefit.
2. Keeping the public interested with their favoured players on the field.
3. Leadership requirements.
4. Maybe it's seen that 75% from player A is better than 100% from the likely replacement.

Not saying any of these are right and we're not the only club to manage players in a way that could ultimately be to their detriment.

Port's turnaround can been partly attributable to Hinkley. There a many other factors that Port have nailed - recruiting, administration, support staff and coaches. And, just to prove Hinkley is human, his coaching last Saturday was substandard. Didn't adjust Port's game plan till the last 1/4. Too little, too late. Had them playing dry weather football on a skating rink.

I suppose the Port turn-around (when Primus was coach I would have been prepared to bet that they were at least five years away from even thinking about making the eight) gives me some hope for the future - the rise of GCS and GWS tempers my hope. Interesting to watch the body language in the rooms before the Sydney match between Lo Guardice and Mick - I reckon Mick is really feeling the pressure and looked like he was trying to curry favour with Lo Guardice, who, likely knowing he was on camera, was certainly non-committal as far as his body language was concerned and really only nodded lightly in response to Mick. I wouldn't be against Lo Guardice sitting down with Mick fairly soon and offering him an extension to clear up the uncertainty and then let Mick live by and die by the sword as the case me be over the next 2-3 years. There just aren't that many tried and true coaches out there at the moment who are available who you would back over Mick - I reckon Matty Knights would be really good but the hierarchy would see him as a risk as some see him as "tainted"; as far as untried senior coaches go I would be willing to take a chance on Stuart Dew. Lo Guardice has to go one way or the other by the end of this year.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I suppose the Port turn-around (when Primus was coach I would have been prepared to bet that they were at least five years away from even thinking about making the eight) gives me some hope for the future - the rise of GCS and GWS tempers my hope. Interesting to watch the body language in the rooms before the Sydney match between Lo Guardice and Mick - I reckon Mick is really feeling the pressure and looked like he was trying to curry favour with Lo Guardice, who, likely knowing he was on camera, was certainly non-committal as far as his body language was concerned and really only nodded lightly in response to Mick. I wouldn't be against Lo Guardice sitting down with Mick fairly soon and offering him an extension to clear up the uncertainty and then let Mick live by and die by the sword as the case me be over the next 2-3 years. There just aren't that many tried and true coaches out there at the moment who you would back over Mick - I reckon Matty Knights would be really good but the hierarchy would see as a risk as some see him as "tainted"; as far as untried senior coaches go I would be willing to take a chance on Stuart Dew.
No to knights don't rate him at all and I credit his vfl success with the strength of the Geelong regime rather than his couching nouse.

Yeah sure, let's applaud Hinkley for Ports rise but would we also applaud him for losing four out of the last five?
It's also quite possible for Hinkley to lose at least four of the next six..........What then?..........Hero to zero can come about very quickly.

Port have done well and it did start from the top in getting all and sundry to buy in..........keeping it going though is somewhat tougher.

No to knights don't rate him at all and I credit his vfl success with the strength of the Geelong regime rather than his couching nouse.
only from outsiders view but Roos, then roos then roos

it took roos what half a season and we are seeing results instantly, mick has had 3 times that length then says silly things like we are in window (not sure if he just said that to get players confidence up) then goes to we lack talent etc. and we are were we should be with this list. I believe when taking age into account our list is poissibly the worst list in the afl. sure saints and co have worst lists now but there is alot of room for development, we have aging stars or soon to be delisted.

pity we couldnt nab roos but yea all good,

Are we really seeing results with Roos? They're below us on the ladder. Their improvement from bottom 2 to bottom 4 could easily be attributed to the recruitment of mature players like Vince, Cross & Tyson.

Are we really seeing results with Roos? They're below us on the ladder. Their improvement from bottom 2 to bottom 4 could easily be attributed to the recruitment of mature players like Vince, Cross & Tyson.

Some were also lauding Richardson after St.Kilda's first few weeks this year.
Doesn't that seem like a long time ago now?

You need the cattle and you need that cattle being steered in the same direction. Just can't happen otherwise.

The test in the pudding will be in 2015. We'll finish bottom 6 and we'll get a softer draw (probably only play Collingwood and Essendon twice of the current top 8). We'll most likely have two games also against the likes of the Saints, Brisbane, Bulldogs, GWS, Melbourne... albeit even though bottom 6 now a good test of Mick and the list as these teams (bar Saints) should improve a bit next year.

If we can't navigate through next year with at least 10 wins, then I would have to say things in the coaching dept may need to change... but like any coaching tenor we'll know by midway through 2015 the lay of the land and as such Mick should understand that contract negotiations shouldn't commence or happen until then.

The test in the pudding will be in 2015. We'll finish bottom 6 and we'll get a softer draw (probably only play Collingwood and Essendon twice of the current top 8). We'll most likely have two games also against the likes of the Saints, Brisbane, Bulldogs, GWS, Melbourne... albeit even though bottom 6 now a good test of Mick and the list as these teams (bar Saints) should improve a bit next year.

If we can't navigate through next year with at least 10 wins, then I would have to say things in the coaching dept may need to change... but like any coaching tenor we'll know by midway through 2015 the lay of the land and as such Mick should understand that contract negotiations shouldn't commence or happen until then.
one positive thing i hope is that our new president is a business man. Why hand out another contract so early, let people work for new contracts and also gives carlton time to weigh up all aspects rather than jumping and doing silly things.

It's true about Henderson as it was about Walker and as it is about Tuohy.
We had Collingwood announce today that Swan has been playing injured and to anyone that's watched Collingwood, that was pretty obvious.

Niggles are one thing but there are injuries that clip more than a couple of percent from best performance.

No one would know this more than for one Matthew Kreuzer.

Yep that's fair enough, but anyone can declare something to be true over the net, means absolutely nothing. Let's just stick to the facts. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back