Opinion Mick Malthouse

What is the next move on Mick?

• Sack him immediately; replacement coach to see out the year.

Votes: 192 48.9%
  • Let him coach out the year then show him the door.

Votes: 70 17.8%
  • Sign him now to give coaches and players some direction.

Votes: 81 20.6%
  • Not sure yet... still too angry to think clearly.

Votes: 50 12.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Robbo was almost ready to kiss Sellers. It was actually hilarious. Sellers wants the AFL to step in and make sure Mick can't get the coaching record.

Gerard then said to him - in April on radio Sellers said Carlton have to re-sign Mick for the long term to ensure stability.
Sellers flat out denied it.

Gerard said - no you said it.

Sellers then had to back track.

Was just a car crash.

What did Sellers have to say?
Mick shouldn't be allowed to coach.

He has zero match day coaching skills.

He is a bully. He is an embarrassment. He has no friends bla bla.

And what I said above in my other post.

Funny how Sellers could only name the failures who were assistants under Mick (Watters and Neeld) - would've been nice if someone reminded him about Brad Scott & Guy McKenna.

But that would just diminish his argument.
if they were developed well enough to get a gig at senior level then id say MM had done his job.

Mick shouldn't be allowed to coach.

He has zero match day coaching skills.

He is a bully. He is an embarrassment. He has no friends bla bla.

And what I said above in my other post.

Seriously? We seem to have an abnormal number of club aligned folk who contribute the critique and not much else.

no match day coaching skills? thats ridiculous. like or not he is a very good match day coach.
Exactly.

Only have to look at the first half on Saturday night.

Not Mick's fault our players are incapable of playing four quarters.

Gotta say I do respect Mick but given the proverbial trainwreck this season has been, I pray that it is just an abbaration and that he and the board know exactly what they're doing and what they need to do and that the faults of this season won't recur next year because honestly i don't think I could take it.

Robbo was almost ready to kiss Sellers. It was actually hilarious. Sellers wants the AFL to step in and make sure Mick can't get the coaching record.

Gerard then said to him - in April on radio Sellers said Carlton have to re-sign Mick for the long term to ensure stability.
Sellers flat out denied it.

Gerard said - no you said it.

Sellers then had to back track.

Was just a car crash.
Sellars gets himself sucked in by Robbo, Whateley & the likes & then comes off looking like a fool.

He would actually be best advised not to get dragged into discussions about our club. There is no doubting his passion for our club, but his Carlton is still that of the '70s & '80s. He struggles to accept that what the club could do back then cannot be done now. We no longer have exclusive access to the cream of the talent coming out of Bendigo (e.g. the Selwoods), nor can we rely on high profile supporters to arrange public service jobs for those we want to bring from interstate (e.g. Jesaulenko) & we can't go interstate signing the best juniors on Form 4s. We have to play the game like everyone else & unfortunately we have only started to accept this in recent years.

Just for context, Sellers was adamant Gibbs would leave and had already signed a deal with Adelaide.

I don't think we're going to sack Mick, but ATM I think there is a possibility he could end up standing down.

This whole media frenzy... Eddie, Robbo, Caro with agendas and Mick said that if he wouldn't have coached if his family was impacted... Now it might be getting to them?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love Sellars but he's old school, just like Carlton have been for a very long time.

The old way, particularly the old Carlton was was when the team slumped you sack the coach and the new one would walk in, get rid of a heap of players and bring a heap of players with him and up the ladder we'd go. Did it with Parko twice!

Unfortunately things don't work that way any more. Back in the old day aspiring coaches would have heaps of players hidden and lined up ready to walk into a club with them like Parko did with all the SA boys who turned out to be champions.

Sorry Sellars but times have changed, you sack the coach if it's a guy who doesn't know what he's doing and having them play a bad brand of footy and playing guys in wrong positions and is no good on match day (Richmond) or if he's running the list down with poor trading and culling (Ratten). You don't go and sack the coach just because the team is losing. You identify why the team is losing, you sack who is responsible which we have done (Hughes and Ratten are gone) and then identify what needs to be done to fix it with a vague time frame and you start again.

We're doing that! We don't need any archaic method that no longer applies to today's game and rules! We need to be smart and extremely analyticall about this, have a system in place, have the whole footy club on the same page with the same goals and understanding of the problem and solution.

Mark Logiudice has a big challenge on his hand's. He's going to need to say no to a lot of people, not just media and their pressure but good Carlton people like Sellars. I hope he realises he's not there to make everyone happy and bringing change or superstars to bring hope like we have in the past has been our undoing. I think he will do well because he needs to be very business like, hire the best people and let them have time to fix the problems. Understanding the modern game and how it works and the time frames etc will be important. Understanding that there are no quick fixes etc. Old school football people with old school football methods running modern clubs in the modern era seem to be bad news and we're getting away from that. What worked in the past no longer works in the present and can actually have negative effects.

I'm beginning to think the media won't let up until we sack Mick.

It just seems to be becoming like one of the typical media driven coach sackings.

They smell blood because they know our board always takes the easy way out (i.e. sack the coach and everything will be ok).

no match day coaching skills? thats ridiculous. like or not he is a very good match day coach.

Really his choice if sub at times has been weird to say the least. Likewise some of his moves to combat issues take place a quarter too late.

Teams constantly exploiting our failure to protect the corridor?

I would say the team plays better when they don't hug the boundaries as per MM game plan.

I am not yet convinced that
a) his game plan will win games against good sides
b) the majority of players have bought into Mick and his game plan.

Really his choice if sub at times has been weird to say the least. Likewise some of his moves to combat issues take place a quarter too late.

Teams constantly exploiting our failure to protect the corridor?

I would say the team plays better when they don't hug the boundaries as per MM game plan.

I am not yet convinced that
a) his game plan will win games against good sides
b) the majority of players have bought into Mick and his game plan.

Valid points.

In regards to -

a) IMO we have gotten closer to all of the good sides under Mick than we ever got under Ratts.
b) I think this is more of an issue of certain players being extremely lazy and others just being not very good footballers.

I'm beginning to think the media won't let up until we sack Mick.

It just seems to be becoming like one of the typical media driven coach sackings.

That is definitely what they want, it is up to the club to hold it's nerve and not give in to external pressures.

Funnily enough they showed a compilation of coaches carrying on in the coaches box tonight on fox footy. All equally as over the top as Mick, yet no one ever cares.

I suspect we'll have a new panellist on next The Blue Print episode.

The club won't stand by Maclure's sour grapes.

Wouldn't be a bad idea to replace them both in my opinion.

Maher has no problem defending the indefensible when it comes to Essendon yet just joins in with the Carlton bashing when it starts.

You identify why the team is losing, you sack who is responsible which we have done (Hughes and Ratten are gone) and then identify what needs to be done to fix it with a vague time frame and you start again.
Ratten coached a winning side that Malthouse has turned into a pack of plodders that give up or simply don't try like they did under ratts, you cannot rationally abuse him and give malthouse a pass mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back